Reference Info and Websites
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tony20009

Thread: Reference Info and Websites

Reference Info and Websites

Well, I've tried unsuccessfully to get a reference section established on WUS, so I've created this thread as a place to put various bits of information that I come across and about which I've seen folks ask from time to time. I have no specific subject matter in mind, but I would like to have one place to which I and others can come to get unbiased info.

I'll just keep updating this first post as I find more "stuff" to add to it. Occasionally, I may paste in a writer's work. That info I will just put in separate posts within the thread.

As much as possible, I'm going to refrain from placing links to or copying and pasting opinion pieces as I feel that with facts, anyone -- novice, intermediate or expert -- can form their own opinions. Invariably, however, some writers provide a lot of good, factual information in what is otherwise an opinion piece, and at my own discretion, I'll ad them if I think they are worth adding.

If you'd like to contribute to this reference thread, I ask that you:
    • Adhere to forum rule 13.5 (read it if you have not or have forgotten it) and not merely re-post content from competing watch forums.
    • Refrain from posting content that is specific to a single watch or watch model. For example, fact based content about Rolex, while not the intent of this thread, would be okay, but info about the Submariner, for example, would not.

Servicing Mechanical Watches

Crystals- General Info

Crystal Polishing - Plastic

Chronographs - Pros and Cons of Integrated and Modular Approaches to Implementing Chrono Functionality

Rattrapante Chronograph Breakdown

Technical Notes: Column Wheel vs Cam Actuated Chronographs

Technical Notes: The Silicon Hairspring

Swing Escapements and Anchor Escapements

History: Water Resistant Chronographs

History: Luminescence

Al the best.

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
    ― Arthur Conan Doyle
    Last edited by tony20009; October 30th, 2014 at 17:29.
    cristitegzes likes this.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Re: Reference Info and Websites

I haven't updated this thread in a while. Sorry for that. I suspect too that this isn't a thread that holds any interest for folks who are more focused on the brand name than they are about understanding watches and what it takes to make or maintain them. Even so, I will try to make updates from time to time.

Finishing:

Watch Service:

History

The website from which the entries above come is a blog in which an aspiring watchmaker shares with us his journey as guided by the British School of Watchmaking (British School Of Watchmaking). Quite a few of his posts are interesting and entertaining. Though I don't think the writer intends his posts as reviews, they can be viewed that way by the reader. IMO, they are excellent and provide technical, detailed info and opinions that reviewers like ABTW, Monochrome, et al don't.

All the best.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Thread Information