Rant on pics in sale theads
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Rant on pics in sale theads

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I understand that not all WIS's have expensive photography equipment.
    I understand that cell phones don't always take high res pictures.
    I understand that lighting conditions affect exposure and colour.

What I don't understand are the following:

1) Poster states, "bezel has minor marks" and then takes close-ups of the back of the watch, buckle, strap, crown, but the pic of the watch face looks like the poster stood on a chair and laid the watch on the carpet. Come on, if you feel the need to mention a flaw, for heaven's sake include a picture of it.

2) Poster states watch is in "mint", "LNIB", "excellent condition", and then posts scanning electron microscope pics of the watch showing the steel's grain structure, along with enough damage to the case/bezel etc to make you think the watch was dragged for miles behind a car.

3) Poster mentions some flaws, then provides clear, sharp, in-focus pics of every part of the watch except the area with flaws, which is unaccountably blurred

4) Poster has seven pics of the box, papers, COSC certificate, original packing foam, but only one pic of the watch, usually in box with papers strewn wide, so that the dime-sized watch can be explained by trying to show the accessories in the pic.

5) Poster has detailed list of 8 items included in sale, but pics of only 7 items.

6) Poster has dealer pic of watch, not matching watch description lol

7) Poster has great lighting on all pics of watch except the side of the watch with a ding/scratch/desk diver marks, which was taken at midnight inside a closet

Ok, rant over, let's hear your pet peeves of Sales post pictures.
    H3RRINGTON likes this.

Re: Rant on pics in sale theads

You do realize these complaints would apply just as easily to ebay or Craigslist. I think most people simply don't know how important visual presentation is to a sale.

Those kinds of things are typically (but not always) red flags to me.
    They can indicate either purposely deceptive listings, or a lack of attention to detail. In either case, what you might expect to receive, vs what's being offered, may be two different things.

While it can be annoying when the seller is offering a specific piece that you are after, these kinds of listings can be a crapshoot, IME.

Unless it's a relatively inexpensive piece, it's often best to just move on. Again, IME.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd suggest just moving on and not let this bother you so much. If it's truly a watch you are interested in, ask for pictures of what you want to see. Not everyone here understands that a good picture along with an accurate description will help sell the watch. A watch is not particularly easy to photograph and the occasional seller may not know how to take good pictures. This is a large forum and a lot of sale postings and unless you are suggesting that the forum start policing what you feel are inappropriate postings then don't expect things to change.
    GETS likes this.

I think the OP has a good point. I'm not sure how some people expect to sell a watch with the pictures they use. It seems like most people believe their watch is mint condition even if the pictures tell a different story.

Saying "this is the best I could do," when it's clearly not. Is the background in focus but the watch isn't? You can correct that (either by selecting a focal point on your camera, or just moving the camera away from the watch!) Is it blurry? Turn on a light; hold the camera steady; take your picture outside! Is it microscopic sized? Check your camera settings!

I'm much more willing to forgive someone who admits they don't know their camera (even if it's a cell phone camera) than just say "this is as good as it's gonna get. so there."

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

How about no pictures in the add at all!
    "Mแs sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo"
    116710LN, 116610LN,
    114060 Given to my son.

Either they're scammers, they're trying to hide defects or they're honest but terrible salespeople. Either way walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by AFG08 View Post
    If it's truly a watch you are interested in, ask for pictures of what you want to see. Not everyone here understands that a good picture along with an accurate description will help sell the watch. A watch is not particularly easy to photograph and the occasional seller may not know how to take good pictures.
    What he said
    Current Collection
    Patek Philippe – World Time Chronograph – 5930G-001
    Patek Philippe – Annual Calendar 5135G
    Patek Philippe – Aquanaut – 5167a-001
    Patek Philippe – Calatrava – 5196P
    A Lange & Sohne – Datograph
    Breguet – La Tradition - 7037BB/11/9V6
    Breguet – Type XXI Transatlantique Flyback
    Audemars Piguet – Royal Oak -15300
    Jaeger LeCoultre – Grande Reverso Ultra Thin Duoface
    Breitling – Navitimer 46
    Breitling – Transocean Chronograph B01 Ltd Edition
    Rolex – Submariner No Date - 114060
    Zenith – El Primero – 30.0240.410
    Panerai – Luminor PAM 241
    IWC – Portuguese Chronograph
    Omega – Speedmaster (Sapphire Sandwich)
    Omega – Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 43
    Omega – Seamaster Planet Ocean
    Longines – Column Wheel Single Push-Piece Chronograph 180th Anniversary Ltd Edition
    Longines – Master Retrograde Seconds
    Tudor – Heritage Black Bay 79220R Leather
    Meistersinger – Salthora Jumping Hours - SH908
    Tag Heuer – Monaco Calibre 11
    Tag Heuer – Aquaracer Two Tone Quartz

Such sellers aren't doing themselves any favors (whatever the reason for the shortcomings in a sales post) and since there's always another watch around the corner, I'd rather wait till I come across a situation I'm more comfortable with.
    Last edited by ljb187; March 21st, 2013 at 21:46.
    Mike.45 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information