Rant
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Rant

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Banned

Rant

The recent thread "Deceived by Hamilton Thin-O-Matic" highlights one of my biggest hates about todays watch production, where I feel we buyers have been slowly duped into spending Thousands and Thousands of hard earned Dollars for increasingly cheaply made products.

Akit110 is showing us that a watch retailing for well under 1K USD can be superbly made and finished, with a good quality movement, plus a fantastic "3D" look dial. This means a quality paint, applied markers and the little print there is, this also of a superb quality.
    Nicely shaped hands, faultlessly polished.

The dial on the Hamilton is of a quality we usually see only on watches costing several times what he paid,if we are lucky !
    More and more manufacturers today are cutting down on the cost of the manufacturing of the dials by fitting dials that are printed only. Many of the brands doing this are in the upper mid and even High End sphere.
    Jaeger leCoultre is one of them.

We are so called WIS, enthusiasts, or experts, yet we accept and buy these products with cheaply made parts without a second thought.
    I have over the last few years read many write ups made by a happy owner, what an incredible quality the printed dial has, sharp print, etc etc.

I think we are being cheated. We accept all the price increases thrown at us, we accept watches where we are not sure where the parts are being manufactured, we accept dials that cost pennies to make, all this in a watch costing as much as a car.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Janne; December 25th, 2012 at 17:12.

Re: Rant

I know what I like, and I'm only willing to pay good money for things I really like. If watch brands want to cut corners on their high-end offerings, that's fine -- I just won't buy them.

I dropped by my local Toubillon store last week and saw some expensive watches that were jaw-dropping stunning. I'm not too worried that there won't always be good stuff to buy.
    Janne and huntershooter like this.

I think there is a lot more to a watch than the dial...

Personally I look for dials that suit the watch - it matters not to me if the dial has applied markers or not - what matters is that I like the overall design. In many cases I prefer printed dials to applied markers. For example I am not fan of modern Rolex dials - shiny finish, white gold surrounds, lots of writing on the dial...I much prefer vintage matte dials, with just lume on them. It's a personal thing, and I for one would be happy if Rolex went back to matte printed dials, but I understand I am likely in the minority. So, I vote with my wallet and don't buy new models.

I'm assuming the Jaeger LeCoultre models you are referring to are the reissues of their vintage watches - for me printed dials are absolutely appropriate given the style of watch they are recreating.

Saying you are being cheated because watches are being sold at high prices with printed dials seems to be an extreme view to me personally.

The Hamilton is a nice watch for the money certainly, but it's no JLC.

Cheers, Al
    Gary123 and RogerP like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hamilton stopped being good when they became swiss. American FTW.

i take each watch on a case by case basis. the looks, movement, quality, and brand are what i would consider. each manufacturer makes watches i hate.
    Fordham-NY and samanator like this.

I agree with you Janne. "Maximizing profits", i.e. cheaper production costs/lesser quality has become a way of life, not just watch specific.
    As said, I simply won't buy products that take that to an extreme.
    I am a fan of "vintage"; that saying, "they don't make them like they used to" is unfortunately accurate in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by johnperregaux View Post
    Hamilton stopped being good when they became swiss. American FTW.
    Um, yeah. Well the, thrust of this entire thread is that Hamilton *is* a good watch company. If Hamilton is even the same company (let alone not-good) under Swiss ownership is a different issue.
    ancreanchor and RBrylawski like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I think there is a lot more to a watch than the dial...

Personally I look for dials that suit the watch - it matters not to me if the dial has applied markers or not - what matters is that I like the overall design. In many cases I prefer printed dials to applied markers. For example I am not fan of modern Rolex dials - shiny finish, white gold surrounds, lots of writing on the dial...I much prefer vintage matte dials, with just lume on them. It's a personal thing, and I for one would be happy if Rolex went back to matte printed dials, but I understand I am likely in the minority. So, I vote with my wallet and don't buy new models.

I'm assuming the Jaeger LeCoultre models you are referring to are the reissues of their vintage watches - for me printed dials are absolutely appropriate given the style of watch they are recreating.

Saying you are being cheated because watches are being sold at high prices with printed dials seems to be an extreme view to me personally.

The Hamilton is a nice watch for the money certainly, but it's no JLC.

Cheers, Al
    I understand you mean the Reverso 1931?
    Then I need to inform you that those watches were designed as a beater / sports watch at a low ( for JLC) price point.

Rolex of old too were cheapish sports watches. Do not confuse the price level and image of a brand today with the same of the past.

Longines, Omega and Doxa were considered far higher and did cost far more than today ( well, Doxa of today is a bit if a joke) where Longines is a low mid level brand and Omega upper mid
    Omega are working hard on becoming what they were in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    I understand you mean the Reverso 1931?
    Then I need to inform you that those watches were designed as a beater / sports watch at a low ( for JLC) price point.

Rolex of old too were cheapish sports watches. Do not confuse the price level and image of a brand today with the same of the past.

Longines, Omega and Doxa were considered far higher and did cost far more than today ( well, Doxa of today is a bit if a joke) where Longines is a low mid level brand and Omega upper mid
    Omega are working hard on becoming what they were in the past.
    Sorry, I don't understand this response. I know the history of the Reverso. JLC is also making the Deep Sea watches that are recreations of earlier models. Again, in these cases printed dials are completely appropriate to the watch in my view.

I am not confusing any price level with any brand, and where they are in the market. As a watchmaker I see these watches for what they are I can assure you, since I have them apart and see their strengths and weaknesses daily.

If you believe that a printed dial automatically means a cheap watch, then that's certainly your choice. I don't believe that to be the case personally. You asked for opinions, so I gave mine.

Again, the Hamilton is nice, but it's clearly no JLC.

Cheers, Al
    ohmegah and RogerP like this.

I think if you are happy with the quality and the overall package printed dial or not it really doesn't matter as long as you enjoy the ownership , I,m not sure telling everyone who has spent their hard earned cash saved up for their pride and joy will enjoy hearing they have inferior watches and have been ripped off by the manufacturers......

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information