Name:  Chopard MM Q1.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  112.9 KB

Name:  Longines Les 1.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  265.0 KB

Re: QUIZ TIME: Which one...

Chopard
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

New question: which one isn't hideous?

Answer: none of the above

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post
    New question: which one isn't hideous?

Answer: none of the above
    The Patek looks a lot like a Seiko from the 90s, as does the Longines. They're both therefore OK.

All are quartz. But honestly I'd happily wear that AP and PP, and would put Longines on leather - all look great.
    At one time, quartz was the "innovative" and modern movement...
    So I guess I'm missing the point of the quiz - yes top brands made quartz watches, because quartz was in and there was demand for precision.

Perhaps you may want to post the pics of quartz movements in those PP and AP. (here's a hint: they look a good deal sexier than most modern ETAs)

PS. half the forum drools over quartz Grand Seikos. I guess people never want to miss a chance to poke fun at big Swiss brands.
    Name:  quartz-pp.JPG
Views: 331
Size:  49.0 KB
    pic borrowed from interwebs of PP movement in that hobnail bezel Calatrava. Stunning watch
    Last edited by EnderW; May 17th, 2016 at 05:02.
    dbostedo, Cr15py and ffritz like this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Quote Originally Posted by EnderW View Post
    All are quartz. But honestly I'd happily wear that AP and PP, and would put Longines on leather - all look great.
    So I guess I'm missing the point of the quiz - yes top brands made quartz watches, because quartz was in and there was demand for precision.

Perhaps you may want to post the pics of quartz movements in those PP and AP. (here's a hint: they look a good deal sexier than most modern ETAs)

PS. half the forum drools over quartz Grand Seikos. I guess people never want to miss a chance to poke fun at big Swiss brands.

WINNER! All are quartz and I've owned them all. Here are the watches:

AP Royal Oak (never opened the caseback):

Name:  AP RO 2.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  41.5 KB

Patek Calatrava:

Name:  Patek Q 2.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  87.8 KB

Chopard Mille Miglia:

Name:  Chopard MM Q2.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  39.6 KB

Longines Les Grandes Classiques (never opened the caseback):

Name:  Longines Les 8.JPG
Views: 240
Size:  131.0 KB

I've also owned their mechanical counterparts, but derived much pleasure from the quartz versions as well, especially since they didn't need winding each day

Quote Originally Posted by Stoshman View Post
    WINNER! All are quartz and I've owned them all. Here are the watches:

AP Royal Oak (never opened the caseback):

Patek Calatrava:

Chopard Mille Miglia:

Longines Les Grandes Classiques (never opened the caseback):

I've also owned their mechanical counterparts, but derived much pleasure from the quartz versions as well, especially since they didn't need winding each day
    ok cool. Those are fine looking watches you have and they got solid quartz movements inside.
    For some reason I misread the intent of the original post as trying to make fun of these (or perhaps it was the subsequent replies...). I see now you are just sharing your collection.

Frankly - they are all pretty cool. Hobnail Calatrava is "the" dress watch for many. And AP Royal Oak is one of the quintessential sports watches regardless of the movement - its most recognizable characteristic being Gentas design and bracelet. Longines Le Classiques still sells that design some 40-50 years later - I guess it is Classique (pardon the pun) after all. And the Chopard sports an impressive movement and Mille Miglia has a very cool history behind it.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

I'm compelled to ask: what's the deal with those red arrows on the Chopard? Is that from an advertising graphic, or are they really printed on the dial?

Quote Originally Posted by EnderW View Post

Name:  quartz-pp.JPG
Views: 331
Size:  49.0 KB
    pic borrowed from interwebs of PP movement in that hobnail bezel Calatrava. Stunning watch
    That's because the Swiss watch industry poo poohed quartz once they were on the losing end of the Quartz innovation.
    The Naf likes this.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Banned

The decorations on the Patek look really silly. They have no shame at all it seems at Patek.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information