Today I had the pleasure of visiting an awesome AD in Hong Kong selling Nomos (in amongst all the high-end brands of luxury watches), in order to look for the Ludwig 35mm manual wind. I managed to check out a few pieces I love such as the Ludwig, Orion, the Ahoi sporty model, and Lambda Weissgold. Eventually, after much ogling and fondling, I pretty much set my eyes on the Ludwig 35mm piece. As some may recall from previous threads, I have been debating between a vintage Rolex Datejust and this very model of Nomos.
I asked what the best possible price was, and the staff person eventually conceded that he could give me a 15% discount, (so from about USD$2100 to $1800). I was mere millimeters away from pulling the trigger, then I decided I would hold out and ask a couple questions here before I committed.
Firstly, would you say that 15% is a reasonable discount on this kind of watch? Should I be pressing for a larger one? I am quite pleased already to have negotiated it down 15%, but I don't want to cause any ill-feeling at the AD by pressurising too much for a 20-25% discount!
Also... as has been widely reported around the place, Nomos has just released their new in-house escapement (whatever it is called)! Clearly, the watch I'd be buying would not have the new addition, and presumably the new models will arrive in the coming months (if not much longer). If you were in my position (where I have been dreaming of this watch for a very, very long time) would you buy this one? Or wait till the new escapement gets incorporated into it? This will be my 1st "big" purchase, so while I am eager to get it asap, I want to ensure that it is the best possible one.