Raymond Weil Nabucco and that second hand

Thread: Raymond Weil Nabucco and that second hand

Raymond Weil Nabucco and that second hand

Hello all,

Been lurking on the forums a while, but finally decided to register. I just bought a Raymond Weil Nabucco and had a question about the sweeping motion of the second hand. It's my first automatic so my expectations may be high, but it appears that the second hand "micro-stutters" as it sweeps. It's not noticeable unless I focus on it fairly close to my eyes, but would like to know if there could be something wrong while I can still return it.

The watch is keeping good time. Gained under 5 seconds in 24h.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Re: Raymond Weil Nabucco and that second hand

that's normal for all mechanical and automatic watches. there is never a true continuous sweep, but quick micro jumps (several per second) that give an impression of a sweeping motion unless you really pay close attention

Cool. What I could find searching seemed to suggest it, but I figured someone here would be able to tell me definitively.

I appreciate the quick response.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To put it as simple as possible: According to the frequency of the movement (usually expressed in vibrations per hour, vph), the seconds hand will stutter more (less vph) or less (more vph).

My Seiko works at 21200 vph and the stutter is visible: SEIKO SARB065 - Movement and Sound - YouTube

On the other hand, Zenith´s El Primero works at 36000 vph: Zenith El Primero - YouTube

For a pure linear sweep, right now I think only Bulova´s Precisionist and Seiko´s Spring Drive are the answer. But they´re not 100% mechanical movements.

There are also tuning fork movements and maybe even others I don´t know of that provide a linear sweep.
    Omega Speedmaster Pro Panda
    Omega Planet Ocean 45.5
    Omega Seamaster DeVille ca. 1965
    Seiko SNXS79
    Hamilton Khaki Action Quartz

Quote Originally Posted by Hutter View Post
    To put it as simple as possible: According to the frequency of the movement (usually expressed in vibrations per hour, vph), the seconds hand will stutter more (less vph) or less (more vph).

My Seiko works at 21200 vph and the stutter is visible: SEIKO SARB065 - Movement and Sound - YouTube

On the other hand, Zenith´s El Primero works at 36000 vph: Zenith El Primero - YouTube

For a pure linear sweep, right now I think only Bulova´s Precisionist and Seiko´s Spring Drive are the answer. But they´re not 100% mechanical movements.

There are also tuning fork movements and maybe even others I don´t know of that provide a linear sweep.
    Excellent explanation. The videos are great. I did a quick search and found that the newest line of the Nabucco's run at 28,800 VPH. That would be about where I would guess mine is running after comparing it to the two videos you provided.

Thanks a bunch.

Congratulations on your RW Nabucco. Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Ovalteenie View Post
    Congratulations on your RW Nabucco. Very nice!
    Thank you! I love it. Big change from the certain "signature dot" company I have thrown away a lot of money on.

I'm really excited to grow my collection.

Thread Information