Quick set hour + day complication = ultimate travel piece?
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Quick set hour + day complication = ultimate travel piece?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick set hour + day complication = ultimate travel piece?

Does this movement exist? To clarify, the two requirements are:

1. Day of the week complication (aperture, pointer, subdial, anything).

2. "Quick set" hour hand without disturbing seconds al a GMT Master II.

This has the potential to be the ultimate simple travel piece for those of us that don't need the complexity of a GMT/worldtimer.

Only problem is I haven't been able to find this in the analog world, mechanical or quartz. There are several references (Omega AQ daydate) who's movements possess the independent hour adjustment, yet dispense the feature when gearing the day complication.

Please, help prove me wrong. Does my travel grail exist out there?
    Last edited by stejospot; June 17th, 2019 at 12:18.

I believe any Omega with the 8900 movement will do this but it's a date compilation.
    stejospot likes this.

Re: Quick set hour + day complication = ultimate travel piece?

Do you need the day of week complication, or is the date sufficient?

I have a Victorinox 241310 Alliance quartz chronograph with the ETA 251.272 movement, and it has a quickset on the main hour hand, and that allows the date to be moved forwards and backwards as well.

stejospot likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix84 View Post
    I believe any Omega with the 8900 movement will do this but it's a date compilation.
    Ah, I should've clarified. It's the DAY that's key.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    Do you need the day of week complication, or is the date sufficient?

I have a Victorinox 241310 Alliance quartz chronograph with the ETA 251.272 movement, and it has a quickset on the main hour hand, and that allows the date to be moved forwards and backwards as well.

Unfortunately just the date is not sufficient. The idea here is that when you're jetlagged from a 14hr flight and the whole first week is a complete haze, you can still roughly orient yourself day by day knowing where you are in the week. All that aside that is a gorgeous piece.

Quote Originally Posted by stejospot View Post
    Ah, I should've clarified. It's the DAY that's key.
    That might be challenging. Keep in mind that any day-date that isn't a perpetual calendar will require a method of quicksetting the date relative to the day, particularly at the start of a month where the preceding month is less than 31 days long. As such, most day-dates have dual quicksets for the day and date in the second crown position, and forgo the quickset on the main hour hand (which ideally needs to be adjustable in both the forward and backward directions).
    BarracksSi likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    That might be challenging. Keep in mind that any day-date that isn't a perpetual calendar will require a method of quicksetting the date relative to the day, particularly at the start of a month where the preceding month is less than 31 days long. As such, most day-dates have dual quicksets for the day and date in the second crown position, and forgo the quickset on the main hour hand (which ideally needs to be adjustable in both the forward and backward directions).
    Ah yes - your explanation here has been my EXACT suspicion as to why these two features are never seen on the same watch. It's almost like they'd need to gear an additional crown position which seems so unlikely/nonsensical. Still keeping my fingers crossed that some manufacturer took a normal daydate movement, like 2nd position day and date adjustment, and then simply added quickset hour adjustment somewhere else entirely (e.g. Oris' double pusher system).

Many quartz watches can perform in Casio (Oceanus, Edifice, Lineage and G-shock lines), Citizen or Seiko have such models too.
    All you do is you set time and date for you local and later you can choose destination and it will move hands to desired position at few clicks of the button. It will set day/date accordingly too.
    Usually it means perpetual calendar and some additional functions too.
    Name:  cc3060-10e_03.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  59.2 KB
    Name:  eqs500.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  94.9 KB
    It should be special!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1991 View Post
    Many quartz watches can perform in Casio (Oceanus, Edifice, Lineage and G-shock lines), Citizen or Seiko have such models too.
    All you do is you set time and date for you local and later you can choose destination and it will move hands to desired position at few clicks of the button. It will set day/date accordingly too.
    Usually it means perpetual calendar and some additional functions too.
    Name:  cc3060-10e_03.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  59.2 KB
    Name:  eqs500.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  94.9 KB
    Will look into these - thanks!

Rocket1991 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stejospot View Post
    Does this movement exist? To clarify, the two requirements are:

1. Day complication (aperture, pointer, subdial, anything)

2. "Quick set" hour hand without hacking seconds al a GMT Master II.

This has the potential to be the ultimate simple travel piece for those of us that don't need the complexity of a GMT/worldtimer.

Only problem is I haven't been able to find this in the analog world, mechanical or quartz. There are several references (Omega AQ daydate) who's movements possess the independent hour adjustment, yet dispense the feature when gearing the day complication.

Please, help prove me wrong. Does my travel grail exist out there?
    Price Range?

Ulysee Nardin has this covered. The perpetual Calendar GMT +/- will change the hour hand when hitting the + or -. Passing 12pm will change the Day and date. Works in forward and reverse, as well as every month including February and on leap years.

Name:  20190213_221551.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  201.8 KB

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information