Question on smaller winding rotors.
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Question on smaller winding rotors.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question on smaller winding rotors.

I was wondering are smaller rotors less efficient in winding a watch? I can wear my flat Glashutte Original for an hour and it will not start but I literally give my ETA one shake on the wrist and it comes back to life again.

Does this have to do with the efficiency of rotors? I noticed many watchmakers use the smaller rotors such as ALS, PP, VC etc. Is it any less efficient than a full size automatic rotor? What's your experience? Usually, how many rotor spins is sufficient to charge your watch?

Re: Question on smaller winding rotors.

micro rotors are definitely less efficient than regular sized ones. i find miyota movements to start the most easily and build up a huge power reserve, even though the one I have is unidirectional winding. I have several ETA/valjoux 7750 watches, and those require a ton of wearing before they start running...
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

Next time my Alpinist (Seiko 6r15 movement) runs down ill see exactly what it takes to get it started again, but sometimes I swear just looking at it can get it going.
    Seiko Alpinist SARB017
    Seiko Spirit SBCA001
    Orient Black Mako
    Luch 1-Hand

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by WUSWIS View Post
    I was wondering are smaller rotors less efficient in winding a watch? I can wear my flat Glashutte Original for an hour and it will not start but I literally give my ETA one shake on the wrist and it comes back to life again.

Does this have to do with the efficiency of rotors? I noticed many watchmakers use the smaller rotors such as ALS, PP, VC etc. Is it any less efficient than a full size automatic rotor? What's your experience? Usually, how many rotor spins is sufficient to charge your watch?
    That's disturbing your GO needs a full hour of wear before it 'works'.
    I have a GO Sports Evolution (automatic) which comes to life pretty much straight away.

Yes a micro rotor can be somewhat less efficient. However if you are reasonably active and it takes an hour of wearing for the GO to start I would say it's time for a service. It may have been under-lubed at the factory.

That's interesting. I'll definitely have a look next time my GO goes flat and see exactly how long it takes to get going.

I'm not sure that it's related to the fact that is uses a micro-rotor. I've noticed something like this just between two automatics with full sized rotors.

My Seiko 5 Automatic starts almost immediately, whereas my ETA 2824 Longines Hydroconquest had to be worn for a good 5 to 10 minutes (depending on how active I am) to start working.

My guess was always that the Seiko 5 would stop running with a stronger "buffer" power reserve left, so it took less time to get going - and that the ETA ran itsself dry, so it took a bit longer. Not sure if there's any merit to this idea, I guess. This thread needs some Citizen M.
    Last edited by Seiko_Licker; October 13th, 2012 at 18:15.

I don't think the size of the rotor matters as much as the weight. A smaller rotor translates to less weight and torque when winding but if you have a small rotor made of solid gold or another heavy metal I don't see why winding would be any less efficient. Someone who is more versed in this area please chime in if I'm wrong.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Click HERE to visit my watch review channel

Update: I let the GO run flat and tried to start it. I let the rotor spin dozens of times and it will not start so I wound it by hand and it started after around 10 turns.

Anyone knows what's the difference in efficiency between wounding by rotor and by hand?

I noticed the GO's power reserve seems fine so it's weird it's not starting like my ETA?

Inactive

Update: I let the GO run flat and tried to start it. I let the rotor spin dozens of times and it will not start so I wound it by hand and it started after around 10 turns.

Anyone knows what's the difference in efficiency between wounding by rotor and by hand?

I noticed the GO's power reserve seems fine so it's weird it's not starting like my ETA?
    I'd get it checked out by the GO people.
    Hope it's covered by the warranty.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information