A rant. Have you ever......?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A rant. Have you ever......?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A rant. Have you ever......?

Have you ever run into a watchmaker who absolutely refuses to work on Russian watches? I took 2 different Vostoks to him and he said thay were unrepairable. Then he asked where I get so many Russian watches and why? He is an elderley fellow and he still thinks of Russia as an enemy and a threat to the US. I was appalled. I took them to a watchmaker who happens to be from Columbia. He said no problem and he has already repaired and cleaned them. They were vintages from the 50's, but real nice watches. How could someone be so prejudiced and then question me as to why I would even want them? I am a Russian watch collector (as well as many other brands). Don't try to guess who he is. I still need the guy for some other more "domestic" watches and I don't want him to know I ranted on him.
    cottontop
    jason_recliner likes this.
    "What's time to a hog?" Junior Samples

Banned

Re: A rant. Have you ever......?

Everyone has their faults and prejudices. He's from a different era, and that was the way they thought back then. You can't change his mind and bring him into the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
    Have you ever run into a watchmaker who absolutely refuses to work on Russian watches? cottontop
    Yes, I have. In the early eighties I owned a Soviet made watch that I had purchased used. I brought it to a local watchmaker to be cleaned and regulated. He asked me kindly to take it out of his shop and never return with it again. Later on, through a mutual friend, I learned that most of his family had been imprisoned and killed in the old Soviet Union.

I’ve learned to never judge a man until you’ve “walked a mile in his shoes.”
    N
    Caveat lector

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Man oh man I want to break forum rules here and start talking geopolitical issues! Self-control, self-control, self-control.
    Sorry you've run into these issues, cottontop. Hopefully you can find a watchmaker that shares your interest in Russian watches.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

NWP627,

In some ways I think I can see what your watchmaker came from; no matter what they say, old wounds don't really heal, especially if cut that close. Still, it was not the rotten politicians who built the watches, but the Mr, Mrs and Miss Average, who're just like us. Peel away the politics, we are all really similar, after all.

Cottontop,

I have also met some watchmakers who made up numerous excuses not to work on Russian watches, like they're designed to be totally different from anything else, or they could not repair them. Thankfully the man I use - an ex-Piaget man at that - has no problem with them at all.

The issue, I believe, is this: if two watches can be fixed in, say, half an hour, with the same labour input, a watchmaker can charge more for the costlier watch as the owner would be happy to pay. But for the less-costly watch he could not charge as much. So I heard a story: someone walked into a watchmaker's shop asking him to fix a Russian watch and he said he could not do it. After he put the Russian watch into his pocket the prospective customer pulled out a Rolex from another pocket: "if you can't fix that, you can't fix this then", and walked off!

It may seem strange,but take a guess at a certain group of people that have not got over something that has happened a long time ago in this country,and it is excepted..I hope you figure it out,since this is the furthest i will comment on it..Everyone is a bit prejudice.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    NWP627,

In some ways I think I can see what your watchmaker came from; no matter what they say, old wounds don't really heal, especially if cut that close. Still, it was not the rotten politicians who built the watches, but the Mr, Mrs and Miss Average, who're just like us. Peel away the politics, we are all really similar, after all.
    I understand the difference, he didn't. Perhaps the "object" brought back memories he didn't want.
    N
    Caveat lector

You should be happy he didn't laugh at you.

I think these sorts of opinions are common. I found a good watchmaker near me, excellent with vintage Swiss watches, but swears everything from China is junk. I showed him the Sea-Gull with ST16 movement I was wearing, he glanced at it and said, "it won't last." Yet he had never worked on one before, just an opinion. Then I mentioned Claro Semag CL-888 is exactly the same movement stamped "Swiss." He said, "it's still junk if it's Chinese." That's OK, he's still good with the watches he likes.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

I wonder if there are a lot of watchmakers with this opinion regarding Japanese watches.
    My Collection:
    Casio G-Shock GW-M5600-1CR
    Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay 5J21-0A10
    Seiko SKX031
    Seiko blue Atlas SKZ209
    Seiko Spirit GMT SBQJ015
    Seiko SKX781 Orange Monster
    Seiko SCVF001 titanium diver
    Seiko SBDX001 Marinemaster 300M
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM027
    Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic
    Rolex Explorer I 114270