question on ETA-2824-2 accuracy

Thread: question on ETA-2824-2 accuracy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

question on ETA-2824-2 accuracy

Hi folks,

I have recently purchaced a marathon SAR with ETA 2824-2 movement. It has been almost 2 weeks since i have received the watch and it has gained only 2 seconds...my question is: how is that possible..how can the movement be so accurate considering that in this case is not certified chronometre..??

thnx for the possible answers...!!!

Elio

Re: question on ETA-2824-2 accuracy

You have very good luck I'd say.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

I would say that it is very expensive to get the paper. Some companys just forsake that in order to sell watches at low price points.

My new sector is 2 weeks old and it has a val 7750 and it is 12 seconds fast. well within the 6 sec a day guideline

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    You have very good luck I'd say.
    maybe its luck..who knows...by the way..is it true that automatics slow over time..??

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinwalter View Post
    I would say that it is very expensive to get the paper. Some companys just forsake that in order to sell watches at low price points.

My new sector is 2 weeks old and it has a val 7750 and it is 12 seconds fast. well within the 6 sec a day guideline
    that might explain things... thnx a lott!!

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by nukleuz View Post
    maybe its luck..who knows...by the way..is it true that automatics slow over time..??
    Well, some will be slow, some will run faster, some don´t. But it has something to do with the fatigue of material. Please take into consideration that a mechanical watch beats at 28.800 b/h which are 672.000 b/d, which are 4.704.000 beats per week. I leave it up to you to figure out the beats in a lifetime of a watch. Fatigue of material is quite a normal appearence, the main spring isn´t made for everlastingness.

You´ll find a lot of accuracy related threads on WUS/Public Forum when using the search function. Just type "accuracy".

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

The standard grade ETA 2824-2 is going to be within -12 to +12 sec per day. That's what the production line is set up to produce.

The distribution will be a bell shaped curve with the peak probably around +5 sec/day, and slowly dropping off to near zero at the + and - 12 sec ends. These rate are measure on a machine. As we all know, the rate you will get on your wrist can be significantly different due to the positional rate variation and your habits.

Don't confuse a daily rate error that is near zero with a watch that is chronometer grade. Chronometers certified movements are held to much lower positional variation as well as are require to be much more consistant that you average movement.

(All that said, a standard grade movement that is regulated to near zero on your wrist, is more that good enough. Unless, you are trying to find the new world with just a compass, sextant and a watch.)

I had replied in another thread to you about my G-SAR. It is not that accurate. Mine looses about 6 seconds a day or so. I have a Doxa with the same movement. It has gained 10 seconds in 3 months. I have 3 "certified" Chronometer watches. My Omega Seamaster loses about 10+ seconds a day and both of my Submariners loose 10-12 seconds a day. Granted, all of these watches are older but they have been serviced and regulated.

Some watchmakers do a very good job when they assemble and regulate a watch. That is where most of the good running watches come from. It isn't all about the brand name or the movement. In fact, my most accurate watch is a d Freemont Semi-Skeleton. It runs -1 second a day and I have had it for a couple years now. I haven't reset it since I got it and it is 12 minutes slow. It has an ETA 2824 as well. Who ever built that movement and regulated that watch did a bang up job. You just get lucky sometimes. Plus, as mentioned, don't expect it to run forever as accurate.

Smurfe

Bottom line; tunning!

Quote Originally Posted by smurfe View Post
    I had replied in another thread to you about my G-SAR. It is not that accurate. Mine looses about 6 seconds a day or so. I have a Doxa with the same movement. It has gained 10 seconds in 3 months. I have 3 "certified" Chronometer watches. My Omega Seamaster loses about 10+ seconds a day and both of my Submariners loose 10-12 seconds a day. Granted, all of these watches are older but they have been serviced and regulated.

Some watchmakers do a very good job when they assemble and regulate a watch. That is where most of the good running watches come from. It isn't all about the brand name or the movement. In fact, my most accurate watch is a d Freemont Semi-Skeleton. It runs -1 second a day and I have had it for a couple years now. I haven't reset it since I got it and it is 12 minutes slow. It has an ETA 2824 as well. Who ever built that movement and regulated that watch did a bang up job. You just get lucky sometimes. Plus, as mentioned, don't expect it to run forever as accurate.

Smurfe
    Thanks guys...i think i really got lucky this time...but time will tell if this is indeed the case...Thanks for your opinions...

All the best!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information