Recent Addition - EDOX CLASS 1 DIVER 80061 3N.AIN W/DATE - :)

Thread: Recent Addition - EDOX CLASS 1 DIVER 80061 3N.AIN W/DATE - :)

Recent Addition - EDOX CLASS 1 DIVER 80061 3N.AIN W/DATE - :)

CLASS 1 DIVER 80061 W/DATE - LOVE THE FEEL OF THIS WATCH - VERY NICE COMBINATION OF MATERIALS
    Style Number:
    80061. 3N. AIN
    Series: EDOX
    Style: Mens
    Case: Stainless steel
    Watch Bracelet / Strap: Black rubber
    Watch Clasp: Push button deployment
    Movement: Swiss Automatic Movement ETA 2824 (25 Jewels)
    Crystal: sapphire
    Calendar: Date display at 6
    Dial Color: Black carbon fiber
    Dial markings: Arabic numbers and Index hour markers
    Strap: Black rubber
    Clasp Type: Push button deployment
    Calendar: Date display at 6: 00
    Movement: Swiss Automatic Movement ETA 2824 (25 Jewels)
    Water resistant to 500 meters
    Case Dimensions: 42mm wide x 12mm thick
    Strap Dimensions: 18mm wide x 10. 0 inches long -
    Special Features: Sweep second hand/Luminous hands/Black Ceramic Bezel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Recent Addition - EDOX CLASS 1 DIVER 80061 3N.AIN W/DATE - :)

What's the crown at 10 for?
    Confessed Fanboy-phobic

It's actually a Helium release valve - A helium release valve, or helium escape valve, as it is also called, is a feature found on some diving watches. It provides functionality for professional divers operating at great depths for prolonged periods of time or under saturation.
    When commercial divers operate at great depths, they often spend prolonged hours in diving bells under pressure breathing a breathing gas mix like trimix or similar, that contain the gases helium or hydrogen. Since helium molecules are the second smallest and hydrogen molecules the smallest found in nature, these gas molecules are able to work their way inside the watch, around any o-rings or other seals the watch may feature. This is not a problem as long as the divers stay under pressure, but when the decompression stops during resurfacing aren't long enough, a pressure difference builds up between the trapped gas(es) inside the watch case and its environment. Depending on the construction of the watch case and crystal, this effect can cause damage to the watch, like making the crystal pop off.
    Whilst many watch companies react to this effect by simply offering an even more robust case/crystal construction, Rolex and Doxa S.A. however thought of a different concept when they co-created the helium escape valve in the 1960s (first introduced in the Rolex Submariner/Sea-Dweller and the Doxa Conquistador): A small, spring loaded one-way valve integrated in the watch case that is activated when the differential between the inner and the outside pressure reaches a critical level. Result: The valve releases the helium, hydrogen and/or other gases used in the breathing gas mix trapped inside the watch case.
    Automatic helium release valves usually don't need any manual operation. There are however helium release valves featuring an additional screw-down crown at the side of the watch. When the diver starts to ascend, the diver simply unscrews the valve's crown to the full open position, allowing any breathing gas that may have been trapped inside the watch to escape during decompression.
    Helium release valves can primarily be found on mechanical diving watches featuring a water/pressure resistance greater than 300 m (1000 ft) and therefore positioned as more extreme dive watches. Models that feature a helium release valve include most of the Omega Seamaster series, Rolex Sea Dweller, some dive watches from the Citizen Watch Co., Ltd, Breitling, Girard-Perregaux, Panerai, all watches produced by Enzo Mechana, and selected Doxa and Oris models. Other watch manufacturers such as Seiko still offer high-level dive watches that are guaranteed safe against the effects of helium gas without needing an additional opening in the case in form of a release valve.
    That's a mouthful - hope that answers your question! thanks for looking - I love the uniqueness of the EDOX line - little surprising features incorporated into the watch that you don't really see with other brands that much these days - My seaweller has one that is less visible and I think is very much smaller than this at the 10:00 position.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats~Looks fantastic!

got outbid on this exact watch on the bay a little while back. you werent the one who outbid me were you? :oops:

great watch! wish i won that auction even more now.

Beautiful Edox dive watch.

Congrats and enjoy...
    Horological Mastermind

Smile Re: Recent Addition - EDOX CLASS 1 DIVER 80061 3N.AIN W/DATE - :)

Hey Polaco _ i did get this off of ebay - might have outbid you!- It was BN with warranty and all - I got it autheticated and ordered an extra strap from EDOX in switzerland - they are easier to deal with than the AD's - they kind of sucked and overcharged on each item - they wanted $179 for the rubber strap with dive extension - I got it direct for $75!

Anyhow, thank you for all your comments - it is definitely getting a lot of comments and questions - The guys at Tourneau in Long Island were not familiar with the brand and asked me to take it off and show it around! I gladly obliged!

Thread Information