Question on TRaveling with Watches

Thread: Question on TRaveling with Watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question on TRaveling with Watches

Hey guys, I have a quick question. I'm heading over to Europe for about 10 days tomorrow and I was planning on bringing 4 or 5 watches with me. will I have any issues coming through customs when I come back into the US. do I need to somehow show that I didn't buy the watches in Europe.

Thanks

Nick

Re: Question on TRaveling with Watches

In Canada, it is recommended that any jewellery or high ticket items you take with you and are bringing back, you should bring your receipt.

That would be safest.

I have never taken 4 or 5 abroad but, i took 3 once, (One on the wrist) (2 in the case), and was never an issue either going or coming back. But best to play it safe.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As I rarely can locate receipts, I would use my phone to snap a quick digital photo of my watches with my departure ticket (the part they take). Just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by sschuldt View Post
    As I rarely can locate receipts, I would use my phone to snap a quick digital photo of my watches with my departure ticket (the part they take). Just in case.
    That sounds like a good idea. Take pictures before you leaving showing your ticket or some location or item in the background that's obviously taken in the US or at an earlier time.

I personally have never had any problems, but then again I don't have really expensive watches. I did wear my two most expensive ones and had two in a small case in my carry on luggage, but no one seemed to notice or care.

Finally, with the dollar as low as it is I'm not sure how many bargains you're really going to find in Europe now.

The customs dept used to have a form you could fill out(showing make, , sn) and they would sign it. You don't need reciepts or anything since all you doing is showing that it is already in the country. Upon returning you just showed the form if questioned.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by sschuldt View Post
    Top Idea , that i will do next time im travelling.

Party of me says just take the one on your wrist. Let's not forget, you are travelling and Customs just love watches, especially without the proper documentation. My travel watch is my Fortis Cosmonaut, not very dressy but also does not attract attention either.

At large Canadian airports there is usually a Customs office where you can take your cameras, laptops, iPods, watches, etc. to be registered before you leave the country. This applies to items with a serial number only. The agent will take a little green card and list the items you want registered with their serial numbers - striking out any empty listing spaces (so you can't add an item later). Then you sign the card and the agent stamps it.

Upon your return, if an agent questions an item, you just show them the card.

Give yourself an extra 30 min to do this and just ask the ticket agent when you check in where you go to register an item with Customs.

(When I travel, I only take a dress watch and a diver - multiple watches are too much of an invitation for theft or loss.)
    Last edited by PoliceDog; March 26th, 2008 at 15:49.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceDog View Post
    At large Canadian airports there is usually a Customs office where you can take your cameras, laptops, iPods, watches, etc. to be registered before you leave the country. This applies to items with a serial number only. The agent will take a little green card and list the items you want registered with their serial numbers - striking out any empty listing spaces (so you can't add an item later). Then you sign the card and the agent stamps it.

Upon your return, if an agent questions an item, you just show them the card.

Give yourself an extra 30 min to do this and just ask the ticket agent when you check in where you go to register an item with Customs.

(When I travel, I only take a dress watch and a diver - multiple watches are too much of an invitation for theft or loss.)
    You are absolutely right here. But I've been questioned even though I've had that green card filled out.

zCustoms told me clearly that the filled out card means nothing. They want to know if I've been taxed on that product or not. Mind you, i stood my ground and they let me go.

I've talked to a Canadian flight attendant who told me that her fiance had to drive down to the airport/customs to provide the receipt for the engagement ring.

They can be an A$$ sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information