Questions About ETA 2836-2 Movement
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Questions About ETA 2836-2 Movement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions About ETA 2836-2 Movement

My Aquadive BS-100 diver uses a "top grade" ETA 2836-2 movement tuned in-house to COSC accuracy and isochronism standards. It is my understanding that the 2836-2 movement is essentially the same as the 2824-2 except for: 1) the additional complication for Day in addition to Date; and 2) the date changes instantly at midnight instead of gradually rolling over during the preceding hour. This watch, however, has only a Date window rather than Day/Date, so the additional complication is not used.

Why would Aquadive use the 2836-2 movement if they don't use the Day/Date complication? Besides the quick date change, are there any other benefits of this movement? Is it considered an upgrade over the 2824-2 in terms of quality or durability?
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"

Rolex Polar Explorer II
    Omega Seamaster Pro Ceramic
    Omega Speedmaster Pro Moon Watch
    Doxa 1200T Mk-II Caribbean
    Damasko DA36
    Seiko Sumo Blue
    Seiko Prospex Solar Chrono

Re: Questions About ETA 2836-2 Movement

Can't imagine why they would - the 2836-2 is bigger

This was posted in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    Several reason why you use a 2836-2 over a 2824-2:

1) Buy in bulk, save money. The more units you can purchase the cheaper to can get them per unit.

2) Common casees (see #1). The 2824 and the 2836 have different stem heights, so if you use 2824s you will have to get separate cases for these.

3) Common dials (see #1). the 2836, because of the taller stem height requires longer feet on the dial.

4) All other components of the 2824 and 2836 are interchangable, so for them it doesn't matter which you use.

Why the 2836-2 can be cheaper:

1) The 2836 and the 2834, aren't quite as popular as the 2824-2, so they are sold and a lower price.

2) Sometimes overruns of 2834-2, the least popular of the bunch are reworked into 2836-2, since all parts except the day dial and plastic spacer are the same.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

Yes, they just buy a whole container of it to negociate some serious discount.

The 2836-2 is more versatile than the 2824/2892 as the day feature can be optional.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

It is all about availability since Swatch Group is reducing selling ebauches to other companies.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    It is all about availability since Swatch Group is reducing selling ebauches to other companies.
    Thanks for the responses. The AD is a big thick watch so the size of the stem/case may have had something to do with it. Also, the quick date change is a nice feature. But it seems like a waste to have a Day complication and not use it. I suspect the main reason is as you say...volume pricing from ETA/Swatch.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"

Rolex Polar Explorer II
    Omega Seamaster Pro Ceramic
    Omega Speedmaster Pro Moon Watch
    Doxa 1200T Mk-II Caribbean
    Damasko DA36
    Seiko Sumo Blue
    Seiko Prospex Solar Chrono

I believe that the ETA 2836-2 is more readily available, and hence cheaper. The disadvantage is that it is slightly thicker.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

It is kind of odd if the day window is omitted, but the reasons above make sense.

I work until the early hours of the morning and often need the day & date for paperwork after midnight, so I'm a huge fan of my Damasko's instant change at midnight. My new Monster is agonizingly slow, about three hours before the day and date have rolled over, so I doubt it will see as much wrist time on work days as I thought it could...
    I got a standing desk, so now I need a pilot watch...

New York City: "The city that never sleeps". If it got some sleep, it wouldn't look so crappy!

I've spoke with Bill Yao of MK II watches in the past, and he said he likes using the 2836 without day in his date only military inspired watch designs precisely because of the instant date change. It seems more in keeping with a precision military instrument.
    The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

Both my Diastar 40 Chronometer and my Hyperchrome Golden Horse Chronometer from Rado use 2836-2 with the day left out. In their case I doubt it is a question of availablity, but could be the instant change.

aaP1010236 by hankblanc, on Flickr

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information