Recommend me a classy on/off duty watch

Thread: Recommend me a classy on/off duty watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommend me a classy on/off duty watch

Hello all

I am looking for a new watch to wear on and off duty. First of all im a patrol officer who currently wears a Protrek PRG-240. Ive had nothing but digital watches througout the years, mainly Suunto and Casio.

Ive been very happy with Casio, but this time i'm looking for a analog watch with a bit more class and character, yet it should still be relatively tough. No metal bands please.

I was intitially looking at the Luminox Sentry, but ive read several reviews (Luminox in general) written by unhappy owners. Reliability is very important to me, so i decided to pass on Luminox.

I also had a quick peek on the G-Shock offerings, but many of the analog versions looked very busy and cluttered. I havent written them off completely though.

I saw a picture of a Citizen Royal Marine Commando on the wrist of a fellow officer and i liked it very much. It looked classy yet robust. I liked the clear and big numbers on the dial and the kevlar band.

So my questions to you gentlemen, as i dont know squat about analogs, can you recommend me a watch akin to the Citizen and in the same price range?

To sum up my wants:

Clear dial
    No metal bands
    Acceptable luminecense
    Date
    Relatively tough
    Reliable
    A stopwatch would be great, but not a dealbreaker
    Skindiving WR
    Last edited by PropThePolecat; October 4th, 2013 at 17:20.

Re: Recommend me a classy on/off duty watch

Not totally clear on your budget, and if you want quartz (analog) or mechanical (analog) ... but how about the Marathon JSAR ?

If you prefer auto / mechanical, the Orient Aviator would be another great option.
    Last edited by archimedes; October 4th, 2013 at 17:30.

My budget is around 250-300 GBP. Preferably quartz as I've been told they're more precise.

Thanks for the suggestion, the Marathon looks very nice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PropThePolecat View Post
    My budget is around 250-300 GBP. Preferably quartz as I've been told they're more precise.

Quartz should indeed generally be more accurate & more durable ....

Well over that budget, but the Seiko Tuna (SBBN015) is my other favorite quartz watch.

Quote Originally Posted by PropThePolecat View Post

It is, but it isn't "relatively tough" compared to a G-Shock or Protrek. All that the maker promises is the usual ISO dive spec - the watch will take a knock equivalent of 1.5m fall to a hard floor and go on working for a day. By comparison, a G-Shock is specced for a 10m fall ***without any damage at all.**

It looked classy yet robust.
    You can't tell you tough a watch is by looking at - it's the stuff inside the case that matters. The stuff on the outside is just "tacticool" marketing. Otoh, most quartz watches will put up with a fair amount of hard use, and quartz mechs are usually reasonably cheap to replace; unless you're doing really crazy things then you should be fine. Just don't assume that the because the Marathon looks about 5 times tougher than a plastic G-Shock that it is, because that will only lead to a trashed watch and repair bills...

You can also get nice Seiko chronographs (ie with a stopwatch) for about 100-150 pounds in the UK, and the Pulsar model that the RAF use for around 60:

But in your shoes I'd get one of these:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f220/lo...ch-922055.html

..It's a sort of "improved" version of the class British mil spec G10 watch with full face lume - which is why the face is glowing faintly peppermint in the photo (in real darkness it can be insanely bright.) These are easy to find on ebay or in Argos and cheap enough to be expendible if the worst happens.
    Last edited by scuttle; October 4th, 2013 at 20:35.

I would suggest that you ask in the Affordables Forum (F71) here, you are likely to receive more options that are reasonably priced while giving you a solid well made watch as a suggestion. Good luck.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

The Bulova Precisionist chronographs get generally good reviews too, and the 96B183 model (for example) would be within budget.

They also have models without metal bracelet, increased WR, etc ... such as 98B172.

Although I don't have personal experience with Bulova, these are watches I've been interested to try.
    Last edited by archimedes; October 4th, 2013 at 21:15.

Quote Originally Posted by scuttle View Post
    ....Just don't assume that the because the Marathon looks about 5 times tougher than a plastic G-Shock that it is, because that will only lead to a trashed watch and repair bills....
    Hmmm ... I'm fairly certain that nothing is "5 times tougher than a G-Shock" ;)

I also recommend the Lorus lumibrite, I have one and it's a personal favourite, a great little watch. I've seen the Citizen RMC too, looks lovely. Don't know if you've considered Traser watches at all? Here's the H3 P6704 'Officer Pro':

Name:  71COJclS1LL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  157.0 KB
    Name:  61kFyxsENgL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  94.2 KB
    Name:  61EWr02GaKL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  91.1 KB
    Swiss Ronda movement, tritium-type lume (never fades), clear display...etc. Not as nice as the Citizen but a hundred quid cheaper

If you're happy with G-Shocks, they do have analog models.

-hayday

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G Shock.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	1241300

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information