WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Question on TRaveling with Watches

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  mikkolopez 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a quick question. I'm heading over to Europe for about 10 days tomorrow and I was planning on bringing 4 or 5 watches with me. will I have any issues coming through customs when I come back into the US. do I need to somehow show that I didn't buy the watches in Europe.

Thanks

Nick

#5 ·
That sounds like a good idea. Take pictures before you leaving showing your ticket or some location or item in the background that's obviously taken in the US or at an earlier time.

I personally have never had any problems, but then again I don't have really expensive watches. I did wear my two most expensive ones and had two in a small case in my carry on luggage, but no one seemed to notice or care.

Finally, with the dollar as low as it is I'm not sure how many bargains you're really going to find in Europe now.

#6 ·
The customs dept used to have a form you could fill out(showing make, , sn) and they would sign it. You don't need reciepts or anything since all you doing is showing that it is already in the country. Upon returning you just showed the form if questioned.

Don

#9 · (Edited)
At large Canadian airports there is usually a Customs office where you can take your cameras, laptops, iPods, watches, etc. to be registered before you leave the country. This applies to items with a serial number only. The agent will take a little green card and list the items you want registered with their serial numbers - striking out any empty listing spaces (so you can't add an item later). Then you sign the card and the agent stamps it.

Upon your return, if an agent questions an item, you just show them the card.

Give yourself an extra 30 min to do this and just ask the ticket agent when you check in where you go to register an item with Customs.

(When I travel, I only take a dress watch and a diver - multiple watches are too much of an invitation for theft or loss.)

#10 ·
You are absolutely right here. But I've been questioned even though I've had that green card filled out.

zCustoms told me clearly that the filled out card means nothing. They want to know if I've been taxed on that product or not. Mind you, i stood my ground and they let me go.

I've talked to a Canadian flight attendant who told me that her fiance had to drive down to the airport/customs to provide the receipt for the engagement ring.

They can be an A$$ sometimes.

#11 ·
Hey guys, I have a quick question. I'm heading over to Europe for about 10 days tomorrow and I was planning on bringing 4 or 5 watches with me.
Just out of pure curiosity, what are you planning on doing style-wise that you're bringing 4 or 5 watches for a 10 day trip? I can see the idea of a day and a night watch (like a dress watch for going out and a beater for sightseeing), maybe a dive watch for swimming, but I'm having trouble hitting 5. Or is just purely for variation and not functionality?

#14 · (Edited)
Sorry, but this is one of my favourite topics....;-)

"Customs told me clearly that the filled out card means nothing."

I would have immediately asked them what, then, is the purpose of doing it in the first place and why is it offered at all? The agents doing that could be better employed elsewhere at the airport. If I didn't get an answer, I would immediately ask to see a supervisor. If you make that request, they must comply.

"They want to know if I've been taxed on that product or not."

My only response would have been : "Yes, I have - which is why I took the time to have that little green card filled out by your agent. And if you take it away from me without just cause, I will charge you with theft and bring over that police officer standing by the gate to make the arrest."

"Mind you, i stood my ground and they let me go."

Glad to hear you stood your ground. As long as you remain polite, low-key and professional, they will have no reason to "detain" you for anything else.

"I've talked to a Canadian flight attendant who told me that her fiance had to drive down to the airport/customs to provide the receipt for the engagement ring."

Unfortunately, flight crew usually breeze through Customs and Immigration in their own little line without ever having to submit to any kind of scrutiny. But if a bored Customs agent saw a big new rock on a flight attendant's finger, well, they might feel they should "investigate" that a bit further. :roll:

"They can be an A$$ sometimes."

Yes they can. And usually - because we let them.

#18 ·
have never travelled with more than 2 watches at a time, 1 am wearing from the time i left and 1 i just bought during the trip with a receipt

but with 4 or 5 watches you may get into a problem there, those custom police are just waitin' to pounce on you ... better stick to 2 at the most to be safe :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.