A question for lefties. Or anyone with an opinion.

Thread: A question for lefties. Or anyone with an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A question for lefties. Or anyone with an opinion.

Ok I'm about to buy my first mechanical chronograph. Currently deciding between two watches. I wont post pics at this point because I don't want to get caught up in aesthetics. I wear my watches on my right wrist. One of the watches has left handed crown and pushers. Ideal for me I thought, though I slightly prefer the look of the other.

Question is, is it a distinct advantage practically, for operating the pushers? Any lefties out there with normal chronos who wish they had a left handed one?

Re: A question for lefties. Or anyone with an opinion.

I'm also a lefty, but I haven't owned any chronos as of yet. I'm an odd one, though, as I wear my watches on my left wrist. I also play guitar and bat and golf 'right-handed'. I work in retail, so I tend to notice other lefties, and there are a few like me that 'watch left'.

I hear we're only about 11% of the population, so it's always cool to meet other lefties.

Ever tried rightie scissors??? Downright discrimination, heheh. Our 'store' scissors are rightie... Perhaps I should sue my boss for it? Heheh.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Ok I'm about to buy my first mechanical chronograph. Currently deciding between two watches. I wont post pics at this point because I don't want to get caught up in aesthetics. I wear my watches on my right wrist. One of the watches has left handed crown and pushers. Ideal for me I thought, though I slightly prefer the look of the other.

Question is, is it a distinct advantage practically, for operating the pushers? Any lefties out there with normal chronos who wish they had a left handed one?
    I am a lefty as well wearing watches on my right wrist. Never ever faced a problem in handling the chronos on the right wirst.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't think it would make much difference; with a standard chrono on the left wrist you would support the watch with your thumb and operate the pushers with your fingers; if you have the watch on your right wrist, then it is fingers to support and thumb to operate...or just rotate your (left)hand around and support with the thumb again.

I am a rightie but wear my watch on my right wrist and I never have problems and I use my "worst" hand to press the buttons, so you should have no problems.
    "More Timex than Rolex"

Collection - Casio G Shock G-2900F - Texas instruments EZ430-Chronos - Chinese Sub Homage - Citizen New Master 22 - Sekonda Vintage 17J Manual - Timex Explorer - Elgin 1919 Grade 291 and Class 110 Pocket Watch - Timex Expedition T498529J - Vostok Amphibia Scuba Dude - Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical H69619533 - and others

Incoming - HMT Janata

Want List - Hamilton Khaki 38mm

My Site - jonbyrne.com

I'm right-handed for the most part (both my folks are left-handed, so I can do most things well left-handed -- including golf). And I wear my watch on my right hand, without any problem. In fact, I'm wearing the Seagull 1963 Chronograph on my right hand as I type now...

I'm a lefty, and used to wear my watches on my right wrist. Then I met my future wife and she thought it looked weird so I switched to wearing them on my left wrist. I will say from prior experience that I don't think it will matter much. Go with whichever chrono you like better!

Dylan

Ok well it appears there's no real advantage. Might still go for it, just for something different. Hell I dunno..too many damn watches out there . Cheers!

I'm not a lefty, but when I wear a chronograph I very rarely find an occasion to use the pushers. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have ever legitimately timed something with my mechanical chrono. I do occasionally play with it, but imagining the pushers on the other side of the case (away from my hand) I think it would be just as easy. What would bother me is if the crown were on the other side so I had to set the watch with my awkward hand. That is where lefties have my sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by peakay View Post
    I don't think it would make much difference; with a standard chrono on the left wrist you would support the watch with your thumb and operate the pushers with your fingers; if you have the watch on your right wrist, then it is fingers to support and thumb to operate...or just rotate your (left)hand around and support with the thumb again.
    I'm a lefty and that's what I do, no problem. I actually prefer the pushers facing the "wrong" way (towards the elbow) because there's no chance of them irritating my wrist when I bend it or whatever.

Setting the watch with my awkward hand isn't a big deal at all for me, but then again, there are some things I do right handed anyway (fortunately, using scissors is one of them--I don't think I've seen a pair of lefty scissors since 1st grade).
    Last edited by Lufelia; June 23rd, 2011 at 22:30. Reason: Bolded the wrong part of the quote. Derp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information