Questions about Sales Corner
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Questions about Sales Corner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions about Sales Corner

Sorry if the isn't the right place to post but I didn't know where else to put it. I have been lurking the Sales Corner for a while bu have always been very reluctant to purchase from a private seller. How, besides reading the scammers list, do you know if the watch is authentic? Is there a sub forum to post the questions or is that considered rude to post and ask?

Ozy

Re: Questions about Sales Corner

Hey mate, if you're reluctant, don't buy! The sales forum is nothing more than a place for members to swap, sell and buy each others watches. Everyone does their level best to keep scammers out but the occasional drama does come up.

Due diligence, risk mitigation and a lot of gut instinct goes into each and every sale and a jumpy buyer or shady seller are a couple of triggers which really tend to sour the proposition.

If you don't feel comfortable spotting fakes, talking with sellers or taking precautions to reduce your exposure in the event the unthinkable happens, then Brick and Mortar stores are for you.

I consider it poor form to put up a sellers picture up elsewhere and question it's legitimacy unless the seller has done nothing to abate your fears. In this case, you have failed to buy the seller and should move on anyway.

Rule #1. ALWAYS buy the seller, then, the watch. Check the deals section for seller feedback.
    Rule #1. REMEMBER RULE 1
    Rule #3. Use regular Paypal, not PayPal gift, Western Union or Bank Transfer. You'll have recourse should a legitimate issue arise.
    Rule #4. If a deal seems too good to be true, walk away.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I fully agree with Ozy and bluloo about buying the seller.
    Besides that, I think it is logical to buy certain kind of watches and avoid those that are more commonly faked.
    If you buy a Steinhart or a Magrette you are almost certain it will be the real thing.
    No one would be able to say the same about a Planet Ocean or a Submariner.
    Watches that sell for less than $ 1.000 will not be as risky as more expensive pieces. Maybe try sticking with those...

Thanks guys. Very sound advise.

The only things I buy privately online are watches and guns. Now, most people into these two things are REALLY into them, so I have a simple rule: if I call them and we talk more about money and less about the hobby, the deal is off. If I call them and we end up talking about the best straps or 9mm vs..45 for an hour, and then at the end someone says "so just send me some cash whenever you can, I'll throw it in the mail tomorrow", then that's a good deal. I don't want to, and I don't have to deal with people I don't get along with, and the people I get along with, I've noticed over the years, are honest. (I've only ever walked away from 3 deals, and in retrospect, alarm bells were going off from the get go.)

Commas rule!
    lferg and npulaski like this.

If the guy has references from others here for SELLING (my rule is at LEAST 5), then you should be alright. Doesn't mean you don't do research or anything like that, but it does put my mind at ease.

Btw, first time buyer, be prepared to jump through a few hoops to prove you're legit. A lot easier for a buyer to scam a seller. I've asked for scans of IDs and other things of that kind before. Maybe even a phone conversation as noted above. Thats always a good way to gauge legitimacy.

Good luck.

Sent via Tapatalk

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

To add to what the guys have said above...
    I will sometimes ask for proof of possession photos if something doesn't feel right.
    A while back, I sold a watch to a guy and I felt uneasy about it for some reason and couldn't shake the feeling. I told the guy I didn't feel comfortable (mainly because he asked for too many changes in delivery, payment method etc.. that I had listed specifically in my post). But he was very persistant and we ended up doing the deal and all worked out fine...
    Recently (two weeks ago) I had a response to a WTB ad I posted for a Damasko watch I've been looking for...the guy sent pictures with a whole story about why he was selling it. For some reason, a red flag went up in my head... I think because some of the email wording sounded like two different people talking and the pictures looked familiar as well. ( I had been doing alot of research on this particular watch and had been looking at tons of photos) ... He was too eager to have my mailing address before I even sent a reply if I was interested (classic red flag)...
    Anyhow, I found the original post from 2009 here on WUS for the real seller and the email this guy sent me was just copied and pasted word for word with the same photos. That is why some of the language didn't match up. He responded to about 5-6 emails of questions I sent him, until I asked him why he was copying someone elses post (busted) and that was the last I heard from him. A case of watch owner identity theft!

Anyhow...
    Ask the seller to take a photo of the watch with your screen name on a piece of paper next to it.
    Get references and actually check them.
    Search the users screen name and read through their posts.
    Stick to your plan that you are comfortable with (payment, shipping etc..)
    If you use PP as a payment, use your CC as the funding.
    Hopefully you get the chance to buy from reputable members here. If you're here long enough, you see the same names active for a long time and know who is who. But this forum is getting bigger by the minute....so it's not as easy as it used to be.
    And good luck.
    Cheers,
    Christopher

Current
    :
    Omega Speedmaster - LE Apollo Soyuz
    Omega PO

No more watches for a while for me !

Thanks again guys. Thats good to know too. If a seller was asking me for a scan of my ID etc, I would probably think he was tring identity theft or something. This is good info for when I do buy, I'll know the seller is CYA himself as well. Thanks again

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Quote Originally Posted by lferg View Post
    Thanks again guys. Thats good to know too. If a seller was asking me for a scan of my ID etc, I would probably think he was tring identity theft or something. This is good info for when I do buy, I'll know the seller is CYA himself as well. Thanks again
    Why would the scan of ID bother you? You show the ID to cashiers all the time, no? (IF you write checks that is).

I mean, of course, you won't send scan of your Social Security card but I don't see anything on my driver's license that can not be shown to other person. (You have to give them your name/address to get the package, now, they will have the driver's license # and happen to know what you look like.. Why not just blank out couple of numbers from your Driver's license?)

That said, I did ask couple of times to set the time to certain time and chronograph to certain timing as well to confirm that the seller has the watch. But, that only proves that he has the watch, doesn't mean he intend to send you the watch at all. Call the seller, talk over the terms and ask why he is selling, whether he had any issues with the watch, etc. I sometimes ask for $1 to be sent to my paypal account to make sure that they have confirmed address and also paypal verified. (which is refunded after).

Pay with paypal via funding from credit card. Confirm that the watch you receive is genuine quickly and raise issues quickly if any.

Good luck.
    Chronic flipper...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information