RE: Omega Speedmaster
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: RE: Omega Speedmaster

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

RE: Omega Speedmaster

** Dons flak jacket**
    I understand that by asking this question, I'll probably be branded a heretic, a lunatic or worse...So here goes. Sitting aside the whole first watch on the moon and the historical connection to NASA, what makes the Speedmaster so special? Now having been interested in watches since I got my first manual wind Timex in the Second grade, I understand what makes a particular watch appealing is total subjective; and individualized.
    But, I've read numerous posts where people write about the Speedmaster in almost reverant tones, extolling its virtues while spreading the gospel of the Speedie; and frankly, I don't get it? Perhaps some of the cult members...oops...Speedie enthusists can weigh in and educate me?

Waiting with baited breath.

Ed

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Re: Omega Speedmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_X View Post
    ** Dons flak jacket**
    I understand that by asking this question, I'll probably be branded a heretic, a lunatic or worse...So here goes. Sitting aside the whole first watch on the moon and the historical connection to NASA, what makes the Speedmaster so special? Now having been interested in watches since I got my first manual wind Timex in the Second grade, I understand what makes a particular watch appealing is total subjective; and individualized.
    But, I've read numerous posts where people write about the Speedmaster in almost reverant tones, extolling its virtues while spreading the gospel of the Speedie; and frankly, I don't get it? Perhaps some of the cult members...oops...Speedie enthusists can weigh in and educate me?

Ed
    Nah. Just carry on with what you like. This whole coy "educate me" thing in thinly veiled hate threads gets tired. But you'll get 20 pages of arguing in all likelihood, so enjoy that.
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

I used to own one, and think it's a handsome watch. The fact that it passed the NASA tests is impressive, so it was a sturdy watch for the time, although it still isn't a G Shock. It kind of represents the state of the art circa 1965. I feel that Omega trades heavily on the mystique and inflates their price accordingly. Taken simply as a mechanical chronograph, there are other watches which are just as rugged, just as precise, just as durable, which have not been to the Moon, but easily could if required to do so.
    Wibbs and Uhrentraeger like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Setting aside the history, there's nothing to make it special any more than any other watch. You either like the design and want it or you don't. The same can be said for any other watch. If you don't really understand the fuss, that's fine. Move on. Your wallet is thankful for this kind of reaction to a watch.
    *El Ocho 1* likes this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_X View Post
    ** Dons flak jacket**

Ed

I was in the same boat for a loooooong time. I didn't get it... at all. and I definitely won't say I'm a speedie fanboy as I don't own one and have no major plans to in the future. I started out liking only flashy watches that offer something truly eye catching and different and anything plain or subdued wen't right over my head for a long time. Then one day I woke up and finally started seeing Nomos watches and the speedy pro as something more. It's hard to put a finger on exactly what triggered that, I think it was a level of maturity in the watch game on my part where I can now really appreciate a classic design and the attention to detail over the ability to grab attention from across the room. The speedy pro can definitely go under the radar if you don't know classy watches, but for me the pull of the stark black and white contrast is very attractive on a simplistic level. I definitely connect with it more on leather and I'll add a short list of other watches that seemed to come rushing in my brain in a short period of time once I was enlightened.

All things Nomos
    Tudor BB
    Tudor Pelagos
    Omega Speedy pro

For me, these all seem to have something in common and satisfy that beautiful because of simplicity, balance, and personality craving part of me. While I don't own any of these, I certainly would love to in the future.

Last edited by inhaus; January 30th, 2015 at 15:49.

It is correlated with very historic events and that makes it attractive and classic. Besides, it's a great looking watch. I am an auto racing fanatic and because of that the Tag Monaco is one of my favorites. There is no other reason as I am not typically a fan of square watch designs, but I want a Monaco. The Speedmaster on the other hand is a good looking watch that I will eventually get another of. Aside from it's incredible history, it is a looker in my eyes, anyway.
    "In the Eighties we were so amazingly primitive we still thought digital watches were a pretty neat idea."

It's a classic design with a clear and easy to read dial layout. The aesthetics are timeless and the history makes people want to own one.

I would never buy one because I need a date on my watch, which is why the Mark II reissue is my "grail" watch.

{sigh.. Another one.........

Here's the thing, you either like a watch or you don't. I know that for me I pick a mechanical watch for the most part based on how it looks. If I find it an attractive watch I want it. If not, there's no amount of "educating" that is going to all the sudden make me want it.
    Visionary

I love the Speedmaster and it was the first high end watch I ever bought. I saw the watch on a used site and liked it before I ever knew anything about the space connection. The connection to the space program is kind of cool, but honestly, unless it's a watch that was actually worn on the moon, buying one just because of that connection seems kind of silly. If a $10 Timex was the watch chosen by NASA, would the Speedmaster still be as popular? I ended up selling mine because I bought a GMT Master and I liked it better. More importantly, the only way to get the Speedmaster serviced was to send it back to Omega. My local, highly experienced watchmaker said he couldn't service it because it was too complicated. That meant spending $600 and waiting months to get back a watch that cost me $700. I regret selling my Speedmaster and one day I'd like to get another one.
    Last edited by techrtr; January 30th, 2015 at 17:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron521 View Post
    Taken simply as a mechanical chronograph, there are other watches which are just as rugged, just as precise, just as durable, which have not been to the Moon, but easily could if required to do so.
    Care to provide some examples (also while explaining _why_do_we_suspect/know_ they are as rugged?) Please note that I do not want to start a flame (side) war; I mean this as a strictly technical question(esp as I am thinking of purchasing a chrono)

I have read, on the Zenith website, that an El Primero flew trans-atlantic on the wing of an airplane. This is a fairly good test IMHO. But, other than that, I have not found anything else...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information