Recommend me good watches | Orient Ray or ...?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Recommend me good watches | Orient Ray or ...?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Member n1loy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    27

    Recommend me good watches | Orient Ray or ...?

    Hello good people of WUS! I have been lurking around for almost a week to find a good watch. So far, I really like the Orient Blue Ray, but there could be a better watch (there always is). I need your experience to make my decision easier.

    My budget: $200, that's all I can afford as a high school student.


    Features I am looking in a watch:

    1. Accuracy: That's my first priority. I don't want a watch with +- 2/3 minutes a month. This is one of the reasons I am going with Orient. Their accuracy seems promising. Casio (ana-digi) watches are tempting, but I can't find a stainless-steel version.

    2. Day/Date.

    3. Second hand (if present): Smooth movement like Ray. I will happily use a quartz with no second hand. Any watch with no tick/tock.

    4. No fancy, bling-bling, diamond, gold (can't afford them anyway). Simple stainless steel.

    5. Dial: Not too many numbers, unless the font is small, clean and legible. Blue > Black.

    6. Case diameter: Under 50mm.

    7. Usability: Anytime, anywhere. In school, in an interview, hiking, (insert any badass physical activities). I want it comfortable.

    8. Durability: Not a collector type of person. 17/7 on hand. The watch will not be treated as a barbie doll. Looking forward to 5+ years of usage.

    9. Tech: kinetic, automatic, solar.


    Not cool enough to have a number 10.
    Centropolis likes this.

  2. #2
    Member Littvay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago / Budapest (Depending on the Day of the Week)
    Posts
    191

    Re: Recommend me good watches | Orient Ray or ...?

    Get the Orient. No better value for money. And you like it. (Also, stick with automatics. They are a work of beauty.)

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    443

    Re: Recommend me good watches | Orient Ray or ...?

    Have a look at various Seiko 5 offerings. They also do divers in the SNZF range

    Also look at Orient Mako

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member jt67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    712

    Re: Recommend me good watches | Orient Ray or ...?

    Quote Originally Posted by hotmustardsauce View Post
    Have a look at various Seiko 5 offerings. They also do divers in the SNZF range

    Also look at Orient Mako
    Agree with this, Seiko 5s are amazing VFM and seem to fit your criteria well. (Also agree with Orient Mako - a forum favourite)

    Eg SNZG13 - This is only $125 (pic from Amazon)
    Name:  61PpcdkVWrL.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  73.0 KB
    Ottovonn likes this.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Western United States
    Posts
    28

    Re: Recommend me good watches | Orient Ray or ...?

    Orient Mako is the way to go in my eyes. Great watch for a great value.

  7. #6
    Moderator Public Forum Eric L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    9,327

    Re: Recommend me good watches | Orient Ray or ...?

    Check out the ubiquitous Seiko SKX007 - it is a nicer watch than the Orient Ray. Avoid the Mako - no lumed second hand. As for accuracy, to achieve a rate of +2/min a month, it would have to accurate within +4s/ day which to be honest, you are just not going to get with a low end automatic movement unless you get very very lucky. Even a prestige brand with a COSC certified movement would be lucky to attain that sort of accuracy. Expect your watch to perform whatever its specs indicate (my guess somewhere in the +/- 30s/ day range) and be ready to adjust the time as needed. You will hear all sorts of reports of how accurate other peoples' watches are, but keep in mind that anecdotal evidence does not constitute evidence *you* can expect with your own timepiece.
    Ottovonn likes this.
    Lots of dive watches.

  8. #7
    Member mpalmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Middle of the Middle West
    Posts
    27,917

    Re: Recommend me good watches | Orient Ray or ...?

    I would take a strong look at the Seiko Monster if I were you. The new or old generation, either way, it is an affordable iconic watch, ironically perhaps Seiko's most well known (despite Seiko's prominence in the midrange with SARB and higher end of watches with Grand Seiko and Spring Drive). The Monster makes a unique statement on your wrist for a high school student, has stood the test of time and can take a beating, and has the water resistance you want. If accuracy is a chief concern, you may want to grab the second generation Monster that is just coming out because it has a hacking and winding movement.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

  9. #8
    Member n1loy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    27

    Re: Recommend me good watches | Orient Ray or ...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Littvay View Post
    Get the Orient. No better value for money. And you like it. (Also, stick with automatics. They are a work of beauty.)
    The 30% off with a free watch is a good deal for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by hotmustardsauce View Post
    Have a look at various Seiko 5 offerings. They also do divers in the SNZF range

    Also look at Orient Mako
    I think Orient Ray is the Mako II.

    Quote Originally Posted by jt67 View Post
    Agree with this, Seiko 5s are amazing VFM and seem to fit your criteria well. (Also agree with Orient Mako - a forum favourite)

    Eg SNZG13 - This is only $125 (pic from Amazon)
    Name:  61PpcdkVWrL.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  73.0 KB
    This is a nice find.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric L. View Post
    Check out the ubiquitous Seiko SKX007 - it is a nicer watch than the Orient Ray. Avoid the Mako - no lumed second hand. As for accuracy, to achieve a rate of +2/min a month, it would have to accurate within +4s/ day which to be honest, you are just not going to get with a low end automatic movement unless you get very very lucky. Even a prestige brand with a COSC certified movement would be lucky to attain that sort of accuracy. Expect your watch to perform whatever its specs indicate (my guess somewhere in the +/- 30s/ day range) and be ready to adjust the time as needed. You will hear all sorts of reports of how accurate other peoples' watches are, but keep in mind that anecdotal evidence does not constitute evidence *you* can expect with your own timepiece.
    Even though luminosity isn't any factor of my purchase, Ray has a lumed second hand.

    Name:  hNkXZ.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  26.3 KB
    I can't find a stainless-steel version under $200 for that Seiko model. I agree with you on accuracy. Sometimes I feel like it's not worth going for these automatic watches.

    Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    I would take a strong look at the Seiko Monster if I were you. The new or old generation, either way, it is an affordable iconic watch, ironically perhaps Seiko's most well known (despite Seiko's prominence in the midrange with SARB and higher end of watches with Grand Seiko and Spring Drive). The Monster makes a unique statement on your wrist for a high school student, has stood the test of time and can take a beating, and has the water resistance you want. If accuracy is a chief concern, you may want to grab the second generation Monster that is just coming out because it has a hacking and winding movement.
    Seiko SKX779 is over $200 and the numbers are huge.
    Last edited by n1loy; December 29th, 2012 at 22:23.

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Middle of Hurricane Alley
    Posts
    21,244

    Re: Recommend me good watches | Orient Ray or ...?

    Seiko, Orient, and the other Japanese manufacturers have a huge range of various models in good quality, but "affordable" price.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    443

    Re: Recommend me good watches | Orient Ray or ...?

    Have a look here: Seiko diver watch - Seiko automatic diver's watch. Seiko black monster divers watches & seiko orange monster diver watches. Seiko prospex diver watch

    Also check out skywatches.sg

    Buying directly from orient watch USA will always be more expensive even with the 30% off.

    Heres what you can get for $150

    Name:  SNZF17K1_MED.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  27.5 KB

    The blue ray is a nice watch (I have one), but you might end up getting frustrated at the poor quality bracelet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •