Question About Watch Inactivity...
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Question About Watch Inactivity...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question About Watch Inactivity...

Is there a risk about buying a watch sold as new that might have sat for a period of four (4) to six (6) years? I am contemplating buying a Bretling watch that based on my research was last made around 2008. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Re: Question About Watch Inactivity...

I think you've answered your own question. Yes, especially if buying from a grey market seller, watches are often several years old, if not more, and often discontinued models. It's not a bad idea to factor in a possible service if the watch is approaching 4-5 years old.

Banned

If the watch had been stored in a safe, clean package and environment, and has not been worn, then it should not require a service even if 4+ years old.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan12 View Post
    If the watch had been stored in a safe, clean package and environment, and has not been worn, then it should not require a service even if 4+ years old.
    The conventional wisdom is that even if the watch has been kept unused, it will require service at the same service interval due to the deterioration of the lubricants in the movement.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Banned

How come when I raise the issue of service intervals with watch repairers they tell me not to bother about servicing too much on a lightly used watch, and not to ho opening a petfectly functioning watch just for the sake of an arbitrary year period. It's only on this forum that religious servicing is espoused.

Edit: off topic but... Real world watch technicians tell me not to even wear a divers watch in the shower, let alone a sauna, etc. Yet again, many on this forum seem to revel in such behaviour. What gives?
    Last edited by Brendan12; December 30th, 2012 at 01:59.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    The conventional wisdom is that even if the watch has been kept unused, it will require service at the same service interval due to the deterioration of the lubricants in the movement.
    That is true in the past. But today lubricants have much longer service life.

For example, the lubricant used in SEIKO 9F quartz caliber (9 jewels and oiling points) is guaranteed to last for 50 years under continuous working condition. IMO a 6-year inactive mechanical watch should work fine as long as the watch is sealed, stored in normal room temperature, and no aggressive chemical around it.
    Regards,
    Indera

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Edit: off topic but... Real world watch technicians tell me not to even wear a divers watch in the shower, let alone a sauna, etc. Yet again, many on this forum seem to revel in such behaviour. What gives?
    I guess the heat would cause the watch case to expand, while leaving the gasket size unchanged, which would compromise the seal integrity?

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

How come when I raise the issue of service intervals with watch repairers they tell me not to bother about servicing too much on a lightly used watch, and not to ho opening a petfectly functioning watch just for the sake of an arbitrary year period. It's only on this forum that religious servicing is espoused.
    I believe it's better to be safe than sorry. This is an interesting recent thread on the topic. Should really be a sticky!

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/how...ew-789280.html
    Perseus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    I believe it's better to be safe than sorry. This is an interesting recent thread on the topic. Should really be a sticky!

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/how...ew-789280.html
    Good move GlennO, I was going to post the same thread. I really appreciate hearing the information from the horses mouth, and a respected horse at that! I also get annoyed that people pass off something that someone told them as gospel whether that person is really qualified or knowledgeable on the subject. See Facebook for a million examples!

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    I guess the heat would cause the watch case to expand, while leaving the gasket size unchanged, which would compromise the seal integrity?
    :) #3
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=4461406

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information