Question I may already know the answer to: Grails.

Thread: Question I may already know the answer to: Grails.

Question I may already know the answer to: Grails.

Ok, I lied, maybe a couple questions. about trading up/grails.

1-Smarter to sell of those you wish to and then purchase or smarter to find someone willing to take a multi-watch trade down?

2-Is my fear of not being totally satisfied valid?

These two questions surround myself realizing that there are some watches that I do not really love as much as I had thought. And then thinking that trading them off could get me something that I would love (maybe not a grail, but something different/better.etc) I dont hate the watches that i'm thinking of trading/selling, but I do know that if i cant get what i had wanted, I dont want to get rid of them.

Thats what is holding me back, I "know" if i sell them i have better chance of getting something that i want...but if i dont end up getting it, i'll feel i sold for nothing. That and finding someone with what i want that wants what i have wont be easy.

Hmm, your thoughts? Past experiences?

Re: Question I may already know the answer to: Grails.

I sold a ton of inexpensive, mediocre watches and a few mid range unremarkable watches that I have been hording the past year and funded at 100% the purchase of a used Planet Ocean, a used Speedy Pro, a new Zinex Trimix pepsi, and have enough for a used or new Longines Legend Diver and then some. Z-Freak inspired my sell off with his. I feel liberated not having a closet full of watches that I never find time to wear and feel guilty for not wearing. My grail watch is the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Diver, and I could probably off most all my watches to fund it (for a used), but I think I want to wait a few years..

...also, it is a buyers market on the used watch sales. Time to take advantage and get the nicer watches (not necessarily the grails) you have been pining over.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hmm sounds promising, though i'm sure what i'm thinking wont bring in that kind of cash. Two different idea's, one involves me keeping 4 watches and after sell off i'd buy a 5th. The other involves me keeping 6 and after sell off i'd buy 1 to make 7.

But, trade or sell is what i'm stuck on. If i sell i could get one grail/semi grail-ish watch, trading will take longer and i'll prolly end up with near or slightly less then the total number of watches i have now.

I suppose its a two fold problem:1 trade or sell and 2 i dont hate them, just dont love them~so if i sell and dont find or cant find what i want i'll feel as though i lost. Problem with that is, if i find what i want i'd then have to sell them all off quickly to have a chance at getting something I just found.

IDK, maybe i'm over thinking this.

It's not easy to find someone willing to do multi-watch trades, as in your 3,4 watches for 1.
    You should wait until you find something you KNOW you REALLY want and then make plans.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    It's not easy to find someone willing to do multi-watch trades, as in your 3,4 watches for 1.
    You should wait until you find something you KNOW you REALLY want and then make plans.
    +1

It will be hard to find the right customer willing to do multi-watch trades. During the 20 years of being into watches I never tried to do a multi-watch trade. If I wanted to get an expensive watch I sent watches in for auction. Did that several times and got good money for the lot.

Hmm, I'm so bad at picking prices. Is there a place that gives good estimates for different brands or types or condition? Maybe just put them on ebay with reserve and see what happens? Or maybe fish them on here for sale/trade and see what happens?

This question comes up frequently, along with its close cousins, on all of the fora. Remember that for us WIS types this is a hobby/passion. A big part of any hobby is learning about all of the components that go into it. You start where your financial means will allow. I know guys who have very nice collections that contain watches that are less than $200 each.

I went through different phases over the past 10 years that I have seriously considered this a hobby. I have owned over 100 watches, but now I find that I don't want more than 15. I culled my collection down to meet a very specific need;aviation type watches with GMT.

I like to learn about watches, therefore, I took the Time Zone level 1 course. I now have a much greater appreciation for mechanical watches and the expertise that goes into working on them.

I also enjoy visiting watch factories around the world. I highly recommend a visit to Sinn if you are ever in Frankfurt for example.

So, don't worry too much. Sell the watches that you are not wearing and chalk it up to experience. You hardly ever get what you think you watch is worth in the second hand market. Only a few truly rare watches command high prices.

my 2 cents
    "Some people work for a living, me, I'd rather fly!"

Well, barring any changes, I think i'm going to be slapping 4-7 watches as FTOS and see what happens from there. I'm not sure that i would need to trade up for 1 nicer watch, as im sure there are a fair number of 1:1 or near 1:1's i could do and end up happier.

It was reading these forums that lead me to recently discover that i have been traveling down the wrong path in watches. Some i currently own were purchased because, at the time i liked them, they were something i didnt have yet: domed crystal, titanium, etc. For whatever reason at the time i found those watches they seemed great, but now look passed them in the box as if they werent there.

Never been a flipper, always said i'd keep every watch i ever buy. But now that just dont make sense to me. It would be like putting money in a jar and saying "there it is, i'll leave it there forever." May as well trade/sell for something i'll enjoy.

In the end, my grails arent crazy expensive anyway. Well, compared to some. New 1500-3000, used i'd guess near half that. Perhaps i'll just make trades and save up for them the old fashion way.

Anyway, end rant. Thanks for replying.

Thread Information