Raymond Weil Tradition or Frederique Constant Slimline?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Raymond Weil Tradition or Frederique Constant Slimline?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Raymond Weil Tradition or Frederique Constant Slimline?

Hi all,

I am a massive newbie to the world of Swiss watches, but I have been eyeing off a couple of watches and cannot decide which is a better buy.

The first is a Frederique Constant FC245 and the second is a Raymond Weil Tradition Date. They are the same price ($650 USD), and similar style (quartz, black leather band, white round face).

Could anyone shed some light on how I should pick between the two?? I'd appreciate any advice particularly on how the brands match up now, and what you think will happen to the brands in the future (and why)... Perhaps you think there is something better than these two watches in this price range? Really I just want a quality watch that is classic looking and will hold value.

Cheers guys! Heres a link to the two watches:
    Tradition Men Watches by RAYMOND WEIL Genève Luxury Men Watches
    Frédérique Constant | Watch - FC-245M4S6B

Re: Raymond Weil Tradition or Frederique Constant Slimline?

Welcome!

This or this right?

Name:  tradition-gents-media.jpg
Views: 4792
Size:  47.8 KBName:  d6c6fed2e82ee7a42f37868f8edb2b3e.png
Views: 5406
Size:  490.5 KB

The most important factor is which you think looks best (I prefer the RW).

FC have some lovely in-house movements at great prices which I'm sure will only go up over time, but you're not looking at those so I don't suppose it matters so much. Some people think RW is a 'mall brand' because you see them everywhere in shops. But I think it's more important to judge a piece on its own.
    Last edited by geoffbot; December 28th, 2012 at 13:46. Reason: further thoughts
    ZachB and Metlin like this.

If you are interested in Frederique Constant, the answer for now should always be THIS:
    FC-710MC4H6

Name:  742539d1340262872-frederique-constant-classics-manufacture-frederique-constant-classics-manufact.jpg
Views: 5756
Size:  348.7 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have the FC small seconds quartz on a leather strap and I like it very much. FC does a very nice job with its dials. I wouldn't worry about value with these models. Not much to lose anyway. Quartz watches aren't big with collectors.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

You can get the mechanical FC for a similar price. Check out Jomashop. I like the FC mechanical version, this is the way to go over RW, just don't settle for quartz.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Thanks geoffbot... yes, those are the exact watches (except both with a black leather band)... i am leaning towards the FC watch at the moment!

Thanks for the advice guys... I have a lot to learn! From what I've read over the last few days (watch snob and other forums) it seems like Frederique Constant is a bit unknown but is showing promise... I like the style of the FC245 watches as I am a pretty skinny guy and bigger watches look a bit strange on me!

However, the two watches I have mentioned are both quartz movement, and it seems like automatic is much preferred by the watch enthusiast population! Would I be better off looking at something like a Tissot Le Locle, or even non swiss (Stowa, Seiko)???

I am really only in the below $700 market at this stage which may not be much for a watch collector but is a lot of money for someone like me!

Quote Originally Posted by beginnerSwiss View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys... I have a lot to learn! From what I've read over the last few days (watch snob and other forums) it seems like Frederique Constant is a bit unknown but is showing promise... I like the style of the FC245 watches as I am a pretty skinny guy and bigger watches look a bit strange on me!

However, the two watches I have mentioned are both quartz movement, and it seems like automatic is much preferred by the watch enthusiast population! Would I be better off looking at something like a Tissot Le Locle, or even non swiss (Stowa, Seiko)???

I am really only in the below $700 market at this stage which may not be much for a watch collector but is a lot of money for someone like me!
    My choice would be a Seiko SARB, well within your budget.
    Collection:
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    JLC Deep Sea Chrono
    Breguet Marine Grande Date
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

For >700 you can get a great mechanical watch. Stick around for a bit and read some more threads. I started off with quartz watches, but once I made the jump to automatic I will never go back. They have a soal to them, and you bond with them much more.

Thanks mate, just to clarify, when you say >700 is that "more than $700"? As in are you saying I can get a mechanical watch for less than $700, or do you mean I should expand my budget? Cheers, beginnerSwiss..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information