WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Real or fake 50's Rado automatic? Help greatly appreciated!

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  shameless 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

finally joined this community after many months of lurking. Feels great to be a part of it. I'm afraid I am right away going to have to make an appeal to the vast body of watch-knowledge present here.

This week I bought a 14 kt. goldfilled Rado from the late 50's/ early 60's. I decided to see if anyone here had the same watch as I had. I came across a lot of Rado's, but almost all of the had the typical red Rado-logo on the dial. Mine hasn't and also carries the word 'incabloc', so my question is: were there ever any Rado's in the Fifties that only uses the written logo on the dial? Of course, (sorry for the cliche) I'm now wondering if I've bought a fake watch. I have some pictures of it and I really hope someone here can identify this watch for me. I've studied the typical features of a fake Rado and this watch doesn't seem to have many. It also does carry the Rado logo on the mechanism (which says 1560, by the way). Your expertise would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

CerdoFuego

Pictures:
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

See less See more
#2 ·
This is such a pleasure for me and happens so rarely. Congratulations! That is a lovely Rado you have there. The anchor logo was not introduced until 1958. Between 1951 and 1957 Schlup and Co used what we call the R line logo on their Rado branded watches. The R line logo survived on some models until around 1962. The fact that your watch has the anchor logo on the rotor and the two seahorse bayonet back leads me to believe that your watch was made not earlier than 1958 and not later than 1962. Unless it has been replace you should have a crown with an R on it rather than the anchor. There are several variations of the R crown. If you could take a picture of it, I'd love to see which variant you have.

#3 · (Edited)
Wow, thank you so much for the fast and enlightening response. Great to hear the watch is genuine and incredible that you are able to date it so specifically, just using these pictures! I've just researched the R-line logo and I am fascinated by this piece of watch making history. Unfortunately the watch is serviced before I get it, so it's not physically in my possession yet (the photo's came from seller). When I have it, I will however gladly snap a picture of the crown for you and send it to you in an PM.

Thanks again for your identification. Your enthusiasm is contagious! It just made me love this watch a bit more. You will hear from me.

CerdoFuego

#5 · (Edited)
Well, Henry has vouched for it, so that's good for you. I'll just chime in and say that it's a lovely watch. I've never seen this one before. Congrats!

And while I have the floor, I'd just like to thank Henry for being such a good and willing resource for all things Rado. He's one of the people that make this (and other) forum so useful and enjoyable.

#7 ·
At first glance everything looks good. It all looks correct.

Here is what I don't know. The first three digits of a Rado reference number represent the movement code and 646 is a genuine Rado code. I do not, however know what ETA movement 646 represents. I do not know if Rado ever used an ETA 2846, but it is highly possible that they did. It is a solid, reliable movement.

However to the best of my knowledge the 2846 was only available with 17 or 21 Jewels. It is possible that the rotor was swapped for one from, say, a 2836 as the 2846s do not have ball bearing rotors. Or it might mean worse. Are you able to ask about this without giving too much away?

#8 ·
At first glance everything looks good. It all looks correct.

Here is what I don't know. The first three digits of a Rado reference number represent the movement code and 646 is a genuine Rado code. I do not, however know what ETA movement 646 represents. I do not know if Rado ever used an ETA 2846, but it is highly possible that they did. It is a solid, reliable movement.

However to the best of my knowledge the 2846 was only available with 17 or 21 Jewels. It is possible that the rotor was swapped for one from, say, a 2836 as the 2846s do not have ball bearing rotors. Or it might mean worse. Are you able to ask about this without giving too much away?
thankyou very much for that - terrific info- i thought overall the watch was in such impeccable condition that it had been completely ovehauled albeit seemingly quite well -certainly i guess repolished - i will ask and let you know if i get an answer -thanks again buddy and for your message

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.