Recommend an automatic under $400
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Recommend an automatic under $400

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommend an automatic under $400

Hello everyone,
    I know there are a few other threads like this, but they don't quite have what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a watch I can wear daily to work, generally just with a dress shirt and slacks or maybe some blue jeans, but that would also look good when I've got to wear a suit. Here are 3 watches I like, so maybe thoughts on these as well as any other suggestions?

On this Hamilton watch I like the position of the day/date at 12 instead of 3. I also like the way the hands are designed with the needle like tips.
    Hamilton's Men's Khaki King Automatic watch #H64455523: Watches: Amazon.com

I really like the overall look of this Seiko with the two circles on the left one showing the insides, and the other for the 24 clock. I also like the style they used for the roman numerals. The main thing I have against this watch is lack of date, I don't necessarily need the day, but I don't know if I could do without the date. I also already own a decent Seiko which is what I wear now, but this would be an upgrade.
    Seiko Premier White Dial Black Leather Mens Watch SSA027: Watches: Amazon.com

I really like this Tissot the more I look at it. It's nice an simple, but not boring. I really like the circle with the 0-60 numbers around the outside that slants from the case down to the dial. It's hard to see in the picture, but I think you all know what I'm referring too.
    Tissot Men's T0144301603700 PRC 200 Silver Day Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

I'm not really into the divers watches that I see a lot of people posting. I plan to buy off the "grey market" amazon or ebay, something like that. I'm hoping this gives you all a little idea of what I'm looking for and maybe you can point me to some things I might not have seen yet that are in my price range. I look forward to viewing all your suggestions! Thanks.

Re: Recommend an automatic under $400

Those are three good choices, get the one you like the most and you'll be set. The Hamilton Jazzmaster line can dress up or dress down pretty well too, worth a look if you're unfamiliar.
    Sent from my bathroom using [email protected]

And if you don't mind Chinese, Sea-Gull has lots of great options well within your price range as well. Lots of designs that can be worn formally or casually without looking out of place.
    Sent from my bathroom using [email protected]

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I do like some from the Jazzmaster line as well, but it's a little more than I wanted to spend. Especially when I found some I liked a lot for $200 or so less. I'm not sure about those Sea-Gulls, I never really considered a Chinese watch, I don't know if I'd trust the movement. Though it does look like they make a lot of the movements and have been making them for a long time so you have to assume they know what they are doing.

Tissot is a good pick in that price range. Like I mentioned in another thread, the Visodate is a classic pick in this price range and rings in just a tad above the 400 mark.

To stay under the 400 mark, the PRC is a good pick, but styling wise, I'd give the Visodate the nod and IMO its worth the extra money.

The thing with open hearts like that Seiko is they usually do away with a date (with some rare counterexamples, of course). Here are some Seiko alternatives from the Presage collection:

garry gee likes this.

Also, if you wanted to stay with a fairly affordable open heart but keep the date, Frederique Constant offers this attractive option:

The overall design seems to fit your preferences, but the cut off numerals at 12 and 6 are...upsetting.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post

Dang! I wish people would stop posting this watch! Is this the sold-out limited edition version?

For the best overall selections Hamilton will probably give you the most bang for your buck
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I like the Tissot. Great watches.
    And the ring around the dial with numbers through 60 (in this case) is called a "chapter ring".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information