A Question on Buying a Slightly Used Rolex
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: A Question on Buying a Slightly Used Rolex

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Question on Buying a Slightly Used Rolex

Hi WUS folks,

I'm in hunt for a Rolex Sub no date. I have found a local one, which is 2 months old and was bought from an AD. I have two questions regarding that:

- The price for this watch is almost 10-12% lower than buying a new one from an AD (considering negotiations). In your opinion is it a fair price?
    - Is the waranty transferable and for that, should I go to the original AD?

Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Re: A Question on Buying a Slightly Used Rolex

You'll have o pay tax and pretty much right back to MSRP. Why not just buy online from out of state or get it fro ma 2nd hand market like DavidSW or Takuya?

Warranties are transferable from what I have read. There are some people claiming certain service centers saying they are not but Rolex headquarters say it is. At least that's what I read on the forums.
    a_watch and Relojes like this.

Is the Warranty card stamped by the AD? If so, should be transferrable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    a_watch likes this.
    IG: Tavio_George

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You're getting a little bit of a deal. Call Rolex about their warranty. I think most warranties stay with the watch.
    a_watch likes this.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

Banned

warranty should transfer, if you are worried about the price then just go gray market. things rarely go wrong during the warranty period anyway which pertains to both your warranty concern as well as Jomashop
    a_watch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by m0c021 View Post
    You'll have o pay tax.
    What tax? I assume he is being offered the watch at 10% less than a brand new one after taking taxes into account. Are you saying that there is no tax on new items but you have to pay tax on used items in Canada? That makes no sense.

If the watch has no significant marks or scratches, and comes with all correct boxes and papers, then 10% off brand new is reasonable. 20% would be great. Don't be in a hurry to buy and try to negotiate. You could ask for a free service to sweeten the deal.
    a_watch likes this.
    Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
    What tax? I assume he is being offered the watch at 10% less than a brand new one after taking taxes into account. Are you saying that there is no tax on new items but you have to pay tax on used items in Canada? That makes no sense.

If the watch has no significant marks or scratches, and comes with all correct boxes and papers, then 10% off brand new is reasonable. 20% would be great. Don't be in a hurry to buy and try to negotiate. You could ask for a free service to sweeten the deal.
    Pretty sound advice.

As for warranty, if the watch was bought and stamped at a Rolex AD then yes warranty is transferable.

That's right. All fees into account, the slightly used one is around 10% lower.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Well I didn't noticed he was in Canada. Anyways, all I was stating is that if there is tax (8% or higher for me) then you can probably get brand new from a different state without paying tax.

Interstate tax is not collected by the merchant at time purchase if the item is being shipped to a different state. The buyer is supposed to pay a use tax for that amount (as in report that you bought the item without paying tax on your tax returns). So what I am saying is, buying used watch in the same state will get taxed while buying a new watch out of state will not. But what I am really saying is buying out of state is not taxed.
    Last edited by m0c021; October 21st, 2016 at 18:38.
    Seibei likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by m0c021 View Post
    Interstate tax is not collected by the merchant at time purchase if the item is being shipped to a different state. The buyer is supposed to pay a use tax for that amount (as in report that you bought the item without paying tax on your tax returns). So what I am saying is, buying used watch in the same state will get taxed while buying a new watch out of state will not. But what I am really saying is buying out of state is not taxed.
    Thank you for explaining that. What a kludge.
    m0c021 likes this.
    Have a nice day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information