Recommendation for a watch newbie
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Recommendation for a watch newbie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommendation for a watch newbie

Hello everyone.
    I am new here, and I am pretty new to watches as well so please excuse me for not using professional terms etc. Also, please excuse my English, as it is not my first, nor second language.
    I am looking for a recommendation for a man's watch.
    The price tag should be somewhere around ~200euros.

I would prefer a simple watch with not much stuff on it. It should be somewhat bigger, elegant and preferably have illumination for night.

I like the look of some pilot watches I have seen here but they are mostly over the price limit for me.

Some suggestions would be wonderful!

Thank you very much!

Re: Recommendation for a watch newbie

Welcome to the forum. Elegance and pilot style does not really go hand in hand.

On your price range and size I would recommend Parnis - good watches for about 100 $. Here are some samples (first has lume for night vision):

Thanks for the suggestion. You got the looks right! I love how the first and the third (last) one look.
    Any other suggestion, of a maybe more well known brand?

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Seiko and Citizen (especially their Eco-Drive models) are other considerations as well.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

that third Parnis looks really sweet,

I would also browse sites like Jomashop, Amazon, theWatchery, Ashford, etc just to see what's out there in your price range

other brands to consider,
    Bulova, Movado, Michael Kors, ESQ, Tissot, Raymond Weil,

and if you're going through the pre-owned route, it'll definitely give you more options, but, you do have to be more cautious when buying used watches

and welcome to the forum ~

Try grey market Hamilton, Tissot, Kadloo if you want an ETA. If you increase your budget even 50 euro you will have better luck. If you cannot find anything suitable there, you could go with Seiko, Sea-Gull, or Orient.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Chicago / Budapest (Depending on the Day of the Week)

I think what you need to figure out is if you want a mechanical or an electric watch. Electric watches are highly accurate but many watch enthusiasts think they are nothing special. Most are battery operated and the batteries last 5 or so years. Some come with cool features such as the Seiko Kinetic that uses your wrist movement to generate electricity to recharge the battery. The Citizen Eco-Drive uses a solar panel to do the same.

But if you want a true timepiece I would look for a mechanical watch. While not nearly as accurate (might have to be adjusted once every few days) but you will be wearing a true genius of fine engineering. I am partial to such watches. Among mechanical watches you have two options. Either get a hand wound watch that you have to wind every day. Or you can get an automatic that winds itself as you wear it. For good options in your price range I would look for automatic Seiko watches (Seiko 5) or Orient. These are Japanese but very respectable companies. If you are willing to spend a little bit more you might be able to pick up a swiss watch. Look at lower end Victorinox or a Hamilton Khaki. The latter dresses nicely if you put a leather band on it (which is a cheap and wasy procedure you can learn how to do youself).
    jt67 likes this.
    NOMOS Ludwig Oberlehrer / Orient Mako Yellow / Seiko 5 - SNK665K / Seiko 5 - SNKK47 / Orient Orbit - CERAK003W (for which I really need a white silicone band) / Seiko Orange Monster (2nd ed.)
    60+ Cornavin Geneve watches (with a few Russian ones), few other flea market pick ups and family hand me downs (inc. pocket watches and alarm clocks)
    Next up: Maybe a Speedy Pro, Maybe a Steelers El Primero, Maybe a nice gold watch with a 1003 or 12P or I might just swing for the grail (Royal Oak)

Mechanical watches are cool, true... but I dispute entirely the notion that they're any more a marvel of fine engineering than a quartz watch. Different sort of engineering, it is true. But, my recommendation for a first watch would always be a solar powered quartz, for the simple reason that everyone needs a grab-and-go anytime watch, and the cool factor comes later.

Anyway, the point about straps giving options is perfectly true.

If you like those shown above, I'd suggest a Citizen AO9000-06B:
    Name:  citizen-ao9000-06b_44202_1.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  58.7 KB

Or possibly, BM6400-00E:
    Name:  BM6400-00E_fullsize.png
Views: 360
Size:  227.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Littvay View Post
    I think what you need to figure out is if you want a mechanical or an electric watch. Electric watches are highly accurate but many watch enthusiasts think they are nothing special. Most are battery operated and the batteries last 5 or so years. Some come with cool features such as the Seiko Kinetic that uses your wrist movement to generate electricity to recharge the battery. The Citizen Eco-Drive uses a solar panel to do the same.

But if you want a true timepiece I would look for a mechanical watch. While not nearly as accurate (might have to be adjusted once every few days) but you will be wearing a true genius of fine engineering. I am partial to such watches. Among mechanical watches you have two options. Either get a hand wound watch that you have to wind every day. Or you can get an automatic that winds itself as you wear it. For good options in your price range I would look for automatic Seiko watches (Seiko 5) or Orient. These are Japanese but very respectable companies. If you are willing to spend a little bit more you might be able to pick up a swiss watch. Look at lower end Victorinox or a Hamilton Khaki. The latter dresses nicely if you put a leather band on it (which is a cheap and wasy procedure you can learn how to do youself).
    Agree with all this, and would add Tissot to the list if you can extend your budget any.

I would prefer an electric watch to a mechanical one. To be honest, I first need a watch that looks nice and is accurate then a one whose engineering I would admire. I can easily get one when I have more money. :)
    Any other specific suggestions? :) I would prefer if you can give me the precise model/image instead of a brand since I have been looking around but many models seem to escape me. :)

The Citizen one is not really looking to my preference.
    Sorry if I am too much of a bothering for you guys but I am just trying to find a nice watch for me. This would be the second one I wear in my life, the first one being an old Fossil Defender of some sort I got from my dad.

Hope you can help me and sorry for my english once more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information