Recommendation on a good watch for camping
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Recommendation on a good watch for camping

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Recommendation on a good watch for camping

I am looking for a decent watch for camping, and want to spend under $1000. I am not familiar with very many brands, and would appreciate suggestions anyone might have. My criteria are as follows:
    - Good durability and scratch resistance (i.e. brushed stainless steel / rubber)
    - Decent water resistance
    - Good lume
    - 38 – 42 mm
    - Crown guards, or a screw in crown at a minimum
    - Date is a nice-to-have
    - Preferably mechanical (but would consider quartz if perfect otherwise)
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by cedargrove; March 11th, 2011 at 00:31. Reason: reduced my max price - WTF was I thinkiing?

lvt

Re: Recommendation on a good watch for camping

With $2,000 I'd like to have at least two watches

- A Traser quartz for camping or any sport related activities, maybe with a G-shock as backup.

- A nice dress watch (auto) for other occasions.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

lvt

Double post, deleted.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd agree with lvt, that sounds like a lot to spend on a camping watch, by their very nature field watches tend t o be inexpensive. At the other end of the price spectrum there's an interesting thread over on the Affordable forum at the moment on the same theme.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/che...es-514095.html
    Other watches that spring to mind that are closer to your requirements (although still saving you a few bucks) are the MKII Vantage or one of the Seiko Alpinist range.

EDIT: thought I'd add a bit more info on the MKII and Seikos as to my mind they meet all your requirements.

Vantage is (off the top of my head): 39mm with an ETA automatic movement a good reputation for durability and goes for about $650. Not sure about the lume but my guess is its ok. 200m WR too.
    The Seikos both got for about $450, are 38mm and have in house Seiko movements equivalent to the ETA in the Vantage. They have screw down, guarded crowns and 200m WR. The luminant they use is Seikos own which is excellent but the application of it is slightly limited due to the design of the watches. Both have internal, rotating compass bezels.
    The SARB015 (black face) comes on a nice metal bracelet. The SARB017 (green) comes on leather but you can buy the same bracelet as the 015 has for it and still be well under budget.

Alternatively you could up your budget a bit and get a used Rolex Explorer.

My recommendation (flippant Explorer inclusion aside) would be to get the MKII or one of the Seikos and a Casio Pathfinder ABC watch to go alongside it.
    Last edited by whatmeworry; March 10th, 2011 at 17:25.
    stbob likes this.
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

If you just want a watch you can beat to death, always see in the dark, not care if it get muddy, I would vote for Luminox. I have had two since they came out, the latest being the 8401 Black OPS. Sure it's quartz, not dressy, but can be had for around $300 and I assure you, you can beat the heck out of it. I've worn it for everything from hunting and fishing to playing paintball. With your savings, get your self another nice watch. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Cheers

I RECOMMEND A G-SHOCK .The only problem is you will have a bunch of money left over.Check Fry's electronics for the best price on a DW-5600E

Thanks for the responses everyone. OK, I get it, my price range is a little high for a camping watch. As mentioned I'm not very familiar with what's available, and didn't want to exlcude any good recommendations with a lower price. Glad you all had more sense than me.

I have checked out many of the suggested watches, and most of them would be perfect. The Luminox and Traser would be ideal as the lume will be very important. I was also looking at Ball, but these may be a little more than I want to spend for camping.

Thanks again, Rich

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post

Alternatively you could up your budget a bit and get a used Rolex Explorer.

My recommendation (flippant Explorer inclusion aside) would be to get the MKII or one of the Seikos and a Casio Pathfinder ABC watch to go alongside it.
    I was considering the Explorer II as the perfect camping watch. Fortunately my wife nixed that idea.

The MKIIs look interesting too. Thanks
    Last edited by cedargrove; March 10th, 2011 at 19:15.

Perfect camping watch, between $1000 and $2000? You're nuts man.

Get an anadigi G-Shock and a Pathfinder. Wear one on each wrist.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Banned
    where leaves, boatmen, dinosaurs, and a bevy of other losers pretend to play sports

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Perfect camping watch, between $1000 and $2000? You're nuts man.

Get an anadigi G-Shock and a Pathfinder. Wear one on each wrist.
    +1.

I've been an avid white-water canoeist forever - I do it in the muggyness of summer or the dead of winter, and I've been beaten about as bad as you can get in that type of situation.

I am on my 2nd Luminox - the 1st one still works, but I got a titanium on bracelet, and I just can stand to see how beat up it is these days. The new one is a carbon model on rubber, which will fare much better. I either take that, or my old solar g-shock with me. Have never been let down for any reason - moisture, shock, lume, whatever.

Anything else is just plain silly - anyone that thinks a watch with a mechanical movement is a good camping watch obviously has no idea what real camping is - take your auto diver with you if you think camping is renting a spot that comes with a picnic table and electricity.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information