Recommend me a watch!
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Recommend me a watch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommend me a watch!

Hello, first time poster and complete watch noob here. I'm looking to get my first real watch (my timex weekender doesn't count), which I'll try to wear daily to work and outside of work. I'm 23 and have to dress business casual, if that affects things at all. I'd like to be able to wear it in dress settings, but realistically speaking, I probably won't be in those type of situations a lot (does a date count?).

Aside from knowing that Rolexes are expensive and Omegas are a bit less expensive, I don't really know much else about watches. I like really simple, clean, and modern looking watches, preferably with date, a blue dial, and brown leather band. That does not mean metallic bands are out of the question, although they do clip my arm hair. I also have a small wrist (~6.5 inches), so I guess nothing larger than 42mm (just a guess here)?

I don't care for much else, although I'd like something with as little maintenance as possible. If changing watch batteries will be a hassle, then I'd prefer mechanical watches. Otherwise, I prefer quartz watches. If the watch has leather bands, I don't imagine water resistance being a requirement.

As for budget, I don't really have a hard limit. I prefer something cheap (less than 100), although if it is blue, modern and clean looking, has date, and comes with a brown leather band (or metal band if you can convince), I'm willing to pay 200-500 for a decent watch.

Give me everything you got guys. Are there any pros and cons to what I just described (like blue dial and dress settings don't mix)?
    Last edited by nosrep123; January 14th, 2014 at 03:21.

Re: Recommend me a watch!

Quote Originally Posted by nosrep123 View Post
    Hello, first time poster and complete watch noob here. I'm looking to get my first real watch (my timex weekender doesn't count), which I'll try to wear daily to work and outside of work. I'm 23 and have to dress business casual, if that affects things at all. I'd like to be able to wear it in dress settings, but realistically speaking, I probably won't be in those type of situations a lot (does a date count?).

Aside from knowing that Rolexes are expensive and Omegas are a bit less expensive, I don't really know much else about watches. I like really simple, clean, and modern looking watches, preferably with date, a blue dial, and brown leather band. That does not mean metallic bands are out of the question, although they do clip my arm hair. I also have a small wrist (~6.5 inches), so I guess nothing larger than 42mm (just a guess here)?

I don't care for much else, although I'd like something with as little maintenance as possible. If changing watch batteries will be a hassle, then I'd prefer mechanical watches. Otherwise, I prefer quartz watches. If the watch has leather bands, I don't imagine water resistance being a requirement.

As for budget, I don't really have a hard limit. I prefer something cheap (less than 100), although if it is blue, modern and clean looking, has date, and comes with a brown leather band (or metal band if you can convince), I'm willing to pay 200-500 for a decent watch.

Give me everything you got guys. Are there any pros and cons to what I just described (like blue dial and dress settings don't mix)?
    Get an automatic. Check out Tissot and Hamilton. An Automatic is more interesting and you will be happier I think.
    jasonjs likes this.
    TNWN

If you browse the Affordable forums, you will get many more recommendations in the sub 500 range.
    Seiko, Orient, Steinhart, Bernhardt, Citizen, are all perfect brands to check out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think you should get a quartz. If the only advantage you see in mechanicals is that you don't need to change the battery, I don't think you want a mechanical. Worrying about keeping it wound, dealing with it being less accurate than quartz, and having it conk out after however many years if you don't get it serviced (you wouldn't likely get a watch in your price range serviced) are all greater hassles than changing a battery for a low cost at literally any jewelry store once every couple of years.

EDIT: I guess I'll recommend some quartz watches, seeing that I just told you I think you should go quartz. I think this is the first time I've ever come up with quartz recommendations, so my apologies if I'm missing anything, but I believe quartz watches from Tissot, Hamilton, Victorinox, Seiko, Citizen and Bulova should all be within your budget. If you want to spend a little less, I don't think there's any shame in looking at Casio or Timex either. They may be quite inexpensive, but they are good at what they do.
    Last edited by BGPT23; January 14th, 2014 at 04:31.
    Sent from my bathroom using [email protected]

Citizen Eco-Drive, it's what I bought when I was in the same position in life. Eco-Drive solar power removes the worry about regular battery replacements being an annoyance, the price is in the ~$100 range if you shop around, the neutral colors can be worn with any color combo, and it can be worn for most any occasion.

Name:  BM6010-55A.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  174.0 KB
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

Uhm, I know this doesnt have a blue face or a brown leather strap. However it is a German made automatic dress watch with a Miyota, Im not really sure if you like this, Im just throwing it out there because options are nice.
    Name:  7360-4-2T.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  33.2 KB
    Graf Zeppelin 7360-4 Flatline open-heart watch lets you see the Miyota automatic movement whirring away every time you look at your watch. Includes a mineral exhibition caseback.
    My slowly growing collection:
    Hugo Junkers Automatic Pilot
    Torgoen T28
    Torgoen T10
    Orient Black Mako
    Orient Bambino

Use the search function and educate yourself. It will be 100 times more helpful.
    TNWatchNerd likes this.

You want the Orient Mako or Ray. The only difference is the hour markers: the Mako uses numbers, while the Ray uses dots. Without a doubt, it is the most versatile watch I own. I can dress it up with a leather strap or dress it down on a variety of NATO straps, and it also works on a bracelet or rubber. The case is neither big and nor small, perfectly sized at 41mm. It is powered by a pretty bullet proof automatic movement, and will give you years of trouble-free and worry-free enjoyment. It's also dirt cheap, and for under $200 you can easily get the watch (with black, blue or orange dial,) a leather strap and 2-3 NATO straps.

-hayday

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mako leather.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	1345089 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mako steel.jpeg 
Views:	237 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	1345090 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mako NATO.JPG 
Views:	236 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	1345091 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mako rubber.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	1345092

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imgres.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	1345104
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by hayday; January 14th, 2014 at 05:55.
    dbt001 likes this.
    The pessimist says it can't get any worse, while the optimist says it can.

You can dress up an orient mako? The orient star blue looks a lot better dressed up.

How about Hamilton Viewmatic if you want an auto,
    or Seiko Premier if you want a quartz?

There are many variations to them so you can choose the one you like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information