Readjusting my sites
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By EnderW
  • 1 Post By friedricetheman
  • 1 Post By Vetnov
  • 2 Post By drhr

Thread: Readjusting my sites

Readjusting my sites

Due to financial issues I have recently had to sell some of the best watches in my collection. PP 5960, Breguet hora mundi, UN marine chronometer LE with the enamel dial, all gone. I was disappointed but I still have some very nice watches left (PP 5035, Breguet 7727 chronometrie, Rolex wg Daytona, Omega dsotm, BP fifty fathoms ceramic), and I started looking at some watches that I haven't paid attention too as of late. I recently bought a Oris big crown pro pilot with a 10 day power reserve. It has a display back and the movement looks great, the finishing is not like a Patek or a Breguet, but still impressive. It has one huge barrel which looks very cool, and 3 plates that are cut to give an interesting look as well, and as usual for a display back the balance wheel is visible. It takes a while to wind the watch but then you don't have to worry about it for 9-10 days. The other watch I picked up is a Tag Carrera Senna titanium that has a black titanium coating. I have never owned a titanium watch and as advertised they are lighter than steel. Pretty cool dial, no display back. The chronograph has an instant jump minutes hand, the rest of the chrono runs smoothly, and the pushers work well, just enough tension without being too difficult to push. Overall a cool watch.
    What this got me thinking about is even if I get back to where I can afford the watches I let go I don't think I will go there again. There is so much cool stuff at a lower price point that has just as much good technology and well designed cases and dials. Plenty to satisfy my watch jones without breaking the bank, and my bank is broken. Have any of the rest of the members had to dump some of your collection but ended up not missing those pieces as much as you thought you would? Cheers.

Stewart

Re: Readjusting my sites

I haven't had to sell any of my watches (although admittedly I never dropped PP type of $ on watches either). That said, I have a healthy appreciation for both high-end and semi-affordable watches.

I enjoy experiencing Lange and HYT and Roger Dubuis at watch shows and events. Yet, just like museum art - I can appreciate them without ownership.

Similarly, I find that there are many amazing watches at lower price-points. JLC Reverso with its unique reversing mechanism is great, Zenith ElPrimero tri-color is absolute fun and the dial is just great, humble Speedmaster with its beautiful 1861 manual movement - old but great looking (no Datograph, but beautiful in its own way), Jean Richard Terrascopes with very interesting and cool case designs (may not be AP RO, but absolutely great), RGM 801 series - movements and "interest" factor on par with many high-end offerings for me, Sinn variety and quality make it an extremely appealing brand.
    Heck even going all the way down-market there are many amazing watches - Seiko Cocktail Time dial is absolutely mesmerizing and hard t o find an equal even among multi $K offerings, a humble <$100 Vostok Amphibia is pure fun with its Steve Zisou connections, funky crown wobble and cool Scuba Dude on the dial; Seagull ST19 powered manual chronos like Seagull 1963 are absolutely great; Orange Monster is an ugly beast that is fun on the wrist in many situations, and so on...

One certainly does not have to break the bank to have a fun and interesting collection of watches. And just like art, one can appreciate fine high-end stuff without necessarily owning it.

PS> Consider changing your title to correct spelling - sights, else people may think this is a post re: technical issues like ongoing login problems with cookies
    Last edited by EnderW; June 30th, 2016 at 15:26. Reason: added PS
    TLud and Sevenmack like this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

I run a fairly tight ship as far as watch acquisition goes. To get better (read: more expensive) watches, I usually trade or sell something and add cash.
    I have my grail, which, aside from two watches gifted to me, took up all (two) of my other watches in trade, plus cash. I immediately began buying sub-$1000 (USD) watches as I dumped more money in the watch pot. Collected a few, sold them and bought a $2,000 watch, bought more "cheaper" watches, sold and bought a $4,000 watch, added more cheaper watches, etc.
    It's a cycle. I have even bought back the same model watches I sold to fund (ultimately) the grail. The $2k watch (I still have) is the fourth of its kind. A $500 watch I still have is the third time I bought the same. Another at $200 is the second revisit. I sold the $4k watch and bought a $5,800 one.
    So, yes, I have missed what I sold off, and returned to them. But none have been on the scale of yours. And as it stands, even though there are arguably "better" watches out there than my grail, it truly is the only watch at that level that I want to keep. No plans to trade up. No plans to sell and fund lesser and more examples.
    I'll just keep buying lower prices examples, get bored, sell them, add cash, and buy something better that doesn't reach the same level as my grail.
    That might be a Rolex Daytona? Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chrono? Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono?
    And for the record, here's my grail I keep referring to:

Insert "tl;dr" here. Sorry for rambling...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Apologies about the spelling error, thanks for the reply and account of some of your watch experience. I outpaced myself and stretched my finances quite thin in part from buying the watches I am now selling. It was nice to have them for a few years, but in truth it wasn't worth it with the overall cost and what we could have done with those funds. I will pay more attention to my spelling in the future.

Stewart

Watches bring me pleasure but they are luxuries. So along with other hobbies and fun things I make sure they don't occupy a significant proportion of my assets.

So, when is OP going to share pictures of his watch collection? All these talk about PP annual calendars and Blancpain FF has gotten me excited.

Give us something to gawk at buddy!
    rfortson likes this.
    Ne parle pas Francais. Parle anglais, si vous plait.

I am away from home, have been for the last 2 months, no camera or ability to post pics. I am home this Sunday the 17th, will post pics the following week. Thanks.

Stewart
    friedricetheman likes this.
    Breguet 7727, Patek 5035, Omega DSoTM, Blancpain FF bathyscaphe ceramic, Rolex Daytona, Oris big crown pro pilot, Weiss standard issue field watch

Any watch you like is a good watch, listen to opinions and advice but ultimately go with your own gut, heart, brain.

Kinda, sorta . . . when first infected, started with the usual suspects such as Lum-Tec, Tourby, Limes, Archimede, etc and over time worked my way further and further up the price (and assumably quality) spectrum toward GS, JLC, BP, Lange, PP, etc and experienced a ton of watches. All of them provided for great learning, taste maturation and enjoyment. So I've ended up with a bunch that impress enough to stay. That done (so far), going back down the spectrum to see what I may have missed, starting with these 2. Have been pleasantly surprised at what I got for money spent (had forgotten that earlier part). Who knows how it's gonna end up . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

rfortson and friedricetheman like this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Thread Information