Rado buyers remorse: An eBay impulse buy story
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Rado buyers remorse: An eBay impulse buy story

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Rado buyers remorse: An eBay impulse buy story

Got excited by a Rado Voyager on eBay and made an impulse purchase. Started looking around for more info about Voyagers (I purchased based on look, size, brand, and comparative pricing) and could not really find many examples of this model, whichappears to have painted text and a display caseback. Any thoughts and info would be appreciated!

Rado Voyager See Through Black Face Swiss Watch | eBay

Name:  $_12.JPG
Views: 2324
Size:  47.3 KB

Re: Rado buyers remorse: An eBay impulse buy story

It's a well worn watch....See the rotor...But he has a good rep. with his few sales since 05.
    Price is not that much, will probably need service though.
    hanshananigan likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Thanks LBF. I thought the rotor coloration was camera and shadow, but since you mentioned it I see it as wear. I didn't realize a rotor touched anything at all. I have a lot to learn!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Voyagers and Companions seem to be the two models of Rado that are most frequently frankened. This is probably because of the myriad variations and the ready supply. Yours is not even close to the worst. The case could be from a Voyager. I do not recognise that specific one but it is consistent with Rado designs from the period. It does seem rather new for the condition of the movement though. The printed dial looks correct. That is the correct font for a Voyager. The anchor appears to be gold, which means it has been replaced with one from a gp model. The anchor should be the same colour as the hands. To the best of my knowledge all Voyagers come on bracelets, not straps. Last, but not least, Rado didn't put display backs on anything prio to the early 2000s. That is not original.

Sorry, hope this helps.

Thanks, Henry. Foolish me. I contacted the seller and requested to cancel the order. S/he had 12 bidders, so s/he should be able to off-load it easily. Otherwise, perhaps I'll enjoy the watch. Or perhaps the $100 (about $30 in shipping) will be a "stupid tax" I can learn from. I hate to be a PITA for the seller!

Voyagers and Companions seem to be the two models of Rado that are most frequently frankened. This is probably because of the myriad variations and the ready supply. Yours is not even close to the worst. The case could be from a Voyager. I do not recognise that specific one but it is consistent with Rado designs from the period. It does seem rather new for the condition of the movement though. The printed dial looks correct. That is the correct font for a Voyager. The anchor appears to be gold, which means it has been replaced with one from a gp model. The anchor should be the same colour as the hands. To the best of my knowledge all Voyagers come on bracelets, not straps. Last, but not least, Rado didn't put display backs on anything prio to the early 2000s. That is not original.
    Good call.

For every bad or questionable decision, there is good experience that is learned from it.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

As an avid Rado collector, I made a similar mistake (or two) myself. It's an expensive but effective way of learning...

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Thanks again for the feedback, all. The seller was kind enough to return my payment in full. No more impulse buys, here.

Of note, I did find several other examples of this style listed as Voyager or Companion, with the display case back and similar face. They were on ebay.co.uk and other eBay sites and had better pictures, which strongly suggested a poorly repainted dial.

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I fear I may have fell into the same trap, I like the look of the watch, if it's a genuine then awesome! But it does look as if the display back isn't original, and it may have had the dial done.

I came here to get some information on the watch, age, price etc, but I feel I may have learned that I should have learned more before going bid crazy :)

Any info gratefully received.

SEE THRU RADO VOYAGER 17 JEWELS DARK BLACK FACE SWISS DATE WATCH | eBay

No idea here, but I was the OP sucker. I think the legit Voyagers I have seen have had the Rado logo at 9 o'clock and it was applied, not painted (I can't tell if yours is applied). The same seller allowed me to cancel my order, so if you are uncertain, it may be an option. You could also just ask whether all parts are original, etc.

Some might just say that for that price,if you like the look,then just enjoy it. I don't know...it rubs me the wrong way when a watch is being sold as a particular model but is not characteristic of that model, you know?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information