Really Stupid Handwinding Question

Thread: Really Stupid Handwinding Question

Really Stupid Handwinding Question

I realize that this may be the stupidest question ever asked on this forum, but I just got my first hand-winding watch and was wondering whether there is a correct---or more to the point---an incorrect technique for winding the watch.

Does one turn the crown clockwise, then release the crown, reposition the fingers, then turn again? Or does one turn the crown clockwise, then, without releasing the crown, turn it back counterclockwise to the start, then turn it again?

Re: Really Stupid Handwinding Question

I release the crown so it only rotates clockwise. But I doubt that rocking it back and forth would harm it. My only evidence is that there’s no resistance to rocking it that would imply excess wear.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Mike---The video was instructive. But it didn't really address my question. She used the turn-and-release method but didn't say whether the rocker method was OK or was harmful to the movement.

It's fine, the only difference is you are giving it 1/2 a turn as opposed to a full turn. Moving the crown counter clockwise won't hurt your watch.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/ll[_\__\]
    l llL-_O|||||||O_
    ()_)()_)()_)

Your watch will only wind during a clockwise rotation. Turning the crown counter-clockwise won't do anything, so a clockwise turn-and-release (and repeat 30-40 times) is the proper sequence.
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

I've actually never considered that there was an alternate way to wind a watch.

Actually, this is not such a dumb question and one I discussed with a watch guy I used for many years, now retired, whose opinions I always respected. He advised winding with the back and forth method - never removing one's hands from the crown. I think he was being overly cautious, but his reasoning was that winding with a rocking motion was less likely to allow for the application of forces that are perpendicular to the stem. I understand his concern and I wind wind both ways, but when I wind in only one direction I am a bit careful to avoid imparting forces perpendicular to the stem.

Other than this, as a collector for many years and having talked watch talk with countless service people, I've never heard any other issue raised about technique in manually winding a watch.
    Last edited by Gary123; November 12th, 2017 at 18:13.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

I use the turn and release method though I know of people who “backpedal” in the manner you describe. I suppose that this could increase wear slightly (though I’m not sure) It certainly isn’t harmful.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon4311 View Post
    It's fine, the only difference is you are giving it 1/2 a turn as opposed to a full turn. Moving the crown counter clockwise won't hurt your watch.
    THIS---------^^^^^^^
    Thank you, I'm flattered, but, please don't click any "Likes" for me (unless there's a prize for "most likes")?

Thread Information