Re: New Article on Presidential Watches...What did you do?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Re: New Article on Presidential Watches...What did you do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Many of you may have seen and contributed to this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/new-...s-1484722.html . Interesting as that thread surely is, I want to know this:
    1. Did you go to this page -- Your Complete Guide To The Watches Of United States Presidents — HODINKEE - Wristwatch News, Reviews, & Original Stories -- or was the National Review article enough?
    2. Did you go here -- Clare Watch Company -- to see what they offer? If you did, what were your thoughts of Clare watches?
    3. Did you check out this site: Vulcain Watches - Home ?
    4. Were you surprised to find that so many Presidents have worn Vulcan watches and yet they aren't particularly common watches?

My answers:
    1. Duh...
    2. Duh...again, you get one guess...I think Clare make nice watches and I like that one can get a nice, smart looking gold watch for a sane price. I'd wear one; it'd be nice to have one; I'm not making a beeline to get one. I have added it to my list of watches to maybe get one day.
    3. Ditto
    4. No. I knew a bit about Vulcain before hand.

All the best.

[Watch] collecting is an obsession, an occupation, a disease, an addiction, a fascination, an absurdity, a fate. It is not a hobby. Those who do it must do it. Those who do not do it, think of it as a cousin of stamp collecting, a sister of the trophy cabinet, bastard of a sound bank account and a weak mind.
    ― Jeanette Winterson (adapted)
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Wonderful article. Thank you for posting.

I'd read the Guide to Presidential watches some time ago.
    Read a bit about Vulcain over the years.
    Never heard of Clare B/4, but now I have read the complete site. Saw no prices listed, don't think I would buy one.
    tony20009 likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    I'd read the Guide to Presidential watches some time ago.
    Read guite a bit about Vulcain over the years.
    Never heard of Clare B/4, but now I have read the complete site. Saw no prices listed, don't think I would buy one.
    $8500...you had to click the "order one" option to find it.

All the best.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of Time View Post
    Wonderful article. Thank you for posting.
    YW, and I'm glad you found it interesting. Really the gratitude should go to Chefmhf who is the OP of the thread that inspired this one.

All the best.
    Cheers,
    Tony

― A.A. Milne

I'd like to comment on his(Clare Watch) detailed explanation of his solid cast gold cases compared to outdated hollow cast cases dating back 40+ years,(last new
    cheap, gold watches)that I saw using that method, which also soldered on lugs, etc....Chinese might use it, but I don't think the Swiss do, not seen
    or read of it.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    I'd like to comment on his(Clare Watch) detailed explanation of his solid cast gold cases compared to outdated hollow cast cases dating back 40+ years,(last new cheap, gold watches)that I saw using that method, which also soldered on lugs, etc....Chinese might use it, but I don't think the Swiss do, not seen or read of it.
    I'm sorry. Would you clarify your comment please? I don't understand it.

All the best.
    Cheers,
    Tony

― A.A. Milne

To add to the discussion - this nice article explains how the Vulcain cricket has been presented to every US president - with exception of W: Tempus Fugit: A President's Day Reminder - What Hodinkee Left Out
    tony20009 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alx007 View Post
    To add to the discussion - this nice article explains how the Vulcain cricket has been presented to every US president - with exception of W: Tempus Fugit: A President's Day Reminder - What Hodinkee Left Out
    Great article, Alx007, thanks for sharing.. however I don't get why Vulcain's website has this as the reasoning behind why president's wear their watches: The Vulcain watch manufacturer was founded in 1858 and is the inventor of the alarm complication for wristwatches. This innovation made the Vulcain watches popular with American presidents starting with Harry S. Truman, earning the brand its reputation as “The Watch for Presidents”.
    tony20009 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
    I'm sorry. Would you clarify your comment please? I don't understand it.

All the best.
    In his spiel, he states about the ultra high quality of his cases over others who use soldered cases.
    Soldered cases are/were used only on cheap gold cases, many even had hollow lugs, soldered unto a very thin
    (paper thin)gold case.I know of no quality watch doing that in modern times. Allot of nothing about something that
    I don't think even exists.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information