Quick Poll: Leasing as a finance option as opposed to cash purchase?

View Poll Results: Will you consider leasing your next watch purchase to own a higher priced watch piece?

Voters
47. This poll is closed
  • Will definitely consider leasing to own a higher-priced watch piece.

2 4.26%
  • Will continue to save-up, and use cash purchase as primary method to fund watch purchases.

22 46.81%
  • Will definitely not consider leasing, despite possible benefits.

15 31.91%
  • Will charge the purchase on credit card/revolving credit, and stick with what I know.

8 17.02%
  • Don't know or uncertain.

0 0%

Thread: Quick Poll: Leasing as a finance option as opposed to cash purchase?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Poll: Leasing as a finance option as opposed to cash purchase?

Hello everyone,

I am a frequent lurker on this forum, and have been member since 2006 (previously went by username watch_fan). I just want to conduct a quick poll, and get a general opinion on leasing of high-end watch brands as a method of entry to enjoy a watch that is otherwise beyond reach by normal finance options.
    To help me get an accurate picture of your view on this subject, please read through all of the available responses before making your choice. Please vote only once, thank you.

**Moderators: If this post does not adhere to forum rules, please advise or remove.
    Thank you all in advance for your participation. :thanks

Best regards,
    Oris_fan

Last edited by Oris_fan; January 14th, 2008 at 20:24.

Re: Quick Poll: Leasing as a finance option as opposed to cash purchase?

I'm pretty much a 'save up and pay cash' kinda guy. I might use a credit card to snag an unexpected deal, but I'd be looking to pay off the balance ASAP. Deliberately doing a long-term finance deal like leasing is a no-go for me.

I'd also point out that I'm _very_ unlikely to spend more than a couple of grand on a wristwatch, and very likely no more than once in my life. People looking at the serious high-end stuff may feel differently if it's their only option.
    Keep List:

Seiko SKXA35 Auto Diver
    Stauer Day/Date/Month Auto
    Glycine Incursore 100M Auto
    O&W Ocean Master Vintage handwinder
    G-Shock GW3000BD-1ajfa
    G-Shock MTG910DA-1
    Citizen EcoZilla diver
    Hamilton Khaki Officer 44mm Unitas w/custom hands and lume
    Volmax Aviator 45mm handwinder
    Laco 42mm B-Type Flieger

Wish List:

Glycine Eugene Meylan
    Hamilton Jazzmaster PR
    Meistersinger Singlehand
    A +40mm Seiko Alpinist, if Seiko ever decides to make one...

My wrist size - 8"/20.3cm

stuffler,mike

Has never been an option.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello,

Thank you both for the early replies. I have been eyeing a particular JLC piece for sometime, but never could justify spending that much on a watch. This past weekend, while visiting a local watch retailer, and shooting the breeze with the sales staff, I was told that leasing may in the near future become an option to acquire the watch. The sales staff walked me through the program, and I told him that I will have think about it for some time.
    This leasing program is a new revelation to me, and certainly present a viable option. Just posting this here to see if anyone else have encountered this, and considered leasing for some higher-priced watches.

Thanks for your inputs.
    Kind regards,
    Oris_fan

P.S. Too bad I can't modify the poll questions after the fact. Wish I could add "My wife will kill me if I buy another watch..." as one of the responses.
    Last edited by Oris_fan; January 14th, 2008 at 21:43.

Is this "leasing" just like with a car? Pay lots upfront, pay monthly, and never own the watch? And maybe you can buy it at the end but it will still be costly? And if not, and you can sell it, you have to get what you owe or lose money? Is that the deal? Hmmmmmmmmmm slitting my wrists might be a better choice! lol

paul
    Doxa 600T Clive Cussler edition
    Breitling Superocean A17345
    Omega 2531.80
    RGM Sea3 Custom
    Ocean 7 LM3 #119

VINTAGE :

Zodiac Astrographic 2000
    Zodiac Sea Wolf(1964)
    LeCoultre Master Mariner (1970)
    Hamilton Thinmatic (1968)

Place of honor:

my '80's Seiko 5 which has been through the mill and still runs and tell adequate time.

Leasing is not buying and I've never been comfortable with doing it. I feel that if I can't pay cash for something then I can't afford it. What if your income takes a nosedive? you develop a black mold problem in the basement? your pitbull rips the face off the mailman? Also, you most likely have multiple watches so you're paying for something you might only wear 1 or 2 times a week?
    Don

Making debts for satisfying my hobby would not be a wise choice!!!! And a debt it would not let me enjoy any new purchase.
    I buy only what I can afford, no matter if 100 or 1000 Euro.Payment may be cash, credit card (not revolving, charged in one shot on my bank account the following month), Paypal or bank wire.
    This means that sometime I have to give up to buy or to postpone the purchase... better this than breaking the bank!!
    Ugo

"God does not play dices with the universe."
    (Albert Einstein)

I'd look for a money down, 18 month, no interest, it's paid for kind of deal.
    I've done that a few times.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Hello,

Thank you for the replies and feedback. Just some background information for you based on what I know. As it was pointed out to me on another forum, the lease is similar to a car-lease. However, the lease is designed to permit a low initial cash outlay, which allows owner of the watch to enjoy financing the watch in lease-to-own situation.
    I haven't encountered such a financing option in the past, and based on the value of the watches that I have purchased, I have much time before I will consider financing watch purchase via lease. I brought this topic to see if anyone else has thought about leasing, and what their individual experiences have been. It's an interesting topic, and one that might be of use to someone in the future if leasing does become commonplace for high-end products.

Kind regards,
    Rob

Will definitely not consider leasing, despite possible benefits ???

I would really like to know what the benefits are. Say a watch costs £4,000 - leasing, over 3 years, may add another £750 to it. What are the benefits? To pay £4,750 for the watch that could be found 2nd hand for £3000 or even less????

I think it is for the sort of "desperate guy" to go for leasing on a watch. I wouldn't do it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information