Is this a REAL 7751 movement? Odd layout on a 'Dolmy'
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By John MS

Thread: Is this a REAL 7751 movement? Odd layout on a 'Dolmy'

Although I feel quite familiar with the layout of standard watch movements I do not understand this 7751 layout, found on a rather obscure wrist watch offered at various online stores.

AFAIK the 7751 movement has NO hands or even functions at the '3' position - in fact the 'hole' at this location makes it look a little weird. Hence many manufacturers place their logo here, to fill the gap.

But this "Dolmy" watch depicts a 2-level scale and even a 'number window', yet no hands at this position!
    One scale appears to be tachymeter, this does not make any sense to me, as a tachymeter would need a controlled stop second hand.
    The second scale has an odd 72 step interval, cannot be a telemeter, again it appears useless without a hand.
    Also the 'number' window appears to be a mockery of a 'date' (here: 10), as the 7751 has a pointer date on the main face anyway.
    Even more confusing: there is no running second hand at '9', just the 24hr scale in a BACKWARDS arrangement with some city time zone thrown around. How should this ever tell correct timezones??

Who can shed some light on this model, the company and what they may (or not) have done to the typical 7751?
    Is this just a fashion watch (like the mocked up 1/2 scale E6B Poljot I once found a fewa years ago)? Who would build a "Potekmin village" around a complex 7751??

Thanks!
    m

Name:  snap.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  81.5 KB

Can't say anything about the dial at 3, but to me it looks like the GMT dial at 9 might be a rotating disc? Since the number at the top makes no real sense and its descending numbers instead of ascending?

Re: Is this a REAL 7751 movement? Odd layout on a 'Dolmy'

I do not see a hand at 6:00 either. The watch price can be an indicator of quality so how much are they asking. Even if all those functions worked all those tiny dials look unreadable to me.
    Last edited by John MS; December 25th, 2012 at 14:51.
    Gary123 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think there is a hand at 6:00. You can tell by looking at the post where the hand mounts, you can see the base of the hand is the same as at 9:00 and 12:00.

The price would be helpful to decipher this. If it is a 7751, the watch should cost no less than $700. Because some of the data around the sub dials appears useless, it suggests the manufacturer does not care about fake features. This would be a deal breaker on a watch.
    Last edited by Gary123; December 25th, 2012 at 15:37.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

Banned

The 7751 does not have any provision for a hand at the 3 oclock position. What is that number 10 meant to indicate? There is no provision for that one either on a 7751...
    But this movement has provision for two hands at the 9 oclock subdial.

I would not walk away. I would run. Too many weird things going on here. I might be wrong, but it would surprize me if it had some funky movement not made in Switzerland inside.

The case design has also a non european feel.

Banned

The company Dolma is registered at an adress where several other brands are registered. Brands like White Star.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergarn View Post
    Can't say anything about the dial at 3, but to me it looks like the GMT dial at 9 might be a rotating disc? Since the number at the top makes no real sense and its descending numbers instead of ascending?
    YES, right after posting my question I realized that a rotating disk at '9' does indeed explain the worldtime and allows for the correct display of city times. Acually this is NOT a bad idea in combination with the fixed time zones around the dial.

The '10' in the right subdial at '3' is shown as '8' in other pictures, so it seems to change somehow, although a 7751 does NOT have room for a driving gear at this position?? According to the 7751 version chart this modification does not exist at all.
    The hand at '9' appears to be the running second as originally planned. But the scale is missing, as so often in 7751 models (only few show the needed scale, eg Longines).

The dials and number window at '3' are still a miracle to me - esp the inner scale I cannot explain at all, how to read these? How are they driven?

I do NOT intend to buy this thing, for many reasons. Its price tag is way too high for its poor quality (plastic, not water resistant...) - new 7751s can be bought new for less than what this model costs, e.g from DuBois etc.

So please keep guessing - thanks !!
    m

I just solved the riddle of both, the 'number' window and the strange double scale at '3'!

By analyzing all pictures of Dolmy watches with the 7751 it is clearly an ADDITIONAL numeric 'month' window, apparently geared 1:1 from the window below '12' (Aug=8, May=5, Oct=10). Not sure WHY anyone would need the month twice on a cramped 7751 face, but then this is my best guess.

The 'tachometer' is a simple circular look-up table! The inner ring is really a "60" grade second, and the outer shows the associated speed, eg 120 units (km/h, mph) if one unit is clocked at '30sec', or 240 if one unit is clocked at '15sec'.

So all makes sense now, sort of: a 7751 with one extra wheel at "3".

The company does have a history of using other ETAs, eg the manual 7768, so they seem to be legit, just 'odd' and not very popular.

Banned

Spend some time Googling that company and the other ones registered at that address.

Thread Information