Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rate this 18 year old's watch collection, and what should he buy next

None of these pictures are mine

Watches that I saved up for and bought for myself via allowance + jobs

Seiko SKX007, mostly worn on a NATO, my daily wearer

Name:  4101012360_8a0e08b004.jpg
Views: 14419
Size:  144.9 KB

My pseudo dress watch, a Seiko 5... There aren't a lot of occasions where I need to truly dress up though...

My secondary watch

Name:  bluemako1.JPG
Views: 2583
Size:  26.3 KB
    My tertiary watch? I like it but it's the watch that's a little hard for me to wear out and about. No problem wearing it to Giants games though.

Name:  seiko_orange_monster_15.jpg
Views: 2509
Size:  35.9 KB

As you can see, a LOT of help from watchuseek.

Now on to some of the other watches I happen to own (or will own)

A Rolex Datejust that my dad gave to me recently. I'm keeping this one safe. He gave me a SS one but I couldn't find a picture of it so this will do.

Name:  datejust1a.jpg
Views: 2782
Size:  108.5 KB

And on the way very soon, is the Omega Speedmaster Professional. This was supposed to hold off until College Graduation but my mom agreed to buy it now because it's only going to get more expensive in 4 years.

Name:  157.jpg
Views: 2499
Size:  52.2 KB

I don't think I will ever wear my Rolex or the Omega that I will be getting shortly unless it's a special occasion or at least until I graduate from college. I have plenty of watches to rotate between anyway.

The two watches I think I'm missing are completely opposite of each other. A real sport beater watch and real dress watch, leather band and all. I had a Timex Ironman that I gave to my girlfriend but we broke up so I never got it back. I think the Datejust is just fine as a dress watch and there are very few occasions where I am required to 'suit up' anyway, but I would still like a leather strap dress watch when I need to dress up but a Rolex might be overkill for an 18 year old college student.

Sorry for my picture intensive, and almost pointless post. This thread serves as a bit of a check up thread, a show off thread, and also a suggestions needed thread. I hope you're all having a nice day!

Re: Rate this 18 year old's watch collection, and what should he buy next

hmmm... your collection looks somewhat metallic and bulky. how about something thin and elegant on a leather band? I'm thinking a Stowa/Aristo on a white dial. These will be useful on interviews, which you'll be having a lot of during and after college. A field watch is also not in your collection, and those are nice to wear everyday as they are made to get beat up... thinking a Hamilton Khaki will be useful and light on the wrist.
    TickTocker305 likes this.
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

The first thing you need to buy is a camera!

Nice collection you've got the going, I'm not sure if I even knew how to tell time when I was eighteen. I'd just go out and get another Ironman for the beater (though I've heard Casio makes something called a G-Shock that might be worth checking out). As for a reasonably priced dress watch (under $300 USD) I'll throw out two:

Seagull M198S:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m198s.jpg 
Views:	2507 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	500176

Tissot Le Locle:

Name:  fullsize1.jpg
Views: 6903
Size:  23.9 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

You need a German Made watch.
    Check out the German Forum here on WUS.

Great collection for an 18-year-old. At that age I didn't have two cents in my pocket or anything on my wrist.

Great suggestion above about the Hamilton Khaki, which seems like it would work well with what you have. If you are really looking for a great looking dress watch that won't bust your budget, and you don't mind going vintage, think about an Omega Seamaster with a leather strap from the '60s. You can find them here and on the 'Bay for $4-500 for a nice one, and they look great with anything from business casual to a suit.
    Ω 3570.50, Ω SM300, Ω 3221.30, Ω 2538.20.00, Ω 186.010, Ω 176.012,
    Ω 198.005, Ω 135.011

Great collection, but as already mentioned, there's way too many bracelets.

All the recommended watches are great, so i'm actually just dropping by to say i think you should wear your rolex and omega with pride. Watches are meant to be worn! No point owning such a nice watch (or two) if it's gonna spend most of the time in the box. Especially since they're bracelets.

To answer your question, you should get a nice sports watch on rubber (for sports, obviously) and for everything else, wear your omega. Your rolex is slightly dressier, so you can save that for dressier occasions.

I think your collection is missing a Russian watch. You could pick up a Vostok Amphibian or Komandirskie automatic for a few bucks. The Amphibian will run about $75 shipped, the Komandirskie about $60. If you want to spend a little more, there is the Vostok K-34 series. These can go from around $160 to close to $400.
    Name:  Amphib.jpg
Views: 2293
Size:  349.8 KBName:  Komandirskie.jpg
Views: 2340
Size:  358.3 KBName:  K-34-2.jpg
Views: 2231
Size:  180.1 KB
    First is an Amphibian, second Komandirskie, third K-34

I am super jealous of you getting the speedmaster as a graduation gift. Just finished my undergrad and didn't get anything near so fancy. Oh well, I guess I can hope they will get me one after my PhD.

Wow! Awesome stuff!

I don't suppose your parents would be interested in adopting a 48 year-old?

I think it's crazy that I'm getting a Speedy Pro for my high school graduation too! I mean I was a good student at very competitive school and I did have some special circumstances I had to live through in high school, but a Speedy Pro!?

A G-Shock or an Ironman is definitely on the list. I think I'll just hassle the ex-girlfriend a little and get the watch back because I feel like I've spent way too much money on watches and I need to allocate some of that cash to textbooks and alcohol.

The field watch is a great suggestion too... I've had my eyes on a Hamilton Khaki (I like the Khaki King) for a while and it is relatively affordable.

And yea I've had my eyes on a Stowa Antea and I think it would make a perfect dress watch because it's kind of understated but soooo beautiful. I like it a little more than the Le Locle.

Looks like that might set me back another $1000...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information