Questions on discounts for Nomos
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Questions on discounts for Nomos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions on discounts for Nomos

Hi Guys,

Today I had the pleasure of visiting an awesome AD in Hong Kong selling Nomos (in amongst all the high-end brands of luxury watches), in order to look for the Ludwig 35mm manual wind. I managed to check out a few pieces I love such as the Ludwig, Orion, the Ahoi sporty model, and Lambda Weissgold. Eventually, after much ogling and fondling, I pretty much set my eyes on the Ludwig 35mm piece. As some may recall from previous threads, I have been debating between a vintage Rolex Datejust and this very model of Nomos.

I asked what the best possible price was, and the staff person eventually conceded that he could give me a 15% discount, (so from about USD$2100 to $1800). I was mere millimeters away from pulling the trigger, then I decided I would hold out and ask a couple questions here before I committed.

Firstly, would you say that 15% is a reasonable discount on this kind of watch? Should I be pressing for a larger one? I am quite pleased already to have negotiated it down 15%, but I don't want to cause any ill-feeling at the AD by pressurising too much for a 20-25% discount!

Also... as has been widely reported around the place, Nomos has just released their new in-house escapement (whatever it is called)! Clearly, the watch I'd be buying would not have the new addition, and presumably the new models will arrive in the coming months (if not much longer). If you were in my position (where I have been dreaming of this watch for a very, very long time) would you buy this one? Or wait till the new escapement gets incorporated into it? This will be my 1st "big" purchase, so while I am eager to get it asap, I want to ensure that it is the best possible one.

Cheers
    Last edited by Noam the Newt; April 12th, 2014 at 12:01.
    VascularDoc likes this.

Re: Questions on discounts for Nomos

An advanced welcome to ze clan!

Dunno - can you get them grey? Don't feel bad about asking for a better price - it's just business.

I am not at all bothered about Nomos' new escapement and would certainly not pay a premium for it. Others may be but its up to you. Is it technically superior? Accuracy-wise mine is always exactly +2.5spd which I'm happy with; I could probably regulate it to 0. How can one improve that?

Thanks, I've been searching far and wide for other ways of buying one, and aside from online, the proper AD's seem like the only way to buy it in person. Maybe some other members from HK will chime in and give advice re. this question. And+2.5 seconds is fantastic accuracy in my book!! I'm inclined to agree about the new escapement, it just seems like a good technical advancement but no noticeable difference.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That 15% is pretty standard for HK.

Chances are, it's not even really a discount.
    Euro price for the solid back is €1280 and €1460 for the display back.
    There is supposed to be be no duty applied in HK so straight off the bat, you should be paying something like 16% less than the Euro price.

I got 30% when I bought my Orion around 2 months ago. PM me for details of the shop and sales person.

Hi, just PM you the details. Please update back if you happened to purchase the watch. Last time I was there, they have tangente, Orion datum white, Orion grey 38, tetra small, ahoy, Zurich, weilzeit, lambda, tangomat and tangomat get.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

PM sent, thank you very much for your replies.

I know that Nomos watches are actually at a smaller margin for dealers than most brands. At least in the US. There's a little less room for negotiation I think.

Banned

Agreed- I have the Nomos Tetra and paid full price up front..

At some point, you have to realize they're businesses trying to make money as well.. getting it below their cost would be stealing from them essentially..

Quote Originally Posted by VascularDoc View Post
    Agreed- I have the Nomos Tetra and paid full price up front..

At some point, you have to realize they're businesses trying to make money as well.. getting it below their cost would be stealing from them essentially..
    Of course, but the AD's in question are successful multi-million dollar businesses paying multiples of millions per year in rent alone, while I am a uni student who has saved for a long time to purchase this watch. I will try to squeeze as big a discount as humanly possible!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information