Recommend a titanium automatic under $1500 (CAD)
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Recommend a titanium automatic under $1500 (CAD)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommend a titanium automatic under $1500 (CAD)

Hi folks,

My fetish for titanium watches (and titanium in general) has me on the hunt for yet another timepiece. It's been quite a while since my last purchase and it seems a fair share of lovely titanium automatics seem to have come and gone, and now I'm having trouble locating anything that tickles my fancy. I'm hoping that you watch afficionados can assist me in finding one that ticks most of the boxes.

My ideal watch this time around would be as follows:

• Titanium with an automatic movement
    • Titanium bracelet
    • Preferably simple; three-handed, optimally with a day window (open to the possibility of day of the week or month and/or a GMT hand as well)
    • Black or grey dial, maybe white (though I'm open to other colours as well)
    • Hour markers all of the same variety, meaning if it has Arabic numerals then every hour marker should be an Arabic numeral as opposed to, for example, watches that combine the "12, 3, 6 and 9" hour numerals with lines/shapes for the other markers
    • Preferably 100 meter water-resistance (or better)
    • No divers; nothing against them, they just aren't my style
    • The smaller the better but anything around 44 millimeters or less should be fine
    • New condition
    • $1500 CAD or under

Wishing I had gotten a Certina DS-1 Titanium (C006.407.44.081.00) when I had the chance, since it fits the bill perfectly. Unfortunately I've only been able to find one new on eBay (which I don't completely trust when it comes to watches) for around double its MSRP from before it got discontinued.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I know it's a longshot but if anybody knows if such a watch exist it's the fine people of Watchuseek!

Re: Recommend a titanium automatic under $1500 (CAD)

You should really consider dropping the forum's big bias vs a good HAQ movement. The Citizen high end HAQs are stellar fully jeweled and finished movements. This one ticks most boxed otherwise. At the top end of your budget though.

AQ1000-58E
    Name:  imgrc0063853355.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  103.1 KB
    Name:  15687609_0.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  98.0 KB
    Core Collection:
    H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

Maybe a left-field suggestion. However, solar rather than "automatic" and the indices don't fit your bill. 36mm and probably too far under your budget for you to consider but, my, does it keep good time.

Regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm sure the Seiko SARX057 ticks all of your boxes:

Name:  S-SARX057_a_394x.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  9.3 KB

Or the SARX055 "Baby Snowflake" for the white-face alternative:

Name:  S55.png
Views: 55
Size:  491.0 KB
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour ętre heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Quote Originally Posted by SethThomas View Post
    You should really consider dropping the forum's big bias vs a good HAQ movement. The Citizen high end HAQs are stellar fully jeweled and finished movements. This one ticks most boxed otherwise. At the top end of your budget though.
    Beautiful pieces! I can't say I have much of a bias toward HAQ movements, or even quartz movements in general. I have an appreciation for solar powered quartz watches and on many occasions considered purchasing a Citizen Attesa or even a Casio Oceanus (in titanium of course ). I'm a bit of a techie so they always had a certain appeal to me. Though, there's something about an instrument strapped to your wrist that can keep time without PCBs or a battery that always draws me toward mechanical watches... Not in a snobby way, just pure fascination.

The model you suggested is definitely pushing my budget, especially taking the exchange rate and duty/taxes into account. The fact that the Canadian dollar has been so poor for around five years now is infuriating.

That being said, I will never discount solar powered quartz watches, especially if I don't succeed in finding a titanium auto that really stands out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by balaton View Post
    Maybe a left-field suggestion. However, solar rather than "automatic" and the indices don't fit your bill. 36mm and probably too far under your budget for you to consider but, my, does it keep good time.
    No such thing as "too far under my budget" my friend . As long as it's not so cheap that it's unreliable or prone to breaking then it's usually fine by me. As I mentioned in my reply to Seth, I definitely don't count solar powered watches out, they just aren't my first choice in this particular instance.

Gorgeous watch by the way. Proprietary bracelets/lug widths are a bit of a turn-off for me but that's only because I enjoy having the option of using NATO straps and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthjade View Post
    Stunning! Definitely ticks all the boxes. Comes close to the upper limit of my budget when factoring in the exchange rate/duty/taxes but this is one I'll be taking into consideration.

My vote goes to the Steinhart Ocean 500 line. 39 or 42mm, dive bezel or GMT. 500m WR, titanium bracelet and well under budget.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry, just reread and saw you don’t want a dive watch. The Steinharts are nice but pretty tool watch-y.

Bump the budget a bit and get a Tudor Pelagos two-line--Name:  E4EEA118-8AD4-48DE-9D6C-0F8A22228587.jpeg
Views: 43
Size:  1.31 MB

^ that counts as a dive watch.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour ętre heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthjade View Post

Name:  S-SARX057_a_394x.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  9.3 KB

Or the SARX055 "Baby Snowflake" for the white-face alternative:

Name:  S55.png
Views: 55
Size:  491.0 KB
    +1

My recommendation was going to be the SARX055, I’m not much of a Seiko fan but the snowflake dial & overall case design/finishing is exceptional. I don’t own a Seiko and have no real desire to but...this one continues to draw me in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information