Recommend what to buy for my first watch?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Recommend what to buy for my first watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommend what to buy for my first watch?

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to get some advice from those who have a lot more knowledge than me.

I've got to the age when I'm ready to buy my first nice watch - I'm a big fan of anything classical, leather strap and my budget is anywhere up to £650. I'd also like it to be an automatic movement.

So far I've found a Tissot Le Locle Automatic for £625.

What do you think of this watch and it's value for money? I've read that Tissot use Chinese parts as well as Swiss?

Is there any brands, watches you could recommend with that style at around £650? or should I be looking at getting something second hand?

Thanks for any advice in advance - I'm really excited for my first watch, just feel abit out of my depth!

Thanks

Re: Recommend what to buy for my first watch?

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

There are lots of decent entry-level automatics in this price bracket. Christopher Ward are British, are generally well-regarded and definitely deliver bang-for-buck. This classy automatic aviator-styled piece is precisely on budget. Swiss Sellita movement, 38 hour power reserve.

The only catch might be the size: at 44mm it's on the larger side (although not for an aviation-style piece. Would suit 7 inch plus wrists IMO).

Name:  chriswardaviator.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  146.5 KB
    CW also do dressier watches if that's more your cup of tea. Check out their website.
    The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

I’m afraid pretty much any watch at that price is going to have Chinese parts.

That’s not such a bad thing though, so don’t get too hung up on it. Read up on the quality of any particular brands and watches from people who own them and can compare them to other watches in their class.
    chuasam likes this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to WUS.
    All Swiss watches at this price range will have some Chinese components (usually cases, braceletes, etc.). I wouldn't worry about it as it's still Swiss QC behind it, and movement is mostly Swiss, and honestly Chinese can do a lot of fine work (afterall iPhone is made in China)
    Tissot LeLocle are fine entry level watches, although I think the pricing is somewhat inflated on them. In GM, many models can be had at 40% off.

Classical and leather strap - I'm thinking Tissot LeLocle or Visodate is a good choice, as can be Hamilton Jazzmaster or Intramatic.
    Others to consider: Certina DS1, most of Frederique Constant range, Chr Ward, Mido Baronceli .... many of which have $500 range models that are Swiss automatics with good specs (sapphire, etc).

I'd also give serious consideration to Japanese watches at <$1K as value is strong there. Orient Star Classic line can offer amazing value. And Seiko Presage SARX line simply can't be beat for beautiful urushi dials.
    soaking.fused likes this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Thanks for the advice - I really like the Christopher Ward Aviation pieces - but I agree with the wrist size, and mine are unfortunately very small :(...But I've been looking at thier Trident Vintage models and they look very nice also!

Matt, Chris Ward produce a very nice watch and you wouldn’t go far wrong if you got one.
    Carrera997 and soaking.fused like this.

There’s nothing wrong with Chinese parts. For that price I’d get a Stowa Partitio though.
    HerrNano and soaking.fused like this.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Banned

Welcome. Just a tad over budget.
    Last edited by priamo; November 12th, 2017 at 21:00.

Cool Re: Recommend what to buy for my first watch?

Nivrel - Coeur de la Sarrebourg, N 130.001AAHS
    A very nice vintage look and within budget.

Banned

I believe Rotary is based in UK. Should be widely available there to handle in person.
    Last edited by priamo; November 12th, 2017 at 22:31.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information