Really Unique Case Design... Have Others Done This...??
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Really Unique Case Design... Have Others Done This...??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello Fellow WUS'ers,

During a recent thread, I posted my Bulova Accutron 100th Anniversary watch from 1975 (only year made). I received a lot of nice compliments and made a new friend, Mr. Shameless. Peter suggested I do a thread on this and see what the results were.

I believe, and he does as well, that this may very well be the first, if not the only time, a major watch manufacturer made a case shape that mimicked their logo. I think it is such a fantastic design and am wondering if anyone knows of any others out there that have done the same thing? I'm going to exclude the Designer name brands like Gucci, D&G, etc. These are just kinda gimmicky in my opinion. A good, honest, well respected, watch manufacturer...

Also at Peter's suggestion of losing the bling - I put on a Brown Lizard, till something better comes along...:

Sorry about the photos... my digital camera went TU a few weeks ago and have not replaced, so a few cell phone pix.

Please post any you may offer.

Thanx,
    Robert
    shameless and DJW GB like this.
    "Time isn't the main thing. It is the only thing!" - Miles Davis

I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends don't let friends buy G-Schlocks.

You think I'm condescending...?? Do you even know what that means... ??

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹ I have learned that you have to put a smiley face or LOL behind anything just so people don't take you too seriously.

Re: Really Unique Case Design... Have Others Done This...??

sorry what?
    you're going to dismiss the "designer" brands for doing something to do with design on the basis that its gimmicky?

surely a "proper" watch manufacturer doing something like this is more gimmicky, no?

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

i think the leather changes the watch completely for the better Rob - isolates that unique shape

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    surely a "proper" watch manufacturer doing something like this is more gimmicky, no?
    No, I don't believe so as this was a way of Commemorating their 100th Anniversary and in a very unique way. Gimmicky... no, it was not to sell a million watches, just a one year run. I believe it was in the low 100's actually.

Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    i think the leather changes the watch completely for the better Rob - isolates that unique shape
    Thank you shameless... I think it helped as well! Don't you just hate it when your wrong?! I will be shopping for a higher quality strap.
    shameless likes this.
    "Time isn't the main thing. It is the only thing!" - Miles Davis

I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends don't let friends buy G-Schlocks.

You think I'm condescending...?? Do you even know what that means... ??

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹ I have learned that you have to put a smiley face or LOL behind anything just so people don't take you too seriously.

I don't know of any others, but I do have to say I've always liked the Bulova/accutron logo, it's no surprise it makes for a very cool shaped case.
    My Watches: Seiko Orange Monster, Orient cex0r001w, Prometheus Baiji, '84 Seiko 6309-7040, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical Field Officer's 44mm, Hamilton Pan Europ Silver, Longines Hydroconquest 41mm Blue, WUS Russian Forum Vostok 5/6 Commemorative Amphibia, Sterile 6497 Flieger, 1958 Vostok Kama, Vintage Orient King Diver, Vostok Zissou Ministry, Raven Deep Tech Vintage Blue, Rado Diastar Original Diver Blue, Helson Gauge Steel 5-60 dial
    Preordered- Helberg CH6
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door.You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to"

Can't think of any others that do, but my old Accutron Gemini chronograph had lugs that mimicked the logo as well. I thought that was a really cool touch.

Of all the watches I've sold, that's in the top 3 of ones I wish I didn't.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Yes I don't understand your offhanded dismissal of some watch makers either. However several makers of fine watches produced asymmetric watches in the 1970's including Omega and Seiko. The unique sometimes funky watch designs went well with clothing fashions of that decade.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    ... However several makers of fine watches produced asymmetric watches in the 1970's including Omega and Seiko. The unique sometimes funky watch designs went well with clothing fashions of that decade.
    Speaking of asymmetric, how could you leave Hamilton off the list? The still famous asymmetric shape of the Ventura was released and 1957 and had come and gone by the 70s.

They may never have done an logo shaped case outright but they frequently incorporate an "H" in interesting places, such as a buckle tang or even bracelet links.

Anyway, I'm actually having more trouble with coming up with a list of companies that COULD do it, instead of have. First we have to list companies that actually use a logo per se, as opposed to just trading on their name. I mean, it may well be possible to put a watch movement into the Rolex Crown or the Omega (um) Omega and then attach lugs and strap it to a wrist, but it's essentially impossible to do the same with "D.Dornblüth & Sohn".

Oh I agree...the Ventura is a classic although I think it predates the decade I was referring to. The list of interesting asymmetrics is quite long.

As to who could do it right now I think the answer is any watchmaker could. Whether they would tool up for asymmetric case production really depends on whether there is sufficient demand fir the style. I suspect there would be a small niche.
    Last edited by John MS; February 21st, 2013 at 00:33.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Oh I agree...the Ventura is a classic although I think it predates the decade I was referring to. The list of interesting asymmetrics is quite long.

As to who could do it right now I think the answer is any watchmaker could. Whether they would tool up for asymmetric case production really depends on whether there is sufficient demand fir the style. I suspect there would be a small niche.
    Absolutely right, the Ventura does predate. Though Hamilton continued to produce asymmetrics in the 70s. I pointed out the Ventura as it's the earliest example I could think of, certainly the earliest and best known. I haven't done any research to support it but it may have started the trend and I think it certainly influenced the case designs for the Bulova Accutrons as they were in direct competition. Hamilton does have an asymmetric out right now (Khaki Pilot Pioneer Quartz, with an auto version coming this year).

As to who could do it, yes, anyone could. I didn't actually mean to comment on manufacturing ability, but on the dearth of actual "logos" in the watch world. To use the easy-way-out industry comparison it certainly isn't like the car industry where each manufacturer has some type of badge as well as their name that they trade on. After that I can imagine that there are some logos that just wouldn't work all that well anyway, and clearly this is the type of thing where a willingness to do it is going to be largely based on aesthetic. Can't make a logo-shaped case without a logo to begin with, and Bulova may or may not have had it in mind when the Accutron logo was designed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information