Is this Rado Diastar real?
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Is this Rado Diastar real?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is this Rado Diastar real?

Hi, just wanted to know whether it is real..My uncle found it n gave it to me... It is not working. Planning to send it for a good service..

Re: Is this Rado Diastar real?

When you take it in for service, the repair person should be able to verify if it's authentic. Looks like it is from the 1970s.
    rhesma83 likes this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Would like to hear what the cost estimate is. Restoration will not be cheap.
    rhesma83 likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks like someone went to a craft store, bought some gold glitter paint, and then went to town on the case. Good luck with the servicing on that one.
    rhesma83 likes this.

What's wrong with the case? Why does it look that way? Is the case back really gold coloured is is that your photographs? The case should look unblemished, or broken, but not bumpy/glittery. Did someone paint it and is the paint chipping off? The caseback should be stainless steel and also not glittery. The anchor has fallen off the disc on the dial, the disc seems to be sitting atop the dial rather than fitting flush and the date window seems to have rounded or beveled corners. That is not right.

It is in such dreadful shape that it is hard to say if it is authentic or not, but aspects off it do not seem right.

I suspect you might be able to find a nice one off of ebay for the cost of restoring that, assuming that one is mostly real.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; July 9th, 2014 at 17:18.
    rfortson and rhesma83 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Angle View Post
    Looks like someone went to a craft store, bought some gold glitter paint, and then went to town on the case. Good luck with the servicing on that one.

At antique malls I have seen a few massive 1970's watches with a crinkled gold finish similar to that. On the ones I have seen high points are usually worn off and plating is flaking at the edges. So I would say there is a good chance it's real. If the original poster actually likes the style and would wear the watch then a repair shop should be able to service the movement and reattach the anchor and the case could be re-plated if needed. Not much resale value as there are not many buyers for that style.

Better pictures with a good camera in even lighting may reveal a watch in good cosmetic condition.
    Last edited by John MS; July 9th, 2014 at 17:33.
    rhesma83 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    At antique malls I have seen a few massive 1970's watches with a crinkled gold finish similar to that. The high points are usually worn off. So I would say there is a good chance it's real. If the original poster actually likes the style and would wear the watch then a repair shop should be able to service the movement and reattach the anchor and the case could be re-plated if needed. Not much resale value as there are not many buyers for that style.

Better pictures with a good camera in even lighting may reveal a watch in good cosmetic condition.
    Rado never did that. If it is a real women's Diastar that "finish" is aftermarket.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; July 9th, 2014 at 17:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Rado never did that. If it is a real women's Diastar that "finish" is aftermarket.
    I don't know enough about Rado to be able definitively say that a watch with that finish was never sold by them in their many international markets. I do know that in the 1970's other companies produced watches with dimpled cases that were then plated and that the style was once popular. The poor picture of the back seems to show a dimpled case that was plated. So I doubt that some craft store gold antiquing finish was applied after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    When you take it in for service, the repair person should be able to verify if it's authentic. Looks like it is from the 1970s.

The 636 ref means it has an ETA 2836-2 in it. The stamped snap on caseback and the Rado in the case side mean that it is no older than 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    I don't know enough about Rado to be able definitively say that a watch with that finish was never sold by them in their many international markets. I do know that in the 1970's other companies produced watches with dimpled cases that were then plated and that the style was once popular. The poor picture of the back seems to show a dimpled case that was plated. So I doubt that some craft store gold antiquing finish was applied after the fact.
    I don't mean to sound snotty or rude but I do know enough about Rado. They never did a finish like that. Why would one make a Tungsten Carbide case and then put a cheap scratchable glitter finish on it. Self-defeating and it didn't happen. They never made a dimpled or glitter gold plate caseback. It's aftermarket.

Also, it is clearly post 1982, not 1970s.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; July 9th, 2014 at 18:55.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information