Re-casing a watch
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Re-casing a watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Re-casing a watch

So I had a near miss with my Nomos and a brick wall this morning and wondered if the case been damaged beyond repair (unlikely, I know) but the movement, crystal, dials hands etc were all good, what cost would be involved in re-casing it all. Has anyone done this?

Re: Re-casing a watch

I would imagine that it's not too difficult to do - watch cases in countless sizes and styles are available on eBay and Ofrei. I think it would just be a matter of finding one that will fit the movement.
    Current Collection:
    Rotary, Adina, Emporio Armani, Loyal, Swatch, Ingersoll, Cyma and others...

The Wanted List:
    Citizen NB0030-01A

Realistically Achievable Grails:
    Breguet 5817 Marine Big Date
    Grand Seiko STGR003

Holy Grails:
    Breguet 5617 Perpetual Calendar Chronograph

Quote Originally Posted by TimeWizard View Post
    I would imagine that it's not too difficult to do - watch cases in countless sizes and styles are available on eBay and Ofrei. I think it would just be a matter of finding one that will fit the movement.
    I believe it would be best to stick with another Nomos case as opposed to just say any old case that will fit, but then again what the hell do I know. Maybe this could be a good opportunity to try and make your own case. :)

Sent from my arc 7 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    So I had a near miss with my Nomos and a brick wall this morning and wondered if the case been damaged beyond repair (unlikely, I know) but the movement, crystal, dials hands etc were all good, what cost would be involved in re-casing it all. Has anyone done this?
    Call Nomos and ask them how much a new case would cost. Add $30 to $50 dollars for shipping for me to do it.....
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

With a watch that nice I would get Nomos to repair if it happened. Painful but the best way to be sure.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Service price list | Beautiful watches purchased online. Directly from NOMOS Glashutte.

Refurbishing the case through Nomos costs between €40-60. Very reasonable I think, however I don't know if they mean just touching up a light ding or scratch, or completing a whole 'refurbishment' as it reads. Take care, would hate to see a bashed up Nomos.

With a watch that nice I would get Nomos to repair if it happened.
    Agree. They will get it back to new.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Ouch.... I popped a spring bar on a Hamilton once and it dropped onto my driveway putting a nasty (irreparable) gouge in one of the lugs (not a mark anywhere else). I sent it away to Hamilton for re-casing. For what it's worth, the cost to do that was $300, but that included the labour cost for doing the work in addition to the cost of case. I have no idea what the cost of the case by itself would have been, or even if it would have been possible to purchase (you know how 'finicky' most watch companies are when it comes to selling parts other than simple accessories).
    Last edited by BrentYYC; May 15th, 2014 at 18:06.

Refurbishing the case through Nomos costs between €40-60. Very reasonable I think, however I don't know if they mean just touching up a light ding or scratch, or completing a whole 'refurbishment' as it reads.
    I definitely wouldn't assume that "refurbishing" and "replacing" are the same thing.

That said, Nomos has built a reputation for reasonable access to replacement parts, so I'd expect them to have a solution that doesn't gouge the consumer. I'd be far more worried if the same thing happened to a Rolex or Omega (for example), there the company would see providing the part/repair as an opportunity for absurd profit.

Drinking so early in the morning is not a good idea...

I have a contact at Nomos and can get a quote for a new case if you want. Which model?
    "Two Things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information