Raymond Weil Maestro(2827-STC-00659) or Citizen Grand Classic(NB0040-58A)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joesmithf1

Thread: Raymond Weil Maestro(2827-STC-00659) or Citizen Grand Classic(NB0040-58A)

Raymond Weil Maestro(2827-STC-00659) or Citizen Grand Classic(NB0040-58A)

Hello Everyone,

I am a bit new to the luxury watch world, so need your advise. I saw these two watches and they are beautiful. They are also for exactly the same price, so i can't decide which to go with. I have read great reviews on the Citizen Grand Classic from Watchuseek. But i can't seem to find which movement the Raymond Weil is using; i went onto their website and all it says was, "Swiss Movement" without the specific.

I guess my questions would be:
    1. which one has a better built?
    2. which has the best bang for the buck?
    3. which one would you vote for?
    4. other advise?Attachment 978070Attachment 978072

thank you.
    Joe
    CitizenM likes this.

Re: Raymond Weil Maestro(2827-STC-00659) or Citizen Grand Classic(NB0040-58A)

The RW is most likely using the SW 200.

I think they both look great. I think there's a lot of personal preference here...do you want an open heart, or do you want a date complication? I actually like open hearts, but I need the date frequently, so for my personal preference, I already lean towards the Citizen.

I have played with the Citizen Automatic in person and it was very impressive. It is a sports watch though compared to the substantially dressier RW. I like the bracelet on the Citizen. The crown is not screw down, not that I think it matters. The RW's probably doesn't either. Also, while the Citizen uses a curved sapphire, it's not curved on both sides, at least to my eyes...no idea about the RW on that one.

I was very impressed when I played with the Citizen in real life and it'd be the one I'd take, but I suspect these are pretty comparable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If it were me, I would be going with the Raymond Weil. If I were looking at Japanese watches for more than $200, I would be looking at a Seiko SARB.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Probably not much in it re build/bang for buck. I think the Citizen would be a better all-rounder, design wise.

Come on, the Grand Complication deserves more credit!
    I've seen it in person and I was quite taken aback by the quality of it at it's price.
    Flipped to the back and the movement impressed me even further.

Also, the blue on the RW's hands totally looks painted whereas the blue hands of the Citizen blends in with the metal perfectly. That's a huge plus for me.

Long story short, Citizen hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    If it were me, I would be going with the Raymond Weil. If I were looking at Japanese watches for more than $200, I would be looking at a Seiko SARB.
    ROLEX Datejust 36mm Blueberry;
    ROLEX Pepsi GMT-Master 16700 (Circa 1987);
    ZENITH El Primero 36'000 VPH Tri-Color;
    SEIKO Prospex Solar Tuna SBDN026 (1981/3000)

Considerations:
    AUDEMARS PIGUET Royal Oak 15450
    A.LANGE & SOHNE Saxonia Thin 37mm

Instagram: Horodiziac

In my opinion, the Citizen GC is a clear step up from the Seiko SARB (it'd better be for almost twice the price). The SARB is the dressier watch though. I think the grand classic is even sportier in real life than the photos show...it's surprisingly large (not huge, just larger than I thought it'd be) and it has pretty substantial crown guards.

Thanks everyone. I am leaning toward the citizen b/c of the design and it looks very well built, but I also love the RW because of the brand recognition and it is Swiss made. I have two seiko already, bit thanks for the suggestion.

Thread Information