(Re)Mounted my WWII Waltham B-17D Bomber clock (WIP)

Thread: (Re)Mounted my WWII Waltham B-17D Bomber clock (WIP)

Down where people say "How's it goin'" and wait for an answer.

Thumbs Up (Re)Mounted my WWII Waltham B-17D Bomber clock (WIP)

I came across this big chunk of "Australian Jarrah" AKA Swan Mahogany the other day with some crap $2 quartz movement in it, so I bought it for $10 and drilled it out to fit my Waltham.

I love it so much more than the other block of pine. It's so much more substantial. I've still got some surface finishing to do, it had a few circular scratches in the corner, and there was a brass label glued on the bottom, which you can still remnants of in the shiny darker spot under the clock. And the screws I had (the black knurled hex screws) were too short, so I have some silver ones which are too small in right now. I'll post more pics when she's done.

I'm still torn on wether or not to add the propeller to the new mounting, or just leave it unadorned. Thoughts?

Anyway, on to the pics:
    BEFORE:

AFTER:

| HKED Bund| Casio Riseman |1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Helm Vanuatu v2 | 60's Benrus Auto |
    I got out of watches for a long time, but I'm coming back!

Banned

Re: (Re)Mounted my WWII Waltham B-17D Bomber clock (WIP)

It does look quite nice. But I would personally prefer an "L" shaped arrangement, with the verical slightly angled to the back.
    Cut square, with nicely bevelled edges, highly polished and high gloss varnished.
    What do you think?

I like it a lot!

Personally I would involve the propellor in SOME way....I just can't see how...but I like the idea of it being used [thats helpful, right? haha]
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I love it! But please leave the propeller out. It would make it look too much like a souvenir. You have a very nice 8 day aeronautics clock there!
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Down where people say "How's it goin'" and wait for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    I love it! But please leave the propeller out. It would make it look too much like a souvenir. You have a very nice 8 day aeronautics clock there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig M View Post
    I like it a lot!

Personally I would involve the propellor in SOME way....I just can't see how...but I like the idea of it being used [thats helpful, right? haha]
    So I've got one each way, perhaps I should start a Poll. Right now I'm leaning toward not using it, but maybe getting a little plate engraved, saying something like "B-17D Bomber Clock: 1943" and maybe the name of the pilot who flew the plane it came from (I have his Hammy 4992 24 hour Pocket Watch also). I also may re-re-mount it and try to display the two together. It's all still up in the air.

I'd also like to say that the block of wood is not rectangular, and the clock is indeed mounted parallel to the only flat surface (the bottom) of the block. The pictures make it look a little wompy.
    | HKED Bund| Casio Riseman |1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Helm Vanuatu v2 | 60's Benrus Auto |
    I got out of watches for a long time, but I'm coming back!

An engraved plate with the relevant information would look very good I think.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    It does look quite nice. But I would personally prefer an "L" shaped arrangement, with the verical slightly angled to the back.
    Cut square, with nicely bevelled edges, highly polished and high gloss varnished.
    What do you think?
    I think that would be great and add the propeller as a reference to it's aviation origin.

Thread Information