A Question of Buying Ethics

Thread: A Question of Buying Ethics

Suspended

A Question of Buying Ethics

Like a lot of us, I love lurking in the For Sale forum and like a lot of us, I love saving a few dollars that can be found there.

And, like a lot of us, really appreciate the fine work by the boutique watch makers that we find in many forums here.

I have no problem saving money when buying the "big name" but if I buy a watch from a boutique company, I feel like I should "support" them by buying from them so they get my money rather than buying it from the FS forum, know what I mean?

is this crazy talk?

Re: A Question of Buying Ethics

High resale values support higher MSRPs which sustains companies prices unless they have an Invicta like business model.

Suspended

makes sense, thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I believe that in the long term, having a healthy second hand market for a watch brand can only help the brand, not hurt it. It allows some to buy at a lower price to get into the brand - and eventually they may purchase from an AD or directly from the manufacturer if they like the watch. It allows others to flip their watches - and there are some of us here who are compulsive flippers. If the secondary market wasn't there, those people would likely not purchase the watch to begin with. The more people who are exposed to the brand, the better it is overall.

I can understand why some of the larger manufacturers try to control their distribution channels, set minimum advertised prices, fight the gray market etc. While I may not personally care for all those strategies, many of them can make sound business sense. However, if you try to prohibit the sale of used items (as some companies have tried) it will quickly reduce the value of whatever you're selling. I'm sure that part of the decision process with picking a Rolex or Panerai is the belief that if you ever wanted to sell it you'd get a good chunk of your money back.

So, buy from wherever you're comfortable with. The more watches that are sold through all channels the better it is for the company.

Suspended

thanks guys...i guess the point is, even if the money doesn't go directly to the company, the company still wins in the "big picture"

Not crazy - shows that you have a conscience. I try to buy pre-owned watches that are accompanied by AD paperwork. Not only for any remaining warranty but also to insure myself that it's not gray market goods. A strong secondary market always helps market efficiencies. It's all good in my humble opinion.
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Ball Hydrocarbon GMT I, Citizen Navihawk, Casio PAW1300-3V, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph, Rolex GMT-Master II, O&W ID3066, Seiko AGS Flightmaster, Baume & Mercier World Timer, Zenith Stratos Striking Tenth Felix Baumgartner

Quote Originally Posted by k7lro View Post
    Not crazy - shows that you have a conscience. I try to buy pre-owned watches that are accompanied by AD paperwork. Not only for any remaining warranty but also to insure myself that it's not gray market goods. A strong secondary market always helps market efficiencies. It's all good in my humble opinion.
    Conscience? Many well known Swiss brands feed the gray market or turn a "blind eye", they have no conscience. The machine keeps churning. Buy what you like and save where you can. The little independent guys do not have gray market issues, like you I want them to well also.
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

I was referring to the guy who asked the question - no one else.
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Ball Hydrocarbon GMT I, Citizen Navihawk, Casio PAW1300-3V, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph, Rolex GMT-Master II, O&W ID3066, Seiko AGS Flightmaster, Baume & Mercier World Timer, Zenith Stratos Striking Tenth Felix Baumgartner

The vast majority of "boutiques", but importantly NOT ALL, are just thumbing thru chinese catalogues to make their brands.
    It's mostly crazy talk.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Thread Information