Rambo's watch
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Rambo's watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rambo's watch

I was watching Rambo (the latest one) and I managed to catch this. Not wise for a SpecOps guy to have those large glowing numbers I think. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Rambo's watch

Panerai, in case you weren't aware. Less luminous than tritium, of course. No worse than anything else, really.

If I remember correctly, Stallone popularized Panerai after he bought a number of them and started wearing them on screen. I don't think they were common in the states prior to his use.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think it looks like something Rambo could wear from a size perspective. What irks me about most Panerai is how can you claim to be a military or even a pseudo-military watchmaker when it is impossible to tell the exact time on most of your offerings because they do not have minute hashes or subdials?
    9573 likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by 9573 View Post
    If I remember correctly, Stallone popularized Panerai after he bought a number of them and started wearing them on screen. I don't think they were common in the states prior to his use.
    I don't think they were common any place until Sly bought a bunch for his friends. They even made a limited edition Sly Panerai.

guess the Italian navy were ok without the minute markers back then?
    Name:  3646angelus.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  87.9 KB

its a Rolex in the Panerai case.
    Name:  3646Back.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  70.7 KB
    Synequano and Bert Reynolds like this.
    I like my money right where I can see it: strapped to my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    I don't think they were common any place until Sly bought a bunch for his friends. They even made a limited edition Sly Panerai.
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking. It was probably sometime in the mid 90s.The name of his model was a little goofy, I think. Slytech, maybe?

EDIT: Yep... "Slytech".

Does it qualify as Rambo's watch? :)

Quote Originally Posted by 9573 View Post
    Yes you are correct Panerai was "resurrected" in the early 90s by the Swiss (0% Italian content) and Stallone "discovered" them in 1995 or '96 while travelling to Italy.

QUOTE=rics21;6468023]guess the Italian navy were ok without the minute markers back then?
    Name:  3646angelus.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  87.9 KB

its a Rolex in the Panerai case.
    Name:  3646Back.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  70.7 KB[/QUOTE]

Not a Rolex, it's a Cortebert movement branded Rolex, the case is a Rolex steel pocket watch with soldered wire lugs. Later after the war they started to use the famous Angelus 8 days movement in the Luminor era.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    I think it looks like something Rambo could wear from a size perspective. What irks me about most Panerai is how can you claim to be a military or even a pseudo-military watchmaker when it is impossible to tell the exact time on most of your offerings because they do not have minute hashes or subdials?
    Indeed at the time they were (in very limited number) and at least during WWII they didn't even have the second hand. At that time the Italian Royal Navy just wanted a waterproof watch so Panerai converted Rolex cases, here you can find some original ones:

http://www.vintagepanerai.com/2017/06/29/found-another-ref-3646-type-d-kampfschwimmer/

These were the only divers available at the time as far as I know, they were indeed primitive watches, but not to different from for instance German B uhren.
    Last edited by cuthbert; September 13th, 2017 at 12:11.
    Synequano likes this.

I feel like watch placement in movies/tv is lost on me, which is odd since I tend to notice in person. With the exception of the James Bond movies, I almost never notice what watch any one is wearing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information