A quick TSAR review: first impressions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Camguy

Thread: A quick TSAR review: first impressions

My TSAR arrived yesterday, a January 2011 contract version, and I couldn't be more pleased. The matte bezel insert was a nice surprise as it looks glossy in all the photos I've seen, but I think it's a great detail (Does anyone know what it's made of? Simply matte-finished 316L?).

It does wear smaller than one would think from the photos as well, which is odd given it's actual dimensions. It's slightly wider and taller than my Seamaster 300M GMT, but seems smaller. I think it's the relatively small dial, but all in all I think it's a perfect size. It's got some heft in the hand but wears light on my wrist.

And the lume! My only other tritium dial is a Tag Heuer 2000 Classic Chrono, and after thirteen years it's faded, but the TSAR is incredible. The second hand lines up nicely with the indices, but I've noticed it's so high off the dial there's a fair amount of parallax error off of the 12 or the 6. The bezel is solid ("The elapsed time ring shall be capable of withstanding, without damage, two forces, each of 44.5 ± 2 N (10 ±1/2 pounds," from MIL-PRF-46374G), with deep, positive clicks. Again, the matte finish gives it a look beyond its price-point.

I'd been debating quartz or auto, but topsec's sale price was too good to pass up, and now that I have it I'm glad I went quartz. It just seems more appropriate for a no bulsh#%t tool watch such as this. Truly bombproof. I have a couple other quartz and I do really like the accuracy. Hey, if it's good enough for NASA....

I put it on a Zulu right away, but it's back on the rubber strap at the moment and I like the look of it as well, plus I'm still enamored of the engraving on the caseback (does anyone have insight into what serial number 2/06094 signifies?)
    The shoulderless spring bars are solid. Fixed screw-in bars'd be nice, but the mil-spec for spring bars is "A static pull of 67 ± 2 N (15 ±1/2 pounds) on the watch strap from each end of the case shall cause no damage," (MIL-PRF-46374G) so I think that's probably good enough.

And, man,it looks great. I love the depth of the dial, to accomodate the tubes on the hands, I assume. I also went with the sterile dial, which adds to the no-nonsense look, IMHO. SS borders around the hour indices give nice depth and sparkle. The concentric 24-hour numerals are subtly done and don't distract.
    I am wondering about the word "Marathon," however, as
    MIL-PRF-46374G states "Manufacturer symbols or identification shall not appear on the dial."

The date had already changed when I looked at 2359, so it must click over quickly. I wish more companies would go to the extra trouble Sinn does to make the date horizontal, but that's a minor quibble. This is the first watch I've owned with the date at 4:30, and I think it makes for a less cluttered dial than at 3:00.

There doesn't seem to be any AR on the crystal, but at 2.8mm is some serious "glass."

The "dull non-specular/non-reflective finish" of the case (again, MIL-PRF-46374G) is outstanding, especially in the recesses of the bezel knurls. The crown is something else, too. I could manipulate it with mittens on.

This is going to be my "why would I wear anything else" watch for quite a while.

Attachment 1019288

Attachment 1019290
    jah likes this.

Wow, awesome addition... I've always been a fan of the idea of marathons, huge, chunky, invincible watches that look great too! It's all too rare a thing, and yours is no exception! Fantastic Marathon! Congratulations!

Re: A quick TSAR review: first impressions

Hi Camguy,

Nice to see you received the TSAR....it looks great.

Regarding the tritium, it is likely your Tag is tritium paint vs. tubes. The tubes, from what I've heard, last longer. Not sure about the bezel material, however, they are usually painted/coated aluminum when not ceramic or sapphire.

Wear it in good health!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I also have the TSAR. Love it. Get the bracelet if you can, it just elevates it to a whole new level.

Thanks for the review, I've been trying to make my mind up between this and the quartz precista... still don't know which one I'll get (probably both :D) but it's always good to hear from owners, thanks for taking the time to write it.

sent on Backwards Day using klatapaT

This is my quintessential grab-and-go watch. Bulletproof, and it looks stellar on a NATO. About to go for a mountain bike ride wearing mine!

jah

I really like that combo, the strap looks great with that watch!

What is the skull bracelet?
    Instagram= j_horton29

It looks great on your wrist! Congrats on your new TSAR!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Thread Information