Recommendations on a classy watch < $500

Thread: Recommendations on a classy watch < $500

Recommendations on a classy watch < $500

I'm looking for a new watch under $500 since my other two watches are broken and I'd rather buy a new watch than spend the money on repairing them. They are a Seiko Titanium Perpetual Calendar (unsure of the exact model since it's still in the mail on its way back from a Coserv repair estimate) and a 40 year old Omega Geneve.

The best description of what I'm looking for would probably be a dress watch. It would be my everday watch, but I tend to wear dress shirts even when I'm dressing down so you shouldn't be concerned about a particular watch being too dressy for everyday wear. I would prefer for it to have a date window (day is not necessary) on a white/silver dial and to come on a brown leather strap. I'm not a huge fan of chronos, but I won't completely rule it out until I see it. In general though, the simpler the better. Going with the current trend, I'd like to try something on the larger side, probably 40mm or bigger. I'm a big person (6'1, 205 lbs) but I've got relatively small wrists. I'm not sure of the proper way to measure them but I took a measuring tape and wrapped it around my wrist and it came out a tad over 6.5".

I've taken a strong liking to the Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic and Auto Chronos. Both seem like really nice watches to me. I've gone to an AD to look at them in person and have just about settled on one, but thought I would ask for some more suggestions. The Auto Chronos are a bit out of my price range, but I've been looking at some used ones. Although I generally am not a fan of chronos I think this one in particular is very tastefully done. I'm also a fan of the Jazzmaster Maestro with day/date but that's really far out of my price range. Unless one of the stocks I'm trading all of a sudden doubles in the next few days I'm not likely to be able to afford that.

Sorry for the length, but I'm quite particular about what watches I find attractive so I wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Re: Recommendations on a classy watch < $500

before i got to the end of your post, i already started thinking "Hamilton Jazzmaster" !

i would also say the seiko 6R15 line ( from higuchi) and Stowa Antea, but i believe they are a bit smaller than 40MM--around 38 or 39 MM.

i'm a fan of stowa. they make high quality watches.
    Last edited by acdelco; March 18th, 2009 at 07:15.
    --AC

Banned

I would take a look at the Orient range. For $500 you get a very swish watch, much better finished than a Hammy. If it's gotta be swiss, I prefer the Hamilton Khaki GMT World Timer jobbies to the Jazzmaster. If you would go quartz again, there are some beautiful Seikos on Higuchi and Seiya, but they may be a bit over $500.

I don't know anything about Tissot but it has a lot of fans on here, so they must be alright. Better check them out too.

The range of great watches around $500 is huge! Take your time and enjoy the search!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Perhaps have a look at a Tissot Le Locle:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post

You read my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by acdelco View Post
    before i got to the end of your post, i already started thinking "Hamilton Jazzmaster" !

i would also say the seiko 6R15 line ( from higuchi) and Stowa Antea, but i believe they are a bit smaller than 40MM--around 38 or 39 MM.

i'm a fan of stowa. they make high quality watches.
    I just looked at some of those 6R15 Sekios - they're very nice. They're a bit smaller than what I'm looking for at 37mm, and they also look somewhat similar to the Seiko I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
    I would take a look at the Orient range. For $500 you get a very swish watch, much better finished than a Hammy. If it's gotta be swiss, I prefer the Hamilton Khaki GMT World Timer jobbies to the Jazzmaster. If you would go quartz again, there are some beautiful Seikos on Higuchi and Seiya, but they may be a bit over $500.

I don't know anything about Tissot but it has a lot of fans on here, so they must be alright. Better check them out too.

The range of great watches around $500 is huge! Take your time and enjoy the search!
    I'm not a big fan of the Khaki's. For the most part they look too busy. I'm not big on watch functions that I know I won't use. I know there are a ton of watches at this price point, which is making the search quite difficult. I like watches, but I'm not ready to start a collection or make it a hobby quite yet - I've already got several hobbies, all of them expensive. Adding watches would probably put me back into a massive hole of debt. I just want something I like and I'll probably end up wearing it every day for the next 10 years, like I did with my previous Seiko.

That's a beautiful watch! I can't believe I didn't see it when I was at Tourneau in New York. The Tissot booth was right next to the Hamilton one and I took a good look at most of the watches. I'll have to do more research on this watch, thanks!

I was about to post at that too. I have one and it is stunning. My second choice in your price range would be the Hamilton Jazzmaster. Look at the Open Heart. I just ordered one.

I just pulled the trigger on a Jazzmaster Maestro on eBay. With the Live cashback at 10% I got a pretty good deal. Only exceeded my budget by a little bit (of course, I had already revised my budget upwards once) but I figure I'll probably wear this guy every day for the next 5-10 years, so it's worth it to get what I really want.

My only concern is that I didn't get to try one on before buying. It's a big watch at 45mm and the lugs look pretty big as well, although they're contoured a bit. I re-measured my wrist last night and it turns out I'm actually very slightly larger than 6.75". I've got very big hands (big enough to palm a basketball) and I'm a big guy, so hopefully it won't look too ridiculous on me. If it does, I got a good enough deal that I can flip it pretty easily without losing any money.

Thread Information