Rant: Why up charge the Paypal Fee?

Thread: Rant: Why up charge the Paypal Fee?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rant: Why up charge the Paypal Fee?

I am still astounded when I search through the Sales Forums that a majority of people prefer or insist on Paypal for payment but insist that the buyer pay the sellers 3% Paypal fee. Do people not realize that Paypal allows anyone to basically accept a credit card payment and they receive guaranteed payment without having to go through the hassle of setting up a merchant account? BTW, if you did have a Merchant Account and were caught charging the fee to the end customer you would have your Merchant account pulled.

I have found it a huge insult that they would then insist I pay another 3% to buy their product. Guess it is just me though as I don't ever see anyone else complain. It just rubs me the wrong way. It is like having your cake and eating it to. Quite a few on here have missed a sale to me though. If I see that in a sales post, I click on by.

Rant Off:

Smurfe

Re: Rant: Why up charge the Paypal Fee?

I agree with you
    I always pass if sellers request extra for Paypal

I personally think it's kind of silly. Just add the amount into your price to begin with if a few dollars mean that much to you. For $1k we're only talking $30 or $40 and that's not really a whole lot in the broader scheme of things.
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

When I buy something with paypal it's just a direct transfer from my bank account. A lot of people want to use paypal so they can pay with their credit card. That costs the seller nearly 4%, which on a large purchase starts to become real money. I agree it's a pain, but I wouldn't call it an insult. Most people try to get you down on price anyway and there are way too many low-ballers out there. I try to price my watches fairly anyway so if someone is offering less than my asking price AND wanting to use paypal with a credit card, I'm loosing out, and that's an insult. That's why I don't accept paypal. I prefer wire transfers, or in the UK a buyer can even directly deposit cash into a sellers account through a local branch, or just do it on-line.

Us private sellers aren't set up for business where "the cost of doing business" is just part of the expense to write off.
    Last edited by BruceS; March 18th, 2007 at 01:47.
    Wear what you like.

I like to see a seller that advertises a "total" price, not a price plus paypal fees plus shipping. I think it is just easier. I do it this way when selling.

IMO paypal is a SELLERS benefit, which happens to benefit the buyer too. I dont mind paying with a MO but theres normally a reason a seller asks for PP, so they can get paid ASAP. Is getting paid 1-2 weeks worth 3%.... IMO yes.

3% isnt worth bickering about.... especially if its for a watch.
    - Nick

Cars or Watches... that is the question!

Asking for the fee in addition is ridiculous.
    Price it in if 3/4% is that precious to you.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Quote Originally Posted by Avengeance View Post
    IMO paypal is a SELLERS benefit, which happens to benefit the buyer too. I dont mind paying with a MO but theres normally a reason a seller asks for PP, so they can get paid ASAP. Is getting paid 1-2 weeks worth 3%.... IMO yes.

3% isnt worth bickering about.... especially if its for a watch.
    If it's not worth bickering about then why do buyers insist on shipping being included in the price? I've paid as much as $70 in the US to ship registered overnight for a watch in a heavy presentation box, with $30-$50 being more the norm. From a seller's standpoint, if i want to receive money quickly I'm NOT going to ask for paypal. That cash may be in my paypal account, but it takes several days to reach my bank account after requesting a withdrawal. In the mean time the buyer could file a complaint with paypal, after I've shipped the watch. Scams happen and as a seller I do everything I can to reduce my risk. I want cash in my bank account before the watch leaves my hands. I've sent watches before the transaction was complete, but only to guys I knew from the forums, and knew them to be totally trustworthy. They've done the same for me.

The problem I see is that the attitude of most buyers just cause sellers to price watches too high to begin with, then the dance of price reduction starts. It's a two way street in the private selling WIS world. WIS collector wants watch and WIS seller wants to unload it, probably to pay for another one. It used to be that fellow collectors understood that, wanted to be fair and didn't want each other to loose out.

Like I said before, I try to price a watch fairly to begin with. Those in the know will know what a particular watch is worth. If you start adding on for shipping and fees, then say no fees and free shipping in your ad, the price no longer reflects the value of the watch and you've misrepresented your pricing.

By the logic you guys are using a seller should just come out and say he's inflated the price by 4% to cover paypal and added the cost of shipping. With that, then add another line that says don't even try to get me down on price, which of course is essentially what on-line retail sellers do.

Like I said before, I don't take paypal. I deal in cash. This topic has been discussed to death on TZ. The prevailing consensus for sellers is take postal money orders or wire transfers. That's all I would take in the US. If buyers don't like it, they go somewhere else and miss out on a fairly priced watch.
    Last edited by BruceS; March 18th, 2007 at 13:23.
    Wear what you like.

I HATE going to the post office to get a money order or to my bank for a cashier's check, and therefore I strongly prefer using PayPal. I also tend to like the sales price to be for the watch, with shipping and transaction fees to be added (or negotiated). Let's face, there are three fees for every watch (watch, shipping, and the fee for paypal or a money order), so you might as well break them out so you know what's what.

I can understand sellers who don't want to deal with PayPal and the possibility of scams, but as a buyer, I'm also taking a risk by sending a money order to a complete stranger and I get annoyed when a seller wants me to jump through whatever hoops makes them comfortable but makes my life a headache. I've passed up some good deals in those situations...

Quote Originally Posted by TimeAndAgain View Post
    I HATE going to the post office to get a money order or to my bank for a cashier's check, and therefore I strongly prefer using PayPal. I also tend to like the sales price to be for the watch, with shipping and transaction fees to be added (or negotiated). Let's face, there are three fees for every watch (watch, shipping, and the fee for paypal or a money order), so you might as well break them out so you know what's what.

I can understand sellers who don't want to deal with PayPal and the possibility of scams, but as a buyer, I'm also taking a risk by sending a money order to a complete stranger and I get annoyed when a seller wants me to jump through whatever hoops makes them comfortable but makes my life a headache. I've passed up some good deals in those situations...
    I understand your feelings as I am a buyer too, but again, you're putting it all on the seller. Private sellers aren't retailers in business. Why should the buyer be the only one who's in control of the transaction? The buyer is sending his hard earned money, but the seller is sending an expensive watch he bought with the same. In all honesty, I hate dealing with buyers I don't know. It's been probably 50/50 for me with sales in terms of me knowing who I'm dealing with. As many watches as I"ve bought and sold, it still scares me to some extent, unless I know the seller/buyer.

Sell enough watches and you'll see just about everything. I get emails from people that I don't even bother answering. That's how ridiculous they are. You learn to recognize someone who's sincere and serious, even if you don't know who they are. There are so many little clues to red flags. If too many of the red flags pop up, I just move on. Be patient when both buying and selling. The old adage about buying the seller, not the watch is very very true. I've had buyers say to me in emails that my reputation as a seller proceeds me, and I didn't even know who these people were. The WIS world is a small one. Do one bad deal and you may be branded for life, but treat people fairly and the word will spread. It works the other way as a buyer too.
    Last edited by BruceS; March 19th, 2007 at 01:35.
    Wear what you like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information