Question for Watch Sellers...
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Question for Watch Sellers...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Question for Watch Sellers...

I listed a watch on eBay not too long ago and it sold for $2790. The buyer wasn't aware that eBay is now charging tax depending on which state you live in. I offered a refund to the buyer at his request.

We then began negotiating privately to save buyer on tax. Buyer reached out with an offer of $2600. I asked for $2630 - buyer was upset about the counter and went down to $2550.

After thinking about it - I agreed on the $2550.

I sent a paypal invoice with an accurate description, pictures and a service estimate from Rolex detailing the damage. Buyer pays.

Today I receive a message from buyer asking for a full refund because he wasn't aware of the damage at purchase - he just reviewed the attached estimate days later.

I offer to refund him a partial $100 to go towards repair as I was very transparent about everything and want the transaction to be pleasant.

He insists on a full refund.

I informed him that I will reach out to a previously interested buyer; if he is willing to purchase (mind you I would take a hit of about $150) - I will then refund him; if not he will need to go through paypal.

Am I wrong or right here as a seller?
    Panerai PAM 000.
    Tudor Black Bay (Blue Bezel). - purchased from teggy98 (WUS member)
    Tudor Black Bay (Black Bezel).
    G-Shock Full Metal (Gold).
    Cartier Tank Solo XL

Re: Question for Watch Sellers...

I'd say the initial contact and buyer trying to impose the costs caused by sales taxes (which should not be a surprise to anybody) were a first warning sign. You can never win with these sort of people so I would suggest not even trying (even if you humor their unreasonable demands 99 times,the only one they'll remember is the time you didn't, and you're just setting bad precedents for yourself). I'd say try to get your watch back and get out of this cycle of issues.

I'm selling on the Bay as well and I have to say after my last watch buy with the taxes, I said to myself NEVER AGAIN.

Now selling I'm afraid people are going to back out.
    The Bay is going to take a MASSIVE hit because of the tax policy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah this guy showed so many warning signs of being a difficult buyer I would have called off the sale long before. Especially when he lowered his offer because he was upset that you counteroffered???

Run, don't walk, away from guys like this. Nothing but trouble for a seller.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Should I offer him the refund? Or ask him to go through paypal.

He is getting a pelagos blue for $2550. The repair through Rolex is $520. he is till getting it at market value if you add both. and I am willing to give him $100 refund towards service.
    Panerai PAM 000.
    Cartier Tank Solo XL

Quote Originally Posted by noregrets View Post
    Yeah this guy showed so many warning signs of being a difficult buyer I would have called off the sale long before. Especially when he lowered his offer because he was upset that you counteroffered???

Run, don't walk, away from guys like this. Nothing but trouble for a seller.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    This would’ve caused me to cut bait and back out IMMEDIATELY. Honestly, who does this?
    Embrace the suck. “The suck”, is NOT associated with the watch for sale below...

FOR SALE: LUMINOX SXC 5027 GMT

Quote Originally Posted by bunnswatch View Post
    I listed a watch on eBay not too long ago and it sold for $2790. The buyer wasn't aware that eBay is now charging tax depending on which state you live in. I offered a refund to the buyer at his request.

We then began negotiating privately to save buyer on tax. Buyer reached out with an offer of $2600. I asked for $2630 - buyer was upset about the counter and went down to $2550.

After thinking about it - I agreed on the $2550.

I sent a paypal invoice with an accurate description, pictures and a service estimate from Rolex detailing the damage. Buyer pays.

Today I receive a message from buyer asking for a full refund because he wasn't aware of the damage at purchase - he just reviewed the attached estimate days later.

I offer to refund him a partial $100 to go towards repair as I was very transparent about everything and want the transaction to be pleasant.

He insists on a full refund.

I informed him that I will reach out to a previously interested buyer; if he is willing to purchase (mind you I would take a hit of about $150) - I will then refund him; if not he will need to go through paypal.

Am I wrong or right here as a seller?
    Hell no, don't refund if you explicitly stated the damage and had pictures to show that in the listing.
    Overwound and noregrets like this.

This whole thing raises my blood pressure. Lots of issues here. Best of luck.
    "Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Quote Originally Posted by kepa View Post
    Hell no, don't refund if you explicitly stated the damage and had pictures to show that in the listing.
    Not only that - but I also attached the Rolex Estimate which outlines everything!
    Overwound likes this.
    Panerai PAM 000.
    Cartier Tank Solo XL

From your posts it sounds like you were VERY clear about the watch's condition, so I see no reason you should make any further concessions.

eBay is a minefield for selling, especially watches. I would look at other venues next time, IMHO.

Good luck.
    noregrets likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information