Rant about watch sizes

Thread: Rant about watch sizes

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rant about watch sizes

Sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse here but I have to vent.

Why is it that watch manufacturers, by and large, only offer their watches in one size? I'm sure we've all seen watches we like but have ruled them out for being too big or too small, resulting in less watches for us and less money for the manufacturer. If they were to offer each watch style in a range of sizes e.g. a 38mm, 40mm, 42mm and a 45mm, they would cover most predilictions and sell a truckload more units, offsetting the extra design and stock costs. Obviously the additional sizes may not work with certain styles e.g. chronographs or may not be possible with particular movements but in general the one-size-fits-all policy seems completely daft to me.

Good to get that off my chest
    German: Junghans Meister Chronoscope | Nomos Tangente | Stowa Exima ETA & PUW 560
    Others: Accurist World Time Chronograph | Mondaine solar powered | Omega Seamaster 'Calypso' | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII

Re: Rant about watch sizes

There are a few companies that offer their watches in many sizes (Omega, Longines, etc)

What I dont understand is why the huge markup in price from the smaller to the larger. There isnt that much added material to make the larger size...why does it cost hundreds of dollars more for the same watch 3mm larger

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteMustard View Post
    There are a few companies that offer their watches in many sizes (Omega, Longines, etc)

What I dont understand is why the huge markup in price from the smaller to the larger. There isnt that much added material to make the larger size...why does it cost hundreds of dollars more for the same watch 3mm larger
    My guess is that the larger watch is the more fashionable watch at this point in time and therefore more desirable. Companies can charge more for the larger size, and they do.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

v76

I'm glad that I prefer small watches, I can get them for a lot less . I'd even wear something less than 33 or 34 mm if I really liked the watch.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Cost

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Cost
    Peanut
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

I don't think all companies do that. As an example, with Omega, they charge you 4500 bucks (CDN $) for a PO, whether it's the 42mm or the 45.5mm. Same with the AT, they charge $5600(CDN) whether it's the midsize or the larger size.

It sure would be nice if watches were offered in different sizes, but I really can't see that happening for a number of reasons. The costs associated would be tremendous. There's also the issue that you simply can't resize everything by a certain percentage to get the new size. Sure, a two or three handed watch (without date) could be easily scaled up or down with little difficulty, but once you start adding date windows or sub dials the look subtly changes as the size changes. To do it right, it becomes an entirely new watch, not simply an exercise in Photoshop.

nowhere, yet...everywhere. I am omnipresent!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Peanut
    Banana (am I doing it right? :P)

-=-=-=-=-
    And to the OP, you suggest that makers would sell "a lot more units". I certainly doubt that. It would be far too costly for a manufacturer to offer every model in different sizes. Some would never be bought! And then they would have end lines and all the capital going into those varying, not often bought sizes, is going to be wasted.

I suppose I do share your gripe in one instance however. I wish more makers would stop (or at least slow down their rate of) whoring themselves out so wholeheartedly to the vagaries of the "fashion situation", but that's how these things work, isn't it?
    (*coughcough-dinnerplate-coughcough)

I suppose it doesn't matter in the end, these anachronisms will soon go the way of the pocket watch (in my lifetime at least), and probably not long after WW3

~not really that silent...bit of a boring, meandering, waffling, blathering blabber-mouth actually~ :D

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

My gripe is everyone seems to want to make the models I'm interested in bigger.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information