Really could use help deciding between two watches (first $100+ watch)
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Really could use help deciding between two watches (first $100+ watch)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Really could use help deciding between two watches (first $100+ watch)

My stepfather asked me to pick out a watch as a gift for helping him run his business since my mom passed a few months back. He asked if I could keep it under $1000, I said of course and would like to keep it under $600. Basically looking for something elegant, that fits a medium sized wrist well, and is at least 90ft water resistant.

• Option 1: Bulova Curv (amazon photo doesn't do it justice)

My wife had Kay cash, so I visited their store. They had a lot of nice Citizen and Boluva watches. Out of all of them I tried one stood way above the rest. The Bulova curv. It easily had the best feel, and look. With $200 Kay cash, 25% off Boluva/Citizen watches, it brought it down to $575 with tax. This included a lifetime plan for battery changes. I bought it, however can return it within 30 days.

https://www.amazon.com/Bulova-Chrono...ch+boluva+curv

• Option 2: Citizen Eco-Drive Titanium At4010-50e

I then looked up other watches on Amazon. The one thing I wish the Curv had was a date. So after a lot of research I found this feature rich watch that is highly praised. It is also $200 cheaper @$400 with tax. Really like the automatic time correction. While this watch looks great, the Curv scores just a bit higher in the looks department. No idea if it will feel as good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005B...rb_top?ie=UTF8

So... yeah. What do you think the best watch for me is?

Re: Really could use help deciding between two watches (first $100+ watch)

CURV by a country mile. Enjoy it!

Have this version, very comfortable and accurate.

Thats a great looking piece! Thanks for your input. Must know your watches with your kind of community engagement! Do you think the Bulova has a better build quality as well?

Any other thoughts?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by logan832 View Post
    Thats a great looking piece! Thanks for your input. Must know your watches with your kind of community engagement! Do you think the Bulova has a better build quality as well?

Any other thoughts?
    Yes, having broken 3 Citizen in the past by either dropping them or hitting them on hard object accidently, they can be fragile.

Have many Bulova and they all work as new, both quartz, mechanical, Precisionist, 262kHz, Accu-Swiss, CURV, Accutron, etc.

Last edited by yankeexpress; June 11th, 2018 at 05:32.

First question is whether you're looking for Quartz or automatic. As others I'm sure will suggest, take a look through the WRUW (what are you wearing) threads and see if anything piques your interest. I'd also ask this question in the Affordables subforum (focuses on under $1k)- there are many, many great options within your budget, it really just depends on what features/style you're looking for. I'd also suggest taking your time. Many of us here have been in the same boat starting out and the best possible thing is to take your time and look at all your options. Within your price range there are some fantastic watches - Seiko SBDC051 or 53 are gorgeous. Also take a look at WatchRecon, as you can find used (virtually brand new in many cases) at a significant reduction in price, which would allow you to get into an even nicer watch. If you're open to that, other options like a Sinn 556 or Damasko become possibilities. Oh, and also check out Stowa. Many of us on here are partial to automatic watches, so keep in mind you're probably going to get some biased opinions. Again, check out F71 (Affordables), you'll find lots of amazing options. Good luck! Oh, and unless you want to spend way too much money, buy a watch, delete your WUS account and never log in here again, then go out and enjoy it!

You guys are great, thank you! I will be weary of Citizen and will also look into that other forum.

I did stumble across this watch which is automatic and seems to have great reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000A...rb_top?ie=UTF8

Quote Originally Posted by logan832 View Post
    You guys are great, thank you! I will be weary of Citizen and will also look into that other forum.

I did stumble across this watch which is automatic and seems to have great reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000A...rb_top?ie=UTF8
    Very nice Hammy, I have the white dial version. The automatic movement is low-beat (only 6 beats per second) and that price sucks. Got mine for $220. Would have prefered the hi-beat 8bps.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Very nice Hammy, I have the white dial version. The automatic movement is low-beat (only 6 beats per second) and that price sucks. Got mine for $220. Would have prefered the hi-beat 8bps.
    Correction, I paid $310

Hamilton is a great choice, and Bulova is good, too.

Take a look at some of the Bulova Precisionist models on Youtube - personally, I love the way the second hand is perfectly smooth as it travels across the face. Here's an example - but I went for one that had contrasting colors for second hand and watch face. Good luck!

Between that two, definitely the Curv - better comfort and legibility.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information